How to find the determinant of this matrix? (A spherical-Cartesian transformation Jacobian matrix)












5












$begingroup$


I meet a difficult determinant question as the followings:
$$
text{Matrix A is given as:}
$$

$$
A=begin{bmatrix}frac{partial x}{partial r}&frac{partial x}{partialtheta}&frac{partial x}{partialphi}\frac{partial y}{partial r}&frac{partial y}{partialtheta}&frac{partial y}{partialphi}\frac{partial z}{partial r}&frac{partial z}{partialtheta}&frac{partial z}{partialphi}end{bmatrix}
$$

$$
text{where }x=rsinthetacosphitext{, }y=rsinthetasinphitext{, and }z=rcostheta.text{ Find determinants }det{(A)}text{, }det{(A^{-1})}text{, and }det{(A^2)}.
$$

I tried to simplify it, but just got:
$$
A=begin{bmatrix}sinthetacosphi&rcosthetacosphi&-rsinthetasinphi\sinthetasinphi&rcosthetasinphi&rsinthetacosphi\costheta&-rsintheta&0end{bmatrix}
$$

Because it is wired, I have also searched the Internet. But till now all I know is that this is just a spherical-Cartesian transformation formula using Jacobian matrix. (Maybe we can make a breakthough here?)

I can only solve $det{(A)}$ by directly calculating it, $det{(A)}=r^2sintheta$ .

However, I think it is still hard to find the inverse matrix, needless to say the huge calculation to get $A^2$. As I think, there must be some ways to simplify it.

Could anyone kindly teach me that whether there is any way to simplify $A$, so as to calculate the determinant?Thank you!










share|cite|improve this question









New contributor




Peter Nova is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.







$endgroup$












  • $begingroup$
    Why can't you "solve" (=calculate?) $det A$? It's bare for calculation.
    $endgroup$
    – Saucy O'Path
    yesterday










  • $begingroup$
    Thank you @Saucy O'Path, it is true that we just need to calculate, then we could get det(A)=r^2sinθ. I initially thought that maybe we could simplify A by add/sub the row/cow of the matrix to make things easier......
    $endgroup$
    – Peter Nova
    yesterday












  • $begingroup$
    Nah, it's largely a matter of grouping all the $sin^2+cos^2$ that appear when you make the products.
    $endgroup$
    – Saucy O'Path
    yesterday










  • $begingroup$
    Of course you can calculate the determinant by reducing it using properties of determinant (like this for example). This is a standard result.
    $endgroup$
    – StubbornAtom
    yesterday


















5












$begingroup$


I meet a difficult determinant question as the followings:
$$
text{Matrix A is given as:}
$$

$$
A=begin{bmatrix}frac{partial x}{partial r}&frac{partial x}{partialtheta}&frac{partial x}{partialphi}\frac{partial y}{partial r}&frac{partial y}{partialtheta}&frac{partial y}{partialphi}\frac{partial z}{partial r}&frac{partial z}{partialtheta}&frac{partial z}{partialphi}end{bmatrix}
$$

$$
text{where }x=rsinthetacosphitext{, }y=rsinthetasinphitext{, and }z=rcostheta.text{ Find determinants }det{(A)}text{, }det{(A^{-1})}text{, and }det{(A^2)}.
$$

I tried to simplify it, but just got:
$$
A=begin{bmatrix}sinthetacosphi&rcosthetacosphi&-rsinthetasinphi\sinthetasinphi&rcosthetasinphi&rsinthetacosphi\costheta&-rsintheta&0end{bmatrix}
$$

Because it is wired, I have also searched the Internet. But till now all I know is that this is just a spherical-Cartesian transformation formula using Jacobian matrix. (Maybe we can make a breakthough here?)

I can only solve $det{(A)}$ by directly calculating it, $det{(A)}=r^2sintheta$ .

However, I think it is still hard to find the inverse matrix, needless to say the huge calculation to get $A^2$. As I think, there must be some ways to simplify it.

Could anyone kindly teach me that whether there is any way to simplify $A$, so as to calculate the determinant?Thank you!










share|cite|improve this question









New contributor




Peter Nova is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.







