Number of elements in a factor ring












3












$begingroup$


I am presented with $f(x) = 2x^3 + 3x^2 + 1$ $in mathbb{Z_5}[x]$ and need to explain why $F = frac{mathbb{Z_5}[x]}{f(x)}$ is a field and also find how many elements are in F.



So far I have shown that $f(x)$ is an irreducible polynomial and I also know that,




If $f(x)$ is an irreducible polynomial in $mathbb{Z_5}[x]$, then the factor ring $frac{mathbb{Z_5}[x]}{f(x)}$ is also a field.




Basically I am not sure how to properly find the factor ring F and also determine how many elements are in it.



Thanks in advance










share|cite|improve this question









$endgroup$

















    3












    $begingroup$


    I am presented with $f(x) = 2x^3 + 3x^2 + 1$ $in mathbb{Z_5}[x]$ and need to explain why $F = frac{mathbb{Z_5}[x]}{f(x)}$ is a field and also find how many elements are in F.



    So far I have shown that $f(x)$ is an irreducible polynomial and I also know that,




    If $f(x)$ is an irreducible polynomial in $mathbb{Z_5}[x]$, then the factor ring $frac{mathbb{Z_5}[x]}{f(x)}$ is also a field.




    Basically I am not sure how to properly find the factor ring F and also determine how many elements are in it.



    Thanks in advance










    share|cite|improve this question









    $endgroup$















      3












      3








      3





      $begingroup$


      I am presented with $f(x) = 2x^3 + 3x^2 + 1$ $in mathbb{Z_5}[x]$ and need to explain why $F = frac{mathbb{Z_5}[x]}{f(x)}$ is a field and also find how many elements are in F.



      So far I have shown that $f(x)$ is an irreducible polynomial and I also know that,




      If $f(x)$ is an irreducible polynomial in $mathbb{Z_5}[x]$, then the factor ring $frac{mathbb{Z_5}[x]}{f(x)}$ is also a field.




      Basically I am not sure how to properly find the factor ring F and also determine how many elements are in it.



      Thanks in advance










      share|cite|improve this question









      $endgroup$




      I am presented with $f(x) = 2x^3 + 3x^2 + 1$ $in mathbb{Z_5}[x]$ and need to explain why $F = frac{mathbb{Z_5}[x]}{f(x)}$ is a field and also find how many elements are in F.



      So far I have shown that $f(x)$ is an irreducible polynomial and I also know that,




      If $f(x)$ is an irreducible polynomial in $mathbb{Z_5}[x]$, then the factor ring $frac{mathbb{Z_5}[x]}{f(x)}$ is also a field.




      Basically I am not sure how to properly find the factor ring F and also determine how many elements are in it.



      Thanks in advance







      abstract-algebra






      share|cite|improve this question













      share|cite|improve this question











      share|cite|improve this question




      share|cite|improve this question










      asked yesterday









      MathsRookieMathsRookie

      1237




      1237






















          4 Answers
          4






          active

          oldest

          votes


















          3












          $begingroup$

          Well, in general, if a field $L$ is an extension field of some field $K$, then $L$ is also a $K$-vector space.



          If $f$ is an irreducible polynomial of degree $n$ over, say, ${Bbb Z}_p$, then
          the quotient field ${Bbb Z}_p[x]/langle frangle$ has $p^n$ elements and is a vector space over ${Bbb Z}_p$ of dimension $n$.






          share|cite|improve this answer











          $endgroup$





















            2












            $begingroup$

            Hint: Use the division algorithm to find canonical representatives for each residue class $g(x) + (f(x))$.






            share|cite|improve this answer









            $endgroup$





















              0












              $begingroup$

              Outline:



              You know $Bbb Z_5[x]/I$ where $I=langle f(x) rangle $ is a field using the mentioned result. Now, the task is to find $|Bbb Z_5[x]/I |$. Here $Bbb Z_5[x]/I$ can be considered as an entension of $Bbb Z_5$. Also $$dim_Bbb {Z_5} (Bbb Z_5[x]/I)=3=deg f$$



              Call ${v_1,v_2,v_3}$ the basis of $Bbb Z_5[x]/I$ over $Bbb Z_5$



              Now arbitrarily pick $f(x)+I in Bbb Z_5[x]/I$. Then $$f(x)+I=a_1v_1+a_2v_2+a_3v_3;;;a_i in Bbb Z_5$$



              There are $5 times 5 times 5$ choices to choose the coefficients, so $$text{number of such $f(x)+I$ }=5^3=|Bbb Z_5[x]/I|$$






              share|cite|improve this answer









              $endgroup$





















                0












                $begingroup$

                Note that two polynomials $g(x)$ and $h(x)$, both of degree 2 or less, will represent different elements in $F$. This is due to the fact that their difference
                $g(x)-h(x)$ being of degree less than 3, cannot be a multiple of the cubic polynomials $f(x)=2x^3+3x^2+1$, and so belong to different cosets.



