Zeal vs. Zest. Am I Using them Correctly Here?Am I using “namesake” correctly?Is “exposure” used correctly here?Am I using “gush” and “blast” correctly?using word “Responsive” correctly?Correct or correctly: “I got them all correct / correctly”?Is “correspondingly” used here correctly?Am i using the word fundamental correctly?Am I interpreting these correctly?How to interpret “pass” here?“Fair law” Is it used correctly here?

Why does Java 12 try to convert the result of a switch to a number?

What kind of floor tile is this?

Doesn't the system of the Supreme Court oppose justice?

What's the name of the logical fallacy where a debater extends a statement far beyond the original statement to make it true?

Why does a simple loop result in ASYNC_NETWORK_IO waits?

Can I cause damage to electrical appliances by unplugging them when they are turned on?

Making grids in QGIS

Were Persian-Median kings illiterate?

What is the difference between lands and mana?

How to preserve electronics (computers, iPads and phones) for hundreds of years

Can a stoichiometric mixture of oxygen and methane exist as a liquid at standard pressure and some (low) temperature?

How can ping know if my host is down

Why does the Sun have different day lengths, but not the gas giants?

How would you translate "more" for use as an interface button?

Giving feedback to someone without sounding prejudiced

Why does Carol not get rid of the Kree symbol on her suit when she changes its colours?

How can I write humor as character trait?

Why is it that I can sometimes guess the next note?

Why does AES have exactly 10 rounds for a 128-bit key, 12 for 192 bits and 14 for a 256-bit key size?

Is this part of the description of the Archfey warlock's Misty Escape feature redundant?

I found an audio circuit and I built it just fine, but I find it a bit too quiet. How do I amplify the output so that it is a bit louder?

What does "Scientists rise up against statistical significance" mean? (Comment in Nature)

Taxes on Dividends in a Roth IRA

Which was the first story featuring espers?



Zeal vs. Zest. Am I Using them Correctly Here?


Am I using “namesake” correctly?Is “exposure” used correctly here?Am I using “gush” and “blast” correctly?using word “Responsive” correctly?Correct or correctly: “I got them all correct / correctly”?Is “correspondingly” used here correctly?Am i using the word fundamental correctly?Am I interpreting these correctly?How to interpret “pass” here?“Fair law” Is it used correctly here?













0















Hello beautiful people,



I'm writing a poem and I want to make sure I'm using "zeal" and "zest" correctly. To give context, it's about a storyteller (being I) retelling a story of a man who is giving an inspiring speech and he's saying that the speech gives me such energy that I can retell it a thousand times more without getting tired:



"The zeal in his words blessed zest to my tongue - Unwearied if I a thousand times told"



I don't really get the difference between the two words. The reasons behind the word choice is a bunch of poetic devices.
Are they being used correctly here?



Thanks again!










share|improve this question







New contributor




Parsa Oveisi is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.















  • 1





    Zeal is used correctly, zest isn’t. You can refine your understand of their usage by looking up their respective definitions in a dictionary and comparing. But I’ll suggest the bigger picture here to take in is the risk of word-stuffing. A spicy word here or there to add zest enlivens a story. Too many ingredients ruin it. Be selective, and in particular never try to impress your audience with your brainpower or command of the language by artificially lobbing in “big words”. You want your readers’ attention on your story, not on you.

    – Dan Bron
    Mar 18 at 13:01












  • Allow me to ask you: You are writing a poem in English with words you don't understand? A bunch of poetic devices: Which ones exactly? The sounds in zeal, zest and blessed? Even poetically, one can't bless "zest to someone's tongue". Funnily enough, poetry has to make image sense unless it is nonsense poetry.

    – Lambie
    Mar 18 at 13:06












  • (I’ll say here too that this particular pair of words, with their unusual initial zs, exacerbates this risk, because one is noticeable but both can’t be a coincidence, and so your audience will know you’re intentionally word-stuffing, and likely judge you for it. Even if they don’t, you will certainly distract their attention and break their immersion.)