$endgroup$












  • $begingroup$
    Why can't you "solve" (=calculate?) $det A$? It's bare for calculation.
    $endgroup$
    – Saucy O'Path
    yesterday










  • $begingroup$
    Thank you @Saucy O'Path, it is true that we just need to calculate, then we could get det(A)=r^2sinθ. I initially thought that maybe we could simplify A by add/sub the row/cow of the matrix to make things easier......
    $endgroup$
    – Peter Nova
    yesterday












  • $begingroup$
    Nah, it's largely a matter of grouping all the $sin^2+cos^2$ that appear when you make the products.
    $endgroup$
    – Saucy O'Path
    yesterday










  • $begingroup$
    Of course you can calculate the determinant by reducing it using properties of determinant (like this for example). This is a standard result.
    $endgroup$
    – StubbornAtom
    yesterday
















5












5








5


1



$begingroup$


I meet a difficult determinant question as the followings:
$$
text{Matrix A is given as:}
$$

$$
A=begin{bmatrix}frac{partial x}{partial r}&frac{partial x}{partialtheta}&frac{partial x}{partialphi}\frac{partial y}{partial r}&frac{partial y}{partialtheta}&frac{partial y}{partialphi}\frac{partial z}{partial r}&frac{partial z}{partialtheta}&frac{partial z}{partialphi}end{bmatrix}
$$

$$
text{where }x=rsinthetacosphitext{, }y=rsinthetasinphitext{, and }z=rcostheta.text{ Find determinants }det{(A)}text{, }det{(A^{-1})}text{, and }det{(A^2)}.
$$

I tried to simplify it, but just got:
$$
A=begin{bmatrix}sinthetacosphi&rcosthetacosphi&-rsinthetasinphi\sinthetasinphi&rcosthetasinphi&rsinthetacosphi\costheta&-rsintheta&0end{bmatrix}
$$

Because it is wired, I have also searched the Internet. But till now all I know is that this is just a spherical-Cartesian transformation formula using Jacobian matrix. (Maybe we can make a breakthough here?)

I can only solve $det{(A)}$ by directly calculating it, $det{(A)}=r^2sintheta$ .

However, I think it is still hard to find the inverse matrix, needless to say the huge calculation to get $A^2$. As I think, there must be some ways to simplify it.

Could anyone kindly teach me that whether there is any way to simplify $A$, so as to calculate the determinant?Thank you!










share|cite|improve this question









New contributor




Peter Nova is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.







$endgroup$




I meet a difficult determinant question as the followings:
$$
text{Matrix A is given as:}
$$

$$
A=begin{bmatrix}frac{partial x}{partial r}&frac{partial x}{partialtheta}&frac{partial x}{partialphi}\frac{partial y}{partial r}&frac{partial y}{partialtheta}&frac{partial y}{partialphi}\frac{partial z}{partial r}&frac{partial z}{partialtheta}&frac{partial z}{partialphi}end{bmatrix}
$$

$$
text{where }x=rsinthetacosphitext{, }y=rsinthetasinphitext{, and }z=rcostheta.text{ Find determinants }det{(A)}text{, }det{(A^{-1})}text{, and }det{(A^2)}.
$$

I tried to simplify it, but just got:
$$
A=begin{bmatrix}sinthetacosphi&rcosthetacosphi&-rsinthetasinphi\sinthetasinphi&rcosthetasinphi&rsinthetacosphi\costheta&-rsintheta&0end{bmatrix}
$$

Because it is wired, I have also searched the Internet. But till now all I know is that this is just a spherical-Cartesian transformation formula using Jacobian matrix. (Maybe we can make a breakthough here?)

I can only solve $det{(A)}$ by directly calculating it, $det{(A)}=r^2sintheta$ .

However, I think it is still hard to find the inverse matrix, needless to say the huge calculation to get $A^2$. As I think, there must be some ways to simplify it.

Could anyone kindly teach me that whether there is any way to simplify $A$, so as to calculate the determinant?Thank you!







linear-algebra matrices determinant






share|cite|improve this question









New contributor




Peter Nova is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.











share|cite|improve this question









New contributor




Peter Nova is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.









share|cite|improve this question




share|cite|improve this question








edited yesterday







Peter Nova













New contributor




Peter Nova is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.









asked yesterday









Peter NovaPeter Nova

284




284




New contributor




Peter Nova is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.





New contributor





Peter Nova is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.






Peter Nova is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.












