Can you always replace “that that” with “which that”?How do you handle “that that”? The double “that” problem“that of which you” vs “that which you”“… that … with …” and “… which … with …”Can I replace “that is/are (supposed) to” with just “to”?Get in vs. get on“Replace with” versus “replace by”“IT projects gone awry…” Qualifying a reduced relative clause ruleIs a server “in the Internet” or “on the Internet”Replacing 'which' with 'that'When can you replace “of” with “from”?Two close prepositions; how do you not end with one?

How to be diplomatic in refusing to write code that breaches the privacy of our users

Personal Teleportation as a Weapon

Is a roofing delivery truck likely to crack my driveway slab?

Why Were Madagascar and New Zealand Discovered So Late?

How does a character multiclassing into warlock get a focus?

Why did Kant, Hegel, and Adorno leave some words and phrases in the Greek alphabet?

Time travel short story where a man arrives in the late 19th century in a time machine and then sends the machine back into the past

Is it correct to write "is not focus on"?

Teaching indefinite integrals that require special-casing

Why are on-board computers allowed to change controls without notifying the pilots?

What defines a dissertation?

Hostile work environment after whistle-blowing on coworker and our boss. What do I do?

Should my PhD thesis be submitted under my legal name?

Why "be dealt cards" rather than "be dealing cards"?

Confused about a passage in Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal

At which point does a character regain all their Hit Dice?

Why does John Bercow say “unlock” after reading out the results of a vote?

How can I use the arrow sign in my bash prompt?

Curses work by shouting - How to avoid collateral damage?

Do I need a multiple entry visa for a trip UK -> Sweden -> UK?

How does residential electricity work?

Valid Badminton Score?

What would be the benefits of having both a state and local currencies?

Is expanding the research of a group into machine learning as a PhD student risky?



Can you always replace “that that” with “which that”?


How do you handle “that that”? The double “that” problem“that of which you” vs “that which you”“… that … with …” and “… which … with …”Can I replace “that is/are (supposed) to” with just “to”?Get in vs. get on“Replace with” versus “replace by”“IT projects gone awry…” Qualifying a reduced relative clause ruleIs a server “in the Internet” or “on the Internet”Replacing 'which' with 'that'When can you replace “of” with “from”?Two close prepositions; how do you not end with one?













2















At least I haven't yet been able to imagine a context in which there is a clear semantic difference between "that that" and "which that". No hardware warnings, either. I've always been a bit troubled by the double-that, and I know that some spelling checkers object, but as far as I can recall none of them has ever recommended "which that" as a replacement.










share|improve this question

















  • 1





    There is no actual construction “that that” any more than there is a construction “hardware warnings” they are simply two words that are placed next to each other in order to achieve the intent of the speaker. That that is not clear to everyone is somewhat concerning.

    – Jim
    Mar 19 at 21:45











  • Well, I want to add a general broad comment thanking people for their prompt and accurate responses. In particular, I agree that the cited examples are correct, though the recent ones I had encountered "in the wild" were different. Mostly I feel distrust of my own language hardware now...

    – shanen
    Mar 20 at 10:23















2















At least I haven't yet been able to imagine a context in which there is a clear semantic difference between "that that" and "which that". No hardware warnings, either. I've always been a bit troubled by the double-that, and I know that some spelling checkers object, but as far as I can recall none of them has ever recommended "which that" as a replacement.










share|improve this question

















  • 1





    There is no actual construction “that that” any more than there is a construction “hardware warnings” they are simply two words that are placed next to each other in order to achieve the intent of the speaker. That that is not clear to everyone is somewhat concerning.

    – Jim
    Mar 19 at 21:45











  • Well, I want to add a general broad comment thanking people for their prompt and accurate responses. In particular, I agree that the cited examples are correct, though the recent ones I had encountered "in the wild" were different. Mostly I feel distrust of my own language hardware now...