    – Dan Bron
    Mar 18 at 13:08











  • @DanBron Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it! I have looked up their definitions before but just to make sure, is "zest" used to explain energy to do something or preform a task?

    – Parsa Oveisi
    Mar 18 at 13:15






  • 1





    @ParsaOveisi No, look how I used it in my first comment. It was intended to give you a sense of how it’s used. It can be used as you describe, but that’s a metaphorical extension of its concrete meaning. The dictionary will give you both the concrete and metaphorical glosses, as well as several examples for each. But I’d prefer you focus on the bigger picture I was painting, about the risks of word stuffing, especially with this pair, and maybe reconsider using one or the other entirely, rather than focus on how to stuff both in “correctly”.

    – Dan Bron
    Mar 18 at 13:18















0















Hello beautiful people,



I'm writing a poem and I want to make sure I'm using "zeal" and "zest" correctly. To give context, it's about a storyteller (being I) retelling a story of a man who is giving an inspiring speech and he's saying that the speech gives me such energy that I can retell it a thousand times more without getting tired:



"The zeal in his words blessed zest to my tongue - Unwearied if I a thousand times told"



I don't really get the difference between the two words. The reasons behind the word choice is a bunch of poetic devices.
Are they being used correctly here?



Thanks again!










share|improve this question







New contributor




Parsa Oveisi is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.















  • 1





    Zeal is used correctly, zest isn’t. You can refine your understand of their usage by looking up their respective definitions in a dictionary and comparing. But I’ll suggest the bigger picture here to take in is the risk of word-stuffing. A spicy word here or there to add zest enlivens a story. Too many ingredients ruin it. Be selective, and in particular never try to impress your audience with your brainpower or command of the language by artificially lobbing in “big words”. You want your readers’ attention on your story, not on you.

    – Dan Bron
    Mar 18 at 13:01












  • Allow me to ask you: You are writing a poem in English with words you don't understand? A bunch of poetic devices: Which ones exactly? The sounds in zeal, zest and blessed? Even poetically, one can't bless "zest to someone's tongue". Funnily enough, poetry has to make image sense unless it is nonsense poetry.

    – Lambie
    Mar 18 at 13:06












  • (I’ll say here too that this particular pair of words, with their unusual initial zs, exacerbates this risk, because one is noticeable but both can’t be a coincidence, and so your audience will know you’re intentionally word-stuffing, and likely judge you for it. Even if they don’t, you will certainly distract their attention and break their immersion.)

    – Dan Bron
    Mar 18 at 13:08











  • @DanBron Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it! I have looked up their definitions before but just to make sure, is "zest" used to explain energy to do something or preform a task?

    – Parsa Oveisi
    Mar 18 at 13:15






  • 1





    @ParsaOveisi No, look how I used it in my first comment. It was intended to give you a sense of how it’s used. It can be used as you describe, but that’s a metaphorical extension of its concrete meaning. The dictionary will give you both the concrete and metaphorical glosses, as well as several examples for each. But I’d prefer you focus on the bigger picture I was painting, about the risks of word stuffing, especially with this pair, and maybe reconsider using one or the other entirely, rather than focus on how to stuff both in “correctly”.

    – Dan Bron
    Mar 18 at 13:18













0












0








0








Hello beautiful people,



I'm writing a poem and I want to make sure I'm using "zeal" and "zest" correctly. To give context, it's about a storyteller (being I) retelling a story of a man who is giving an inspiring speech and he's saying that the speech gives me such energy that I can retell it a thousand times more without getting tired:



"The zeal in his words blessed zest to my tongue - Unwearied if I a thousand times told"



I don't really get the difference between the two words. The reasons behind the word choice is a bunch of poetic devices.
Are they being used correctly here?



Thanks again!










share|improve this question







New contributor




Parsa Oveisi is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.