  • $begingroup$
    Why can't you "solve" (=calculate?) $det A$? It's bare for calculation.
    $endgroup$
    – Saucy O'Path
    yesterday










  • $begingroup$
    Thank you @Saucy O'Path, it is true that we just need to calculate, then we could get det(A)=r^2sinθ. I initially thought that maybe we could simplify A by add/sub the row/cow of the matrix to make things easier......
    $endgroup$
    – Peter Nova
    yesterday












  • $begingroup$
    Nah, it's largely a matter of grouping all the $sin^2+cos^2$ that appear when you make the products.
    $endgroup$
    – Saucy O'Path
    yesterday










  • $begingroup$
    Of course you can calculate the determinant by reducing it using properties of determinant (like this for example). This is a standard result.
    $endgroup$
    – StubbornAtom
    yesterday




















  • $begingroup$
    Why can't you "solve" (=calculate?) $det A$? It's bare for calculation.
    $endgroup$
    – Saucy O'Path
    yesterday










  • $begingroup$
    Thank you @Saucy O'Path, it is true that we just need to calculate, then we could get det(A)=r^2sinθ. I initially thought that maybe we could simplify A by add/sub the row/cow of the matrix to make things easier......
    $endgroup$
    – Peter Nova
    yesterday












  • $begingroup$
    Nah, it's largely a matter of grouping all the $sin^2+cos^2$ that appear when you make the products.
    $endgroup$
    – Saucy O'Path
    yesterday










  • $begingroup$
    Of course you can calculate the determinant by reducing it using properties of determinant (like this for example). This is a standard result.
    $endgroup$
    – StubbornAtom
    yesterday


















$begingroup$
Why can't you "solve" (=calculate?) $det A$? It's bare for calculation.
$endgroup$
– Saucy O'Path
yesterday




$begingroup$
Why can't you "solve" (=calculate?) $det A$? It's bare for calculation.
$endgroup$
– Saucy O'Path
yesterday












$begingroup$
Thank you @Saucy O'Path, it is true that we just need to calculate, then we could get det(A)=r^2sinθ. I initially thought that maybe we could simplify A by add/sub the row/cow of the matrix to make things easier......
$endgroup$
– Peter Nova
yesterday






$begingroup$
Thank you @Saucy O'Path, it is true that we just need to calculate, then we could get det(A)=r^2sinθ. I initially thought that maybe we could simplify A by add/sub the row/cow of the matrix to make things easier......
$endgroup$
– Peter Nova
yesterday














$begingroup$
Nah, it's largely a matter of grouping all the $sin^2+cos^2$ that appear when you make the products.
$endgroup$
– Saucy O'Path
yesterday




$begingroup$
Nah, it's largely a matter of grouping all the $sin^2+cos^2$ that appear when you make the products.
$endgroup$
– Saucy O'Path
yesterday












$begingroup$
Of course you can calculate the determinant by reducing it using properties of determinant (like this for example). This is a standard result.
$endgroup$
– StubbornAtom
yesterday






$begingroup$
Of course you can calculate the determinant by reducing it using properties of determinant (like this for example). This is a standard result.
$endgroup$
– StubbornAtom
yesterday












2 Answers
2






active

oldest

votes


















2












$begingroup$

By using the Rule of Sarrus,
$$begin{align}
det{(A)}&=(sin{theta}cos{phi})(rcos{theta}sin{phi})(0)\
&,,,+(sin{theta}sin{phi})(-rsin{theta})(-rsin{thetasin{phi}})\
&,,,+(cos{theta})(rcos{theta}cos{phi})(rsin{theta}cos{phi})\
&,,,-(-rsin{theta}sin{phi})(rcos{theta}sin{phi})(cos{theta})\
&,,,-(rsin{theta}cos{phi})(-rsin{theta})(sin{theta}cos{phi})\
&,,,-(0)(rcos{theta}cos{phi})(sin{theta}sin{phi})\
&=0+r^2sin^3{theta}sin^2{phi}+r^2sin{theta}cos^2{theta}cos^2{phi}+r^2sin{theta}sin^2{phi}cos^2{theta}+r^2sin^3{theta}cos^2{phi}-0\
&=r^2sin^3{theta}(sin^2{phi}+cos^2{phi})+r^2sin{theta}cos^2{theta}(sin^2{phi}+cos^2{phi})\
&=r^2sin^3{theta}+r^2sin{theta}cos^2{theta}\
&=r^2sin{theta}(sin^2{theta}+cos^2{theta})\
&boxed{=r^2sin{theta}}\
end{align}$$