    – shanen
    Mar 20 at 10:23













2












2








2








At least I haven't yet been able to imagine a context in which there is a clear semantic difference between "that that" and "which that". No hardware warnings, either. I've always been a bit troubled by the double-that, and I know that some spelling checkers object, but as far as I can recall none of them has ever recommended "which that" as a replacement.










share|improve this question














At least I haven't yet been able to imagine a context in which there is a clear semantic difference between "that that" and "which that". No hardware warnings, either. I've always been a bit troubled by the double-that, and I know that some spelling checkers object, but as far as I can recall none of them has ever recommended "which that" as a replacement.







prepositions relative-clauses






share|improve this question













share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked Mar 19 at 21:30









shanenshanen

111




111







  • 1





    There is no actual construction “that that” any more than there is a construction “hardware warnings” they are simply two words that are placed next to each other in order to achieve the intent of the speaker. That that is not clear to everyone is somewhat concerning.

    – Jim
    Mar 19 at 21:45











  • Well, I want to add a general broad comment thanking people for their prompt and accurate responses. In particular, I agree that the cited examples are correct, though the recent ones I had encountered "in the wild" were different. Mostly I feel distrust of my own language hardware now...

    – shanen
    Mar 20 at 10:23












  • 1





    There is no actual construction “that that” any more than there is a construction “hardware warnings” they are simply two words that are placed next to each other in order to achieve the intent of the speaker. That that is not clear to everyone is somewhat concerning.

    – Jim
    Mar 19 at 21:45











  • Well, I want to add a general broad comment thanking people for their prompt and accurate responses. In particular, I agree that the cited examples are correct, though the recent ones I had encountered "in the wild" were different. Mostly I feel distrust of my own language hardware now...

    – shanen
    Mar 20 at 10:23







1




1





There is no actual construction “that that” any more than there is a construction “hardware warnings” they are simply two words that are placed next to each other in order to achieve the intent of the speaker. That that is not clear to everyone is somewhat concerning.

– Jim
Mar 19 at 21:45





There is no actual construction “that that” any more than there is a construction “hardware warnings” they are simply two words that are placed next to each other in order to achieve the intent of the speaker. That that is not clear to everyone is somewhat concerning.

– Jim
Mar 19 at 21:45













Well, I want to add a general broad comment thanking people for their prompt and accurate responses. In particular, I agree that the cited examples are correct, though the recent ones I had encountered "in the wild" were different. Mostly I feel distrust of my own language hardware now...

– shanen
Mar 20 at 10:23





Well, I want to add a general broad comment thanking people for their prompt and accurate responses. In particular, I agree that the cited examples are correct, though the recent ones I had encountered "in the wild" were different. Mostly I feel distrust of my own language hardware now...

– shanen
Mar 20 at 10:23










3 Answers
3






active

oldest

votes


















2














The first valid hit I found on Ngram:




I only know that that slice of attention caused me to actually shape a
personality around the tale.




And right below it:




He assured me that that was his destination, so I hopped in.




And:




And as I grow up I would know that that is the person I am suppose to
be with for the rest of my life!




In none of those cases is replacing with "which that" valid.






share|improve this answer























  • @Tuffy - Your point being?

    – Hot Licks
    Mar 20 at 0:42











  • My comment was merely to see if four 'that's are possible. I have deleted it as off topic.

    – Tuffy
    Mar 20 at 12:08











  • @Tuffy Buffalo ** 8!

    – Hot Licks
    Mar 20 at 12:10



















0














which that may occur as a accidental collocation ("the toy which that child holds is made of wood"), but for what you probably mean you want it the other way 'round: that which.



Your first that is a demonstrative pronoun and remains the same. Only the second is a relative pronoun which can be replaced (and in my opinion should be replaced) with which.




That which does not kill us makes us stronger.







share|improve this answer























  • I don’t think that’s what Shanen is asking about – since your case doesn’t work with that that at all, it’s not a case of that that having been replaced with which that. (Though if I’m reading you correctly, you’re implying that that that doesn’t kill us… would be grammatical to you? To me, it’s not just a matter of style: it is completely ungrammatical in my head.)

    – Janus Bahs Jacquet
    Mar 19 at 21:47











  • @JanusBahsJacquet I would never use that (dem) that (rel); but my dislike for it is not universal. I think it is by descriptive canons grammatical.