Hello beautiful people,



I'm writing a poem and I want to make sure I'm using "zeal" and "zest" correctly. To give context, it's about a storyteller (being I) retelling a story of a man who is giving an inspiring speech and he's saying that the speech gives me such energy that I can retell it a thousand times more without getting tired:



"The zeal in his words blessed zest to my tongue - Unwearied if I a thousand times told"



I don't really get the difference between the two words. The reasons behind the word choice is a bunch of poetic devices.
Are they being used correctly here?



Thanks again!







meaning word-choice meaning-in-context ambiguity poetry






share|improve this question







New contributor




Parsa Oveisi is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.











share|improve this question







New contributor




Parsa Oveisi is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.









share|improve this question




share|improve this question






New contributor




Parsa Oveisi is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.









asked Mar 18 at 12:51









Parsa OveisiParsa Oveisi

32




32




New contributor




Parsa Oveisi is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.





New contributor





Parsa Oveisi is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.






Parsa Oveisi is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.







  • 1





    Zeal is used correctly, zest isn’t. You can refine your understand of their usage by looking up their respective definitions in a dictionary and comparing. But I’ll suggest the bigger picture here to take in is the risk of word-stuffing. A spicy word here or there to add zest enlivens a story. Too many ingredients ruin it. Be selective, and in particular never try to impress your audience with your brainpower or command of the language by artificially lobbing in “big words”. You want your readers’ attention on your story, not on you.

    – Dan Bron
    Mar 18 at 13:01












  • Allow me to ask you: You are writing a poem in English with words you don't understand? A bunch of poetic devices: Which ones exactly? The sounds in zeal, zest and blessed? Even poetically, one can't bless "zest to someone's tongue". Funnily enough, poetry has to make image sense unless it is nonsense poetry.

    – Lambie
    Mar 18 at 13:06












  • (I’ll say here too that this particular pair of words, with their unusual initial zs, exacerbates this risk, because one is noticeable but both can’t be a coincidence, and so your audience will know you’re intentionally word-stuffing, and likely judge you for it. Even if they don’t, you will certainly distract their attention and break their immersion.)

    – Dan Bron
    Mar 18 at 13:08











  • @DanBron Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it! I have looked up their definitions before but just to make sure, is "zest" used to explain energy to do something or preform a task?

    – Parsa Oveisi
    Mar 18 at 13:15






  • 1





    @ParsaOveisi No, look how I used it in my first comment. It was intended to give you a sense of how it’s used. It can be used as you describe, but that’s a metaphorical extension of its concrete meaning. The dictionary will give you both the concrete and metaphorical glosses, as well as several examples for each. But I’d prefer you focus on the bigger picture I was painting, about the risks of word stuffing, especially with this pair, and maybe reconsider using one or the other entirely, rather than focus on how to stuff both in “correctly”.

    – Dan Bron
    Mar 18 at 13:18












  • 1





    Zeal is used correctly, zest isn’t. You can refine your understand of their usage by looking up their respective definitions in a dictionary and comparing. But I’ll suggest the bigger picture here to take in is the risk of word-stuffing. A spicy word here or there to add zest enlivens a story. Too many ingredients ruin it. Be selective, and in particular never try to impress your audience with your brainpower or command of the language by artificially lobbing in “big words”. You want your readers’ attention on your story, not on you.

    – Dan Bron
    Mar 18 at 13:01












  • Allow me to ask you: You are writing a poem in English with words you don't understand? A bunch of poetic devices: Which ones exactly? The sounds in zeal, zest and blessed? Even poetically, one can't bless "zest to someone's tongue". Funnily enough, poetry has to make image sense unless it is nonsense poetry.

    – Lambie
    Mar 18 at 13:06












  • (I’ll say here too that this particular pair of words, with their unusual initial zs, exacerbates this risk, because one is noticeable but both can’t be a coincidence, and so your audience will know you’re intentionally word-stuffing, and likely judge you for it. Even if they don’t, you will certainly distract their attention and break their immersion.)

    – Dan Bron
    Mar 18 at 13:08











  • @DanBron Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it! I have looked up their definitions before but just to make sure, is "zest" used to explain energy to do something or preform a task?