Now in order to find $det{(A^{-1})}$ and $det{(A^2)}$ we can use the fact that $det{(AB)}=det{(A)}cdotdet{(B)}$ to get
$$det{(I)}=det{(AA^{-1})}=det{(A)}det{(A^{-1})}=r^2sin{theta}det{(A^{-1})}=1$$
$$therefore det{(A^{-1})}=frac{1}{r^2sin{theta}}$$
$$det{(A^2)}=(det{(A)})^2=(r^2sin{theta})^2=r^4sin^2{theta}$$






share|cite|improve this answer









$endgroup$













  • $begingroup$
    Thank you so much! I thought too much on determinant calculation and simplification, but ignored the most important thing -- A is also a matrix. Thank you! I will remember this lesson.
    $endgroup$
    – Peter Nova
    yesterday



















4












$begingroup$

If you were really clever (e.g., if you already knew the answer, or thought hard about what a Jacobian in a different coordinate system represents), you could compute $det(A)$ by computing $det(B)det(A) = det (BA)$, where $det B$ was particularly easy.



Picking
$$
B = pmatrix{cos phi & sin phi & 0 \
-sin phi & cos phi, & 0 \
0 & 0 & 1}
$$

generates a matrix $BA$ whose form is rather simpler than that of $A$ (there's no $phi$, for instance!), while $det B$ is evidently $1$.



But I thing the question-asker's intent here is that you're just supposed to do the algebra and practice trig simplification.






share|cite|improve this answer









$endgroup$













  • $begingroup$
    Yeah... I just only thought about the calculation method from a determinant prospect, just want to somehow simplify it. But I ignored A is also a matrix... Thank you for your answer too! (But I think maybe I cannot think up this B immediately =-O , I will fight in the future study)
    $endgroup$
    – Peter Nova
    yesterday












Your Answer





StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function () {
return StackExchange.using("mathjaxEditing", function () {
StackExchange.MarkdownEditor.creationCallbacks.add(function (editor, postfix) {
StackExchange.mathjaxEditing.prepareWmdForMathJax(editor, postfix, [["$", "$"], ["\\(","\\)"]]);
});
});
}, "mathjax-editing");

StackExchange.ready(function() {
var channelOptions = {
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "69"
};
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function() {
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled) {
StackExchange.using("snippets", function() {
createEditor();
});
}
else {
createEditor();
}
});

function createEditor() {
StackExchange.prepareEditor({
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader: {
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
},
noCode: true, onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
});


}
});






Peter Nova is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.










draft saved

draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function () {
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fmath.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f3179472%2fhow-to-find-the-determinant-of-this-matrix-a-spherical-cartesian-transformatio%23new-answer', 'question_page');
}
);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown

























2 Answers
2






active

oldest

votes








2 Answers
2






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes









2












$begingroup$

By using the Rule of Sarrus,
$$begin{align}
det{(A)}&=(sin{theta}cos{phi})(rcos{theta}sin{phi})(0)\
&,,,+(sin{theta}sin{phi})(-rsin{theta})(-rsin{thetasin{phi}})\
&,,,+(cos{theta})(rcos{theta}cos{phi})(rsin{theta}cos{phi})\
&,,,-(-rsin{theta}sin{phi})(rcos{theta}sin{phi})(cos{theta})\
&,,,-(rsin{theta}cos{phi})(-rsin{theta})(sin{theta}cos{phi})\
&,,,-(0)(rcos{theta}cos{phi})(sin{theta}sin{phi})\
&=0+r^2sin^3{theta}sin^2{phi}+r^2sin{theta}cos^2{theta}cos^2{phi}+r^2sin{theta}sin^2{phi}cos^2{theta}+r^2sin^3{theta}cos^2{phi}-0\
&=r^2sin^3{theta}(sin^2{phi}+cos^2{phi})+r^2sin{theta}cos^2{theta}(sin^2{phi}+cos^2{phi})\
&=r^2sin^3{theta}+r^2sin{theta}cos^2{theta}\
&=r^2sin{theta}(sin^2{theta}+cos^2{theta})\
&boxed{=r^2sin{theta}}\
end{align}$$