    – StoneyB
    Mar 19 at 22:05


















0














No.



"I know that that isn't the answer" wouldn't work with "which that": "I know which that isn't the answer".



From the answer to this question: How do you handle "that that"? The double "that" problem



We have the subordinating that (“I know that this is the answer.”) is doubled up with a demonstrative pronoun that (“That is not the answer.”) or an adjectival that (“That answer is not it.”).



Depending on the exact sentence you can often replace the subordinating that but not always with "which".






share|improve this answer






















    Your Answer








    StackExchange.ready(function()
    var channelOptions =
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "97"
    ;
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
    createEditor();
    );

    else
    createEditor();

    );

    function createEditor()
    StackExchange.prepareEditor(
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
    convertImagesToLinks: false,
    noModals: true,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: null,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    imageUploader:
    brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
    contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
    allowUrls: true
    ,
    noCode: true, onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    );



    );













    draft saved

    draft discarded


















    StackExchange.ready(
    function ()
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fenglish.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f490465%2fcan-you-always-replace-that-that-with-which-that%23new-answer', 'question_page');

    );

    Post as a guest















    Required, but never shown

























    3 Answers
    3






    active

    oldest

    votes








    3 Answers
    3






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes









    2














    The first valid hit I found on Ngram:




    I only know that that slice of attention caused me to actually shape a
    personality around the tale.




    And right below it:




    He assured me that that was his destination, so I hopped in.




    And:




    And as I grow up I would know that that is the person I am suppose to
    be with for the rest of my life!




    In none of those cases is replacing with "which that" valid.






    share|improve this answer























    • @Tuffy - Your point being?

      – Hot Licks
      Mar 20 at 0:42











    • My comment was merely to see if four 'that's are possible. I have deleted it as off topic.

      – Tuffy
      Mar 20 at 12:08











    • @Tuffy Buffalo ** 8!

      – Hot Licks
      Mar 20 at 12:10
















    2














    The first valid hit I found on Ngram:




    I only know that that slice of attention caused me to actually shape a
    personality around the tale.




    And right below it:




    He assured me that that was his destination, so I hopped in.




    And:




    And as I grow up I would know that that is the person I am suppose to
    be with for the rest of my life!




    In none of those cases is replacing with "which that" valid.






    share|improve this answer























    • @Tuffy - Your point being?

      – Hot Licks
      Mar 20 at 0:42











    • My comment was merely to see if four 'that's are possible. I have deleted it as off topic.

      – Tuffy
      Mar 20 at 12:08











    • @Tuffy Buffalo ** 8!

      – Hot Licks
      Mar 20 at 12:10














    2












    2








    2







    The first valid hit I found on Ngram:




    I only know that that slice of attention caused me to actually shape a
    personality around the tale.




    And right below it:




    He assured me that that was his destination, so I hopped in.




    And:




    And as I grow up I would know that that is the person I am suppose to
    be with for the rest of my life!




    In none of those cases is replacing with "which that" valid.






    share|improve this answer













    The first valid hit I found on Ngram:




    I only know that that slice of attention caused me to actually shape a
    personality around the tale.




    And right below it:




    He assured me that that was his destination, so I hopped in.




    And:




    And as I grow up I would know that that is the person I am suppose to
    be with for the rest of my life!




    In none of those cases is replacing with "which that" valid.







    share|improve this answer












    share|improve this answer



    share|improve this answer










    answered Mar 19 at 21:42









    Hot LicksHot Licks

    19.2k23677




    19.2k23677












    • @Tuffy - Your point being?

      – Hot Licks
      Mar 20 at 0:42











    • My comment was merely to see if four 'that's are possible. I have deleted it as off topic.

      – Tuffy
      Mar 20 at 12:08











    • @Tuffy Buffalo ** 8!

      – Hot Licks
      Mar 20 at 12:10


















    • @Tuffy - Your point being?

      – Hot Licks
      Mar 20 at 0:42











    • My comment was merely to see if four 'that's are possible. I have deleted it as off topic.

      – Tuffy
      Mar 20 at 12:08











    • @Tuffy Buffalo ** 8!