                Now a polynomial $h(x)$ of degree 3 or more can be divided by $f(x)$ to get quotient $q(x)$ and remainder $r(x)$
                such that $h(x)=q(x)f(x) + r(x)$



                Clearly $r(x)$ and $h(x)$ will represent the same coset. This shows that the field $F$ in your question simply consists of polynomials of degree less than $3$. This is easy to count as each coefficient has only a finite number of choices.






                share|cite|improve this answer









                $endgroup$














                  Your Answer





                  StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function () {
                  return StackExchange.using("mathjaxEditing", function () {
                  StackExchange.MarkdownEditor.creationCallbacks.add(function (editor, postfix) {
                  StackExchange.mathjaxEditing.prepareWmdForMathJax(editor, postfix, [["$", "$"], ["\\(","\\)"]]);
                  });
                  });
                  }, "mathjax-editing");

                  StackExchange.ready(function() {
                  var channelOptions = {
                  tags: "".split(" "),
                  id: "69"
                  };
                  initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

                  StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function() {
                  // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
                  if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled) {
                  StackExchange.using("snippets", function() {
                  createEditor();
                  });
                  }
                  else {
                  createEditor();
                  }
                  });

                  function createEditor() {
                  StackExchange.prepareEditor({
                  heartbeatType: 'answer',
                  autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
                  convertImagesToLinks: true,
                  noModals: true,
                  showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
                  reputationToPostImages: 10,
                  bindNavPrevention: true,
                  postfix: "",
                  imageUploader: {
                  brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
                  contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
                  allowUrls: true
                  },
                  noCode: true, onDemand: true,
                  discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
                  ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
                  });


                  }
                  });














                  draft saved

                  draft discarded


















                  StackExchange.ready(
                  function () {
                  StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fmath.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f3179438%2fnumber-of-elements-in-a-factor-ring%23new-answer', 'question_page');
                  }
                  );

                  Post as a guest















                  Required, but never shown

























                  4 Answers
                  4






                  active

                  oldest

                  votes








                  4 Answers
                  4






                  active

                  oldest

                  votes









                  active

                  oldest

                  votes






                  active

                  oldest

                  votes









                  3












                  $begingroup$

                  Well, in general, if a field $L$ is an extension field of some field $K$, then $L$ is also a $K$-vector space.



                  If $f$ is an irreducible polynomial of degree $n$ over, say, ${Bbb Z}_p$, then
                  the quotient field ${Bbb Z}_p[x]/langle frangle$ has $p^n$ elements and is a vector space over ${Bbb Z}_p$ of dimension $n$.






                  share|cite|improve this answer











                  $endgroup$


















                    3












                    $begingroup$

                    Well, in general, if a field $L$ is an extension field of some field $K$, then $L$ is also a $K$-vector space.



                    If $f$ is an irreducible polynomial of degree $n$ over, say, ${Bbb Z}_p$, then
                    the quotient field ${Bbb Z}_p[x]/langle frangle$ has $p^n$ elements and is a vector space over ${Bbb Z}_p$ of dimension $n$.






                    share|cite|improve this answer











                    $endgroup$
















                      3












                      3








                      3





                      $begingroup$

                      Well, in general, if a field $L$ is an extension field of some field $K$, then $L$ is also a $K$-vector space.



                      If $f$ is an irreducible polynomial of degree $n$ over, say, ${Bbb Z}_p$, then
                      the quotient field ${Bbb Z}_p[x]/langle frangle$ has $p^n$ elements and is a vector space over ${Bbb Z}_p$ of dimension $n$.






                      share|cite|improve this answer











                      $endgroup$



                      Well, in general, if a field $L$ is an extension field of some field $K$, then $L$ is also a $K$-vector space.



                      If $f$ is an irreducible polynomial of degree $n$ over, say, ${Bbb Z}_p$, then
                      the quotient field ${Bbb Z}_p[x]/langle frangle$ has $p^n$ elements and is a vector space over ${Bbb Z}_p$ of dimension $n$.







                      share|cite|improve this answer














                      share|cite|improve this answer



                      share|cite|improve this answer








                      edited yesterday

























                      answered yesterday









                      WuestenfuxWuestenfux

                      5,4841513




                      5,4841513























                          2












                          $begingroup$

                          Hint: Use the division algorithm to find canonical representatives for each residue class $g(x) + (f(x))$.






                          share|cite|improve this answer









                          $endgroup$


















                            2












                            $begingroup$

                            Hint: Use the division algorithm to find canonical representatives for each residue class $g(x) + (f(x))$.