Now in order to find $det{(A^{-1})}$ and $det{(A^2)}$ we can use the fact that $det{(AB)}=det{(A)}cdotdet{(B)}$ to get
$$det{(I)}=det{(AA^{-1})}=det{(A)}det{(A^{-1})}=r^2sin{theta}det{(A^{-1})}=1$$
$$therefore det{(A^{-1})}=frac{1}{r^2sin{theta}}$$
$$det{(A^2)}=(det{(A)})^2=(r^2sin{theta})^2=r^4sin^2{theta}$$






share|cite|improve this answer









$endgroup$













  • $begingroup$
    Thank you so much! I thought too much on determinant calculation and simplification, but ignored the most important thing -- A is also a matrix. Thank you! I will remember this lesson.
    $endgroup$
    – Peter Nova
    yesterday
















2












$begingroup$

By using the Rule of Sarrus,
$$begin{align}
det{(A)}&=(sin{theta}cos{phi})(rcos{theta}sin{phi})(0)\
&,,,+(sin{theta}sin{phi})(-rsin{theta})(-rsin{thetasin{phi}})\
&,,,+(cos{theta})(rcos{theta}cos{phi})(rsin{theta}cos{phi})\
&,,,-(-rsin{theta}sin{phi})(rcos{theta}sin{phi})(cos{theta})\
&,,,-(rsin{theta}cos{phi})(-rsin{theta})(sin{theta}cos{phi})\
&,,,-(0)(rcos{theta}cos{phi})(sin{theta}sin{phi})\
&=0+r^2sin^3{theta}sin^2{phi}+r^2sin{theta}cos^2{theta}cos^2{phi}+r^2sin{theta}sin^2{phi}cos^2{theta}+r^2sin^3{theta}cos^2{phi}-0\
&=r^2sin^3{theta}(sin^2{phi}+cos^2{phi})+r^2sin{theta}cos^2{theta}(sin^2{phi}+cos^2{phi})\
&=r^2sin^3{theta}+r^2sin{theta}cos^2{theta}\
&=r^2sin{theta}(sin^2{theta}+cos^2{theta})\
&boxed{=r^2sin{theta}}\
end{align}$$

Now in order to find $det{(A^{-1})}$ and $det{(A^2)}$ we can use the fact that $det{(AB)}=det{(A)}cdotdet{(B)}$ to get
$$det{(I)}=det{(AA^{-1})}=det{(A)}det{(A^{-1})}=r^2sin{theta}det{(A^{-1})}=1$$
$$therefore det{(A^{-1})}=frac{1}{r^2sin{theta}}$$
$$det{(A^2)}=(det{(A)})^2=(r^2sin{theta})^2=r^4sin^2{theta}$$






share|cite|improve this answer









$endgroup$













  • $begingroup$
    Thank you so much! I thought too much on determinant calculation and simplification, but ignored the most important thing -- A is also a matrix. Thank you! I will remember this lesson.
    $endgroup$
    – Peter Nova
    yesterday














2












2








2





$begingroup$

By using the Rule of Sarrus,
$$begin{align}
det{(A)}&=(sin{theta}cos{phi})(rcos{theta}sin{phi})(0)\
&,,,+(sin{theta}sin{phi})(-rsin{theta})(-rsin{thetasin{phi}})\
&,,,+(cos{theta})(rcos{theta}cos{phi})(rsin{theta}cos{phi})\
&,,,-(-rsin{theta}sin{phi})(rcos{theta}sin{phi})(cos{theta})\
&,,,-(rsin{theta}cos{phi})(-rsin{theta})(sin{theta}cos{phi})\
&,,,-(0)(rcos{theta}cos{phi})(sin{theta}sin{phi})\
&=0+r^2sin^3{theta}sin^2{phi}+r^2sin{theta}cos^2{theta}cos^2{phi}+r^2sin{theta}sin^2{phi}cos^2{theta}+r^2sin^3{theta}cos^2{phi}-0\
&=r^2sin^3{theta}(sin^2{phi}+cos^2{phi})+r^2sin{theta}cos^2{theta}(sin^2{phi}+cos^2{phi})\
&=r^2sin^3{theta}+r^2sin{theta}cos^2{theta}\
&=r^2sin{theta}(sin^2{theta}+cos^2{theta})\
&boxed{=r^2sin{theta}}\
end{align}$$