    – Parsa Oveisi
    Mar 18 at 13:15






  • 1





    @ParsaOveisi No, look how I used it in my first comment. It was intended to give you a sense of how it’s used. It can be used as you describe, but that’s a metaphorical extension of its concrete meaning. The dictionary will give you both the concrete and metaphorical glosses, as well as several examples for each. But I’d prefer you focus on the bigger picture I was painting, about the risks of word stuffing, especially with this pair, and maybe reconsider using one or the other entirely, rather than focus on how to stuff both in “correctly”.

    – Dan Bron
    Mar 18 at 13:18







1




1





Zeal is used correctly, zest isn’t. You can refine your understand of their usage by looking up their respective definitions in a dictionary and comparing. But I’ll suggest the bigger picture here to take in is the risk of word-stuffing. A spicy word here or there to add zest enlivens a story. Too many ingredients ruin it. Be selective, and in particular never try to impress your audience with your brainpower or command of the language by artificially lobbing in “big words”. You want your readers’ attention on your story, not on you.

– Dan Bron
Mar 18 at 13:01






Zeal is used correctly, zest isn’t. You can refine your understand of their usage by looking up their respective definitions in a dictionary and comparing. But I’ll suggest the bigger picture here to take in is the risk of word-stuffing. A spicy word here or there to add zest enlivens a story. Too many ingredients ruin it. Be selective, and in particular never try to impress your audience with your brainpower or command of the language by artificially lobbing in “big words”. You want your readers’ attention on your story, not on you.

– Dan Bron
Mar 18 at 13:01














Allow me to ask you: You are writing a poem in English with words you don't understand? A bunch of poetic devices: Which ones exactly? The sounds in zeal, zest and blessed? Even poetically, one can't bless "zest to someone's tongue". Funnily enough, poetry has to make image sense unless it is nonsense poetry.

– Lambie
Mar 18 at 13:06






Allow me to ask you: You are writing a poem in English with words you don't understand? A bunch of poetic devices: Which ones exactly? The sounds in zeal, zest and blessed? Even poetically, one can't bless "zest to someone's tongue". Funnily enough, poetry has to make image sense unless it is nonsense poetry.

– Lambie
Mar 18 at 13:06














(I’ll say here too that this particular pair of words, with their unusual initial zs, exacerbates this risk, because one is noticeable but both can’t be a coincidence, and so your audience will know you’re intentionally word-stuffing, and likely judge you for it. Even if they don’t, you will certainly distract their attention and break their immersion.)

– Dan Bron
Mar 18 at 13:08





(I’ll say here too that this particular pair of words, with their unusual initial zs, exacerbates this risk, because one is noticeable but both can’t be a coincidence, and so your audience will know you’re intentionally word-stuffing, and likely judge you for it. Even if they don’t, you will certainly distract their attention and break their immersion.)

– Dan Bron
Mar 18 at 13:08













@DanBron Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it! I have looked up their definitions before but just to make sure, is "zest" used to explain energy to do something or preform a task?

– Parsa Oveisi
Mar 18 at 13:15





@DanBron Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it! I have looked up their definitions before but just to make sure, is "zest" used to explain energy to do something or preform a task?

– Parsa Oveisi
Mar 18 at 13:15




1




1





@ParsaOveisi No, look how I used it in my first comment. It was intended to give you a sense of how it’s used. It can be used as you describe, but that’s a metaphorical extension of its concrete meaning. The dictionary will give you both the concrete and metaphorical glosses, as well as several examples for each. But I’d prefer you focus on the bigger picture I was painting, about the risks of word stuffing, especially with this pair, and maybe reconsider using one or the other entirely, rather than focus on how to stuff both in “correctly”.