      – Hot Licks
      Mar 20 at 12:10

















    @Tuffy - Your point being?

    – Hot Licks
    Mar 20 at 0:42





    @Tuffy - Your point being?

    – Hot Licks
    Mar 20 at 0:42













    My comment was merely to see if four 'that's are possible. I have deleted it as off topic.

    – Tuffy
    Mar 20 at 12:08





    My comment was merely to see if four 'that's are possible. I have deleted it as off topic.

    – Tuffy
    Mar 20 at 12:08













    @Tuffy Buffalo ** 8!

    – Hot Licks
    Mar 20 at 12:10






    @Tuffy Buffalo ** 8!

    – Hot Licks
    Mar 20 at 12:10














    0














    which that may occur as a accidental collocation ("the toy which that child holds is made of wood"), but for what you probably mean you want it the other way 'round: that which.



    Your first that is a demonstrative pronoun and remains the same. Only the second is a relative pronoun which can be replaced (and in my opinion should be replaced) with which.




    That which does not kill us makes us stronger.







    share|improve this answer























    • I don’t think that’s what Shanen is asking about – since your case doesn’t work with that that at all, it’s not a case of that that having been replaced with which that. (Though if I’m reading you correctly, you’re implying that that that doesn’t kill us… would be grammatical to you? To me, it’s not just a matter of style: it is completely ungrammatical in my head.)

      – Janus Bahs Jacquet
      Mar 19 at 21:47











    • @JanusBahsJacquet I would never use that (dem) that (rel); but my dislike for it is not universal. I think it is by descriptive canons grammatical.

      – StoneyB
      Mar 19 at 22:05















    0














    which that may occur as a accidental collocation ("the toy which that child holds is made of wood"), but for what you probably mean you want it the other way 'round: that which.



    Your first that is a demonstrative pronoun and remains the same. Only the second is a relative pronoun which can be replaced (and in my opinion should be replaced) with which.




    That which does not kill us makes us stronger.







    share|improve this answer























    • I don’t think that’s what Shanen is asking about – since your case doesn’t work with that that at all, it’s not a case of that that having been replaced with which that. (Though if I’m reading you correctly, you’re implying that that that doesn’t kill us… would be grammatical to you? To me, it’s not just a matter of style: it is completely ungrammatical in my head.)

      – Janus Bahs Jacquet
      Mar 19 at 21:47











    • @JanusBahsJacquet I would never use that (dem) that (rel); but my dislike for it is not universal. I think it is by descriptive canons grammatical.

      – StoneyB
      Mar 19 at 22:05













    0












    0








    0







    which that may occur as a accidental collocation ("the toy which that child holds is made of wood"), but for what you probably mean you want it the other way 'round: that which.



    Your first that is a demonstrative pronoun and remains the same. Only the second is a relative pronoun which can be replaced (and in my opinion should be replaced) with which.




    That which does not kill us makes us stronger.







    share|improve this answer













    which that may occur as a accidental collocation ("the toy which that child holds is made of wood"), but for what you probably mean you want it the other way 'round: that which.



    Your first that is a demonstrative pronoun and remains the same. Only the second is a relative pronoun which can be replaced (and in my opinion should be replaced) with which.




    That which does not kill us makes us stronger.








    share|improve this answer












    share|improve this answer



    share|improve this answer










    answered Mar 19 at 21:39









    StoneyBStoneyB

    65k3114215




    65k3114215












    • I don’t think that’s what Shanen is asking about – since your case doesn’t work with that that at all, it’s not a case of that that having been replaced with which that. (Though if I’m reading you correctly, you’re implying that that that doesn’t kill us… would be grammatical to you? To me, it’s not just a matter of style: it is completely ungrammatical in my head.)

      – Janus Bahs Jacquet
      Mar 19 at 21:47











    • @JanusBahsJacquet I would never use that (dem) that (rel); but my dislike for it is not universal. I think it is by descriptive canons grammatical.