                            share|cite|improve this answer









                            $endgroup$
















                              2












                              2








                              2





                              $begingroup$

                              Hint: Use the division algorithm to find canonical representatives for each residue class $g(x) + (f(x))$.






                              share|cite|improve this answer









                              $endgroup$



                              Hint: Use the division algorithm to find canonical representatives for each residue class $g(x) + (f(x))$.







                              share|cite|improve this answer












                              share|cite|improve this answer



                              share|cite|improve this answer










                              answered yesterday









                              lhflhf

                              167k11172404




                              167k11172404























                                  0












                                  $begingroup$

                                  Outline:



                                  You know $Bbb Z_5[x]/I$ where $I=langle f(x) rangle $ is a field using the mentioned result. Now, the task is to find $|Bbb Z_5[x]/I |$. Here $Bbb Z_5[x]/I$ can be considered as an entension of $Bbb Z_5$. Also $$dim_Bbb {Z_5} (Bbb Z_5[x]/I)=3=deg f$$



                                  Call ${v_1,v_2,v_3}$ the basis of $Bbb Z_5[x]/I$ over $Bbb Z_5$



                                  Now arbitrarily pick $f(x)+I in Bbb Z_5[x]/I$. Then $$f(x)+I=a_1v_1+a_2v_2+a_3v_3;;;a_i in Bbb Z_5$$



                                  There are $5 times 5 times 5$ choices to choose the coefficients, so $$text{number of such $f(x)+I$ }=5^3=|Bbb Z_5[x]/I|$$






                                  share|cite|improve this answer









                                  $endgroup$


















                                    0












                                    $begingroup$

                                    Outline:



                                    You know $Bbb Z_5[x]/I$ where $I=langle f(x) rangle $ is a field using the mentioned result. Now, the task is to find $|Bbb Z_5[x]/I |$. Here $Bbb Z_5[x]/I$ can be considered as an entension of $Bbb Z_5$. Also $$dim_Bbb {Z_5} (Bbb Z_5[x]/I)=3=deg f$$



                                    Call ${v_1,v_2,v_3}$ the basis of $Bbb Z_5[x]/I$ over $Bbb Z_5$



                                    Now arbitrarily pick $f(x)+I in Bbb Z_5[x]/I$. Then $$f(x)+I=a_1v_1+a_2v_2+a_3v_3;;;a_i in Bbb Z_5$$



                                    There are $5 times 5 times 5$ choices to choose the coefficients, so $$text{number of such $f(x)+I$ }=5^3=|Bbb Z_5[x]/I|$$






                                    share|cite|improve this answer









                                    $endgroup$
















                                      0












                                      0








                                      0





                                      $begingroup$

                                      Outline:



                                      You know $Bbb Z_5[x]/I$ where $I=langle f(x) rangle $ is a field using the mentioned result. Now, the task is to find $|Bbb Z_5[x]/I |$. Here $Bbb Z_5[x]/I$ can be considered as an entension of $Bbb Z_5$. Also $$dim_Bbb {Z_5} (Bbb Z_5[x]/I)=3=deg f$$



                                      Call ${v_1,v_2,v_3}$ the basis of $Bbb Z_5[x]/I$ over $Bbb Z_5$



                                      Now arbitrarily pick $f(x)+I in Bbb Z_5[x]/I$. Then $$f(x)+I=a_1v_1+a_2v_2+a_3v_3;;;a_i in Bbb Z_5$$



                                      There are $5 times 5 times 5$ choices to choose the coefficients, so $$text{number of such $f(x)+I$ }=5^3=|Bbb Z_5[x]/I|$$






                                      share|cite|improve this answer









                                      $endgroup$



                                      Outline:



                                      You know $Bbb Z_5[x]/I$ where $I=langle f(x) rangle $ is a field using the mentioned result. Now, the task is to find $|Bbb Z_5[x]/I |$. Here $Bbb Z_5[x]/I$ can be considered as an entension of $Bbb Z_5$. Also $$dim_Bbb {Z_5} (Bbb Z_5[x]/I)=3=deg f$$



                                      Call ${v_1,v_2,v_3}$ the basis of $Bbb Z_5[x]/I$ over $Bbb Z_5$



                                      Now arbitrarily pick $f(x)+I in Bbb Z_5[x]/I$. Then $$f(x)+I=a_1v_1+a_2v_2+a_3v_3;;;a_i in Bbb Z_5$$



                                      There are $5 times 5 times 5$ choices to choose the coefficients, so $$text{number of such $f(x)+I$ }=5^3=|Bbb Z_5[x]/I|$$







                                      share|cite|improve this answer












                                      share|cite|improve this answer



                                      share|cite|improve this answer










                                      answered yesterday









                                      Chinnapparaj RChinnapparaj R

                                      6,1612929




                                      6,1612929























                                          0












                                          $begingroup$

                                          Note that two polynomials $g(x)$ and $h(x)$, both of degree 2 or less, will represent different elements in $F$. This is due to the fact that their difference
                                          $g(x)-h(x)$ being of degree less than 3, cannot be a multiple of the cubic polynomials $f(x)=2x^3+3x^2+1$, and so belong to different cosets.