– Dan Bron
Mar 18 at 13:18





@ParsaOveisi No, look how I used it in my first comment. It was intended to give you a sense of how it’s used. It can be used as you describe, but that’s a metaphorical extension of its concrete meaning. The dictionary will give you both the concrete and metaphorical glosses, as well as several examples for each. But I’d prefer you focus on the bigger picture I was painting, about the risks of word stuffing, especially with this pair, and maybe reconsider using one or the other entirely, rather than focus on how to stuff both in “correctly”.

– Dan Bron
Mar 18 at 13:18










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes


















-1














Both words can relate to enthusiasm and energy.



Zeal refers to passion or for a cause or objective sometimes extreme or fanatical manner.
http://www.memidex.com/zeal



Zest is more about enthusiasm or eagerness. It also has a secondary meaning relating to cooking - scrapiing the outer part of citrus fruit. Originally it has the sense of "thing that adds flavor" https://www.etymonline.com/word/zest






share|improve this answer






















    Your Answer








    StackExchange.ready(function()
    var channelOptions =
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "97"
    ;
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
    createEditor();
    );

    else
    createEditor();

    );

    function createEditor()
    StackExchange.prepareEditor(
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
    convertImagesToLinks: false,
    noModals: true,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: null,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    imageUploader:
    brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
    contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
    allowUrls: true
    ,
    noCode: true, onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    );



    );






    Parsa Oveisi is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.









    draft saved

    draft discarded


















    StackExchange.ready(
    function ()
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fenglish.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f490220%2fzeal-vs-zest-am-i-using-them-correctly-here%23new-answer', 'question_page');

    );

    Post as a guest















    Required, but never shown

























    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes








    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes









    -1














    Both words can relate to enthusiasm and energy.



    Zeal refers to passion or for a cause or objective sometimes extreme or fanatical manner.
    http://www.memidex.com/zeal



    Zest is more about enthusiasm or eagerness. It also has a secondary meaning relating to cooking - scrapiing the outer part of citrus fruit. Originally it has the sense of "thing that adds flavor" https://www.etymonline.com/word/zest






    share|improve this answer



























      -1














      Both words can relate to enthusiasm and energy.



      Zeal refers to passion or for a cause or objective sometimes extreme or fanatical manner.
      http://www.memidex.com/zeal



      Zest is more about enthusiasm or eagerness. It also has a secondary meaning relating to cooking - scrapiing the outer part of citrus fruit. Originally it has the sense of "thing that adds flavor" https://www.etymonline.com/word/zest






      share|improve this answer

























        -1












        -1








        -1







        Both words can relate to enthusiasm and energy.



        Zeal refers to passion or for a cause or objective sometimes extreme or fanatical manner.
        http://www.memidex.com/zeal



        Zest is more about enthusiasm or eagerness. It also has a secondary meaning relating to cooking - scrapiing the outer part of citrus fruit. Originally it has the sense of "thing that adds flavor" https://www.etymonline.com/word/zest






        share|improve this answer













        Both words can relate to enthusiasm and energy.



        Zeal refers to passion or for a cause or objective sometimes extreme or fanatical manner.
        http://www.memidex.com/zeal



        Zest is more about enthusiasm or eagerness. It also has a secondary meaning relating to cooking - scrapiing the outer part of citrus fruit. Originally it has the sense of "thing that adds flavor" https://www.etymonline.com/word/zest







        share|improve this answer












        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer










        answered Mar 18 at 14:30









        DavidDavid

        893




        893




















            Parsa Oveisi is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.









            draft saved

            draft discarded


















            Parsa Oveisi is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.












            Parsa Oveisi is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.











            Parsa Oveisi is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.














            Thanks for contributing an answer to English Language & Usage Stack Exchange!


            • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

            But avoid …


            • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

            • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

            To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




            draft saved


            draft discarded














            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fenglish.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f490220%2fzeal-vs-zest-am-i-using-them-correctly-here%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest















            Required, but never shown





















































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown

































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown







            Popular posts from this blog

            Bruad Bilen | Luke uk diar | NawigatsjuunCommonskategorii: BruadCommonskategorii: RunstükenWikiquote: Bruad

            Modern approach to radio buttons

            A word for worn pool table felt