      – StoneyB
      Mar 19 at 22:05

















    • I don’t think that’s what Shanen is asking about – since your case doesn’t work with that that at all, it’s not a case of that that having been replaced with which that. (Though if I’m reading you correctly, you’re implying that that that doesn’t kill us… would be grammatical to you? To me, it’s not just a matter of style: it is completely ungrammatical in my head.)

      – Janus Bahs Jacquet
      Mar 19 at 21:47











    • @JanusBahsJacquet I would never use that (dem) that (rel); but my dislike for it is not universal. I think it is by descriptive canons grammatical.

      – StoneyB
      Mar 19 at 22:05
















    I don’t think that’s what Shanen is asking about – since your case doesn’t work with that that at all, it’s not a case of that that having been replaced with which that. (Though if I’m reading you correctly, you’re implying that that that doesn’t kill us… would be grammatical to you? To me, it’s not just a matter of style: it is completely ungrammatical in my head.)

    – Janus Bahs Jacquet
    Mar 19 at 21:47





    I don’t think that’s what Shanen is asking about – since your case doesn’t work with that that at all, it’s not a case of that that having been replaced with which that. (Though if I’m reading you correctly, you’re implying that that that doesn’t kill us… would be grammatical to you? To me, it’s not just a matter of style: it is completely ungrammatical in my head.)

    – Janus Bahs Jacquet
    Mar 19 at 21:47













    @JanusBahsJacquet I would never use that (dem) that (rel); but my dislike for it is not universal. I think it is by descriptive canons grammatical.

    – StoneyB
    Mar 19 at 22:05





    @JanusBahsJacquet I would never use that (dem) that (rel); but my dislike for it is not universal. I think it is by descriptive canons grammatical.

    – StoneyB
    Mar 19 at 22:05











    0














    No.



    "I know that that isn't the answer" wouldn't work with "which that": "I know which that isn't the answer".



    From the answer to this question: How do you handle "that that"? The double "that" problem



    We have the subordinating that (“I know that this is the answer.”) is doubled up with a demonstrative pronoun that (“That is not the answer.”) or an adjectival that (“That answer is not it.”).



    Depending on the exact sentence you can often replace the subordinating that but not always with "which".






    share|improve this answer



























      0














      No.



      "I know that that isn't the answer" wouldn't work with "which that": "I know which that isn't the answer".



      From the answer to this question: How do you handle "that that"? The double "that" problem



      We have the subordinating that (“I know that this is the answer.”) is doubled up with a demonstrative pronoun that (“That is not the answer.”) or an adjectival that (“That answer is not it.”).



      Depending on the exact sentence you can often replace the subordinating that but not always with "which".






      share|improve this answer

























        0












        0








        0







        No.



        "I know that that isn't the answer" wouldn't work with "which that": "I know which that isn't the answer".



        From the answer to this question: How do you handle "that that"? The double "that" problem



        We have the subordinating that (“I know that this is the answer.”) is doubled up with a demonstrative pronoun that (“That is not the answer.”) or an adjectival that (“That answer is not it.”).



        Depending on the exact sentence you can often replace the subordinating that but not always with "which".






        share|improve this answer













        No.



        "I know that that isn't the answer" wouldn't work with "which that": "I know which that isn't the answer".



        From the answer to this question: How do you handle "that that"? The double "that" problem



        We have the subordinating that (“I know that this is the answer.”) is doubled up with a demonstrative pronoun that (“That is not the answer.”) or an adjectival that (“That answer is not it.”).



        Depending on the exact sentence you can often replace the subordinating that but not always with "which".







        share|improve this answer












        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer










        answered Mar 19 at 21:40









        MikeMike

        2473




        2473



























            draft saved

            draft discarded
















































            Thanks for contributing an answer to English Language & Usage Stack Exchange!


            • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

            But avoid …


            • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

            • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

            To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




            draft saved


            draft discarded














            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fenglish.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f490465%2fcan-you-always-replace-that-that-with-which-that%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest















            Required, but never shown





















































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown

































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown







            Popular posts from this blog

            Bruad Bilen | Luke uk diar | NawigatsjuunCommonskategorii: BruadCommonskategorii: RunstükenWikiquote: Bruad

            Modern approach to radio buttons

            A word for worn pool table felt