                                          Now a polynomial $h(x)$ of degree 3 or more can be divided by $f(x)$ to get quotient $q(x)$ and remainder $r(x)$
                                          such that $h(x)=q(x)f(x) + r(x)$



                                          Clearly $r(x)$ and $h(x)$ will represent the same coset. This shows that the field $F$ in your question simply consists of polynomials of degree less than $3$. This is easy to count as each coefficient has only a finite number of choices.






                                          share|cite|improve this answer









                                          $endgroup$


















                                            0












                                            $begingroup$

                                            Note that two polynomials $g(x)$ and $h(x)$, both of degree 2 or less, will represent different elements in $F$. This is due to the fact that their difference
                                            $g(x)-h(x)$ being of degree less than 3, cannot be a multiple of the cubic polynomials $f(x)=2x^3+3x^2+1$, and so belong to different cosets.



                                            Now a polynomial $h(x)$ of degree 3 or more can be divided by $f(x)$ to get quotient $q(x)$ and remainder $r(x)$
                                            such that $h(x)=q(x)f(x) + r(x)$



                                            Clearly $r(x)$ and $h(x)$ will represent the same coset. This shows that the field $F$ in your question simply consists of polynomials of degree less than $3$. This is easy to count as each coefficient has only a finite number of choices.






                                            share|cite|improve this answer









                                            $endgroup$
















                                              0












                                              0








                                              0





                                              $begingroup$

                                              Note that two polynomials $g(x)$ and $h(x)$, both of degree 2 or less, will represent different elements in $F$. This is due to the fact that their difference
                                              $g(x)-h(x)$ being of degree less than 3, cannot be a multiple of the cubic polynomials $f(x)=2x^3+3x^2+1$, and so belong to different cosets.



                                              Now a polynomial $h(x)$ of degree 3 or more can be divided by $f(x)$ to get quotient $q(x)$ and remainder $r(x)$
                                              such that $h(x)=q(x)f(x) + r(x)$



                                              Clearly $r(x)$ and $h(x)$ will represent the same coset. This shows that the field $F$ in your question simply consists of polynomials of degree less than $3$. This is easy to count as each coefficient has only a finite number of choices.






                                              share|cite|improve this answer









                                              $endgroup$



                                              Note that two polynomials $g(x)$ and $h(x)$, both of degree 2 or less, will represent different elements in $F$. This is due to the fact that their difference
                                              $g(x)-h(x)$ being of degree less than 3, cannot be a multiple of the cubic polynomials $f(x)=2x^3+3x^2+1$, and so belong to different cosets.



                                              Now a polynomial $h(x)$ of degree 3 or more can be divided by $f(x)$ to get quotient $q(x)$ and remainder $r(x)$
                                              such that $h(x)=q(x)f(x) + r(x)$



                                              Clearly $r(x)$ and $h(x)$ will represent the same coset. This shows that the field $F$ in your question simply consists of polynomials of degree less than $3$. This is easy to count as each coefficient has only a finite number of choices.







                                              share|cite|improve this answer












                                              share|cite|improve this answer



                                              share|cite|improve this answer










                                              answered yesterday









                                              P VanchinathanP Vanchinathan

                                              15.5k12136




                                              15.5k12136






























                                                  draft saved

                                                  draft discarded




















































                                                  Thanks for contributing an answer to Mathematics Stack Exchange!


                                                  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

                                                  But avoid …



                                                  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

                                                  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.


                                                  Use MathJax to format equations. MathJax reference.


                                                  To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




                                                  draft saved


                                                  draft discarded














                                                  StackExchange.ready(
                                                  function () {
                                                  StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fmath.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f3179438%2fnumber-of-elements-in-a-factor-ring%23new-answer', 'question_page');
                                                  }
                                                  );

                                                  Post as a guest















                                                  Required, but never shown





















































                                                  Required, but never shown














                                                  Required, but never shown












                                                  Required, but never shown







                                                  Required, but never shown

































                                                  Required, but never shown














                                                  Required, but never shown












                                                  Required, but never shown







                                                  Required, but never shown







                                                  Popular posts from this blog

                                                  Bruad Bilen | Luke uk diar | NawigatsjuunCommonskategorii: BruadCommonskategorii: RunstükenWikiquote: Bruad

                                                  Modern approach to radio buttons

                                                  A word for worn pool table felt