Now in order to find $det{(A^{-1})}$ and $det{(A^2)}$ we can use the fact that $det{(AB)}=det{(A)}cdotdet{(B)}$ to get
$$det{(I)}=det{(AA^{-1})}=det{(A)}det{(A^{-1})}=r^2sin{theta}det{(A^{-1})}=1$$
$$therefore det{(A^{-1})}=frac{1}{r^2sin{theta}}$$
$$det{(A^2)}=(det{(A)})^2=(r^2sin{theta})^2=r^4sin^2{theta}$$






share|cite|improve this answer









$endgroup$



By using the Rule of Sarrus,
$$begin{align}
det{(A)}&=(sin{theta}cos{phi})(rcos{theta}sin{phi})(0)\
&,,,+(sin{theta}sin{phi})(-rsin{theta})(-rsin{thetasin{phi}})\
&,,,+(cos{theta})(rcos{theta}cos{phi})(rsin{theta}cos{phi})\
&,,,-(-rsin{theta}sin{phi})(rcos{theta}sin{phi})(cos{theta})\
&,,,-(rsin{theta}cos{phi})(-rsin{theta})(sin{theta}cos{phi})\
&,,,-(0)(rcos{theta}cos{phi})(sin{theta}sin{phi})\
&=0+r^2sin^3{theta}sin^2{phi}+r^2sin{theta}cos^2{theta}cos^2{phi}+r^2sin{theta}sin^2{phi}cos^2{theta}+r^2sin^3{theta}cos^2{phi}-0\
&=r^2sin^3{theta}(sin^2{phi}+cos^2{phi})+r^2sin{theta}cos^2{theta}(sin^2{phi}+cos^2{phi})\
&=r^2sin^3{theta}+r^2sin{theta}cos^2{theta}\
&=r^2sin{theta}(sin^2{theta}+cos^2{theta})\
&boxed{=r^2sin{theta}}\
end{align}$$

Now in order to find $det{(A^{-1})}$ and $det{(A^2)}$ we can use the fact that $det{(AB)}=det{(A)}cdotdet{(B)}$ to get
$$det{(I)}=det{(AA^{-1})}=det{(A)}det{(A^{-1})}=r^2sin{theta}det{(A^{-1})}=1$$
$$therefore det{(A^{-1})}=frac{1}{r^2sin{theta}}$$
$$det{(A^2)}=(det{(A)})^2=(r^2sin{theta})^2=r^4sin^2{theta}$$







share|cite|improve this answer












share|cite|improve this answer



share|cite|improve this answer










answered yesterday









Peter ForemanPeter Foreman

6,6341318




6,6341318












  • $begingroup$
    Thank you so much! I thought too much on determinant calculation and simplification, but ignored the most important thing -- A is also a matrix. Thank you! I will remember this lesson.
    $endgroup$
    – Peter Nova
    yesterday


















  • $begingroup$
    Thank you so much! I thought too much on determinant calculation and simplification, but ignored the most important thing -- A is also a matrix. Thank you! I will remember this lesson.
    $endgroup$
    – Peter Nova
    yesterday
















$begingroup$
Thank you so much! I thought too much on determinant calculation and simplification, but ignored the most important thing -- A is also a matrix. Thank you! I will remember this lesson.
$endgroup$
– Peter Nova
yesterday




$begingroup$
Thank you so much! I thought too much on determinant calculation and simplification, but ignored the most important thing -- A is also a matrix. Thank you! I will remember this lesson.
$endgroup$
– Peter Nova
yesterday











4












$begingroup$

If you were really clever (e.g., if you already knew the answer, or thought hard about what a Jacobian in a different coordinate system represents), you could compute $det(A)$ by computing $det(B)det(A) = det (BA)$, where $det B$ was particularly easy.



Picking
$$
B = pmatrix{cos phi & sin phi & 0 \
-sin phi & cos phi, & 0 \
0 & 0 & 1}
$$

generates a matrix $BA$ whose form is rather simpler than that of $A$ (there's no $phi$, for instance!), while $det B$ is evidently $1$.



But I thing the question-asker's intent here is that you're just supposed to do the algebra and practice trig simplification.






share|cite|improve this answer









$endgroup$













  • $begingroup$
    Yeah... I just only thought about the calculation method from a determinant prospect, just want to somehow simplify it. But I ignored A is also a matrix... Thank you for your answer too! (But I think maybe I cannot think up this B immediately =-O , I will fight in the future study)
    $endgroup$
    – Peter Nova
    yesterday
















4












$begingroup$

If you were really clever (e.g., if you already knew the answer, or thought hard about what a Jacobian in a different coordinate system represents), you could compute $det(A)$ by computing $det(B)det(A) = det (BA)$, where $det B$ was particularly easy.



Picking
$$
B = pmatrix{cos phi & sin phi & 0 \
-sin phi & cos phi, & 0 \
0 & 0 & 1}
$$

generates a matrix $BA$ whose form is rather simpler than that of $A$ (there's no $phi$, for instance!), while $det B$ is evidently $1$.



But I thing the question-asker's intent here is that you're just supposed to do the algebra and practice trig simplification.






share|cite|improve this answer









$endgroup$













  • $begingroup$
    Yeah... I just only thought about the calculation method from a determinant prospect, just want to somehow simplify it. But I ignored A is also a matrix... Thank you for your answer too! (But I think maybe I cannot think up this B immediately =-O , I will fight in the future study)
    $endgroup$
    – Peter Nova
    yesterday














4












4








4





$begingroup$

If you were really clever (e.g., if you already knew the answer, or thought hard about what a Jacobian in a different coordinate system represents), you could compute $det(A)$ by computing $det(B)det(A) = det (BA)$, where $det B$ was particularly easy.



Picking
$$
B = pmatrix{cos phi & sin phi & 0 \
-sin phi & cos phi, & 0 \
0 & 0 & 1}
$$

generates a matrix $BA$ whose form is rather simpler than that of $A$ (there's no $phi$, for instance!), while $det B$ is evidently $1$.



But I thing the question-asker's intent here is that you're just supposed to do the algebra and practice trig simplification.






share|cite|improve this answer









$endgroup$



If you were really clever (e.g., if you already knew the answer, or thought hard about what a Jacobian in a different coordinate system represents), you could compute $det(A)$ by computing $det(B)det(A) = det (BA)$, where $det B$ was particularly easy.



Picking
$$
B = pmatrix{cos phi & sin phi & 0 \
-sin phi & cos phi, & 0 \
0 & 0 & 1}
$$

generates a matrix $BA$ whose form is rather simpler than that of $A$ (there's no $phi$, for instance!), while $det B$ is evidently $1$.



But I thing the question-asker's intent here is that you're just supposed to do the algebra and practice trig simplification.







share|cite|improve this answer












share|cite|improve this answer



share|cite|improve this answer










answered yesterday









John HughesJohn Hughes

65.4k24293




65.4k24293












  • $begingroup$
    Yeah... I just only thought about the calculation method from a determinant prospect, just want to somehow simplify it. But I ignored A is also a matrix... Thank you for your answer too! (But I think maybe I cannot think up this B immediately =-O , I will fight in the future study)
    $endgroup$
    – Peter Nova
    yesterday


















  • $begingroup$
    Yeah... I just only thought about the calculation method from a determinant prospect, just want to somehow simplify it. But I ignored A is also a matrix... Thank you for your answer too! (But I think maybe I cannot think up this B immediately =-O , I will fight in the future study)
    $endgroup$
    – Peter Nova
    yesterday
















$begingroup$
Yeah... I just only thought about the calculation method from a determinant prospect, just want to somehow simplify it. But I ignored A is also a matrix... Thank you for your answer too! (But I think maybe I cannot think up this B immediately =-O , I will fight in the future study)
$endgroup$
– Peter Nova
yesterday




$begingroup$
Yeah... I just only thought about the calculation method from a determinant prospect, just want to somehow simplify it. But I ignored A is also a matrix... Thank you for your answer too! (But I think maybe I cannot think up this B immediately =-O , I will fight in the future study)
$endgroup$
– Peter Nova
yesterday










Peter Nova is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.










draft saved

draft discarded


















Peter Nova is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.













Peter Nova is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.












Peter Nova is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.
















Thanks for contributing an answer to Mathematics Stack Exchange!


  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid …



  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.


Use MathJax to format equations. MathJax reference.


To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function () {
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fmath.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f3179472%2fhow-to-find-the-determinant-of-this-matrix-a-spherical-cartesian-transformatio%23new-answer', 'question_page');
}
);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown





















































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown

































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown







Popular posts from this blog

Bruad Bilen | Luke uk diar | NawigatsjuunCommonskategorii: BruadCommonskategorii: RunstükenWikiquote: Bruad

Modern approach to radio buttons

A word for worn pool table felt