“New lease of life” vs “new lease on life”





.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty{ margin-bottom:0;
}







9















I have encountered both forms of the idiom new lease of life and new lease on life. Is there an interesting story behind the difference?










share|improve this question




















  • 1





    Maybe it's just me, but I find this question very reminiscent of the ripe/rife with opportunities US/UK split on usage.

    – FumbleFingers
    Jan 24 '12 at 18:59


















9















I have encountered both forms of the idiom new lease of life and new lease on life. Is there an interesting story behind the difference?










share|improve this question




















  • 1





    Maybe it's just me, but I find this question very reminiscent of the ripe/rife with opportunities US/UK split on usage.

    – FumbleFingers
    Jan 24 '12 at 18:59














9












9








9








I have encountered both forms of the idiom new lease of life and new lease on life. Is there an interesting story behind the difference?










share|improve this question
















I have encountered both forms of the idiom new lease of life and new lease on life. Is there an interesting story behind the difference?







idioms






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited Jan 24 '12 at 20:29







user2683

















asked Jan 22 '12 at 23:29









Drew NoakesDrew Noakes

3194617




3194617








  • 1





    Maybe it's just me, but I find this question very reminiscent of the ripe/rife with opportunities US/UK split on usage.

    – FumbleFingers
    Jan 24 '12 at 18:59














  • 1





    Maybe it's just me, but I find this question very reminiscent of the ripe/rife with opportunities US/UK split on usage.

    – FumbleFingers
    Jan 24 '12 at 18:59








1




1





Maybe it's just me, but I find this question very reminiscent of the ripe/rife with opportunities US/UK split on usage.

– FumbleFingers
Jan 24 '12 at 18:59





Maybe it's just me, but I find this question very reminiscent of the ripe/rife with opportunities US/UK split on usage.

– FumbleFingers
Jan 24 '12 at 18:59










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes


















9














Just to set out the usage history - new lease of life was around first, and is still more common...



enter image description here



...but since it's common these days to speak of taking [out] a lease on [something], it's easy to see why increasing numbers of people mishear or misremember the "original", or have only ever heard the revised form anyway.



EDIT: I won't clutter up this answer with two more charts, but if you click on the link above, and toggle the corpus between American and British, you'll see that almost all "new lease on life" usages are American. I have no authoritative source to back me up here, but I believe this kind of minor adjustment to phrasing happens more often in US than UK usage. Probably for several reasons, but in particular I would single out the (to me, still astonishing) fact that for one in five Americans, English is not exactly the "Mother Tongue". Even though I imagine most of those 47M people would say they do in fact speak perfectly good English, it seems to me if you don't grow up in an English-speaking home (or, setting the bar higher, where everyone only speaks English, as did their parents), there's a far greater chance that non-standard usages will catch on if they seem more logical and thus easier to "learn").






share|improve this answer





















  • 1





    +1 with "authoritative source" to back you up.

    – Irene
    Jan 23 '12 at 7:13






  • 1





    "on life" is definitely the more common of the two in the U.S.

    – Kevin
    Jan 23 '12 at 14:59











  • @Kevin: Yes, I more or less said that. Here's the evidence from Google Books (in my first link), which clearly shows that on became dominant in US written usage around 1940.

    – FumbleFingers
    Jan 23 '12 at 16:58






  • 1





    @FumbleFingers, I was agreeing with you.

    – Kevin
    Jan 23 '12 at 20:34











  • Wow, didn't even know the "on life" variant was a thing until I saw what I thought was a typo in a TV series review and came here to find out the truth ^_^

    – Lightness Races in Orbit
    Dec 2 '17 at 18:32












Your Answer








StackExchange.ready(function() {
var channelOptions = {
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "97"
};
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function() {
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled) {
StackExchange.using("snippets", function() {
createEditor();
});
}
else {
createEditor();
}
});

function createEditor() {
StackExchange.prepareEditor({
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: false,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: null,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader: {
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
},
noCode: true, onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
});


}
});














draft saved

draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function () {
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fenglish.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f55632%2fnew-lease-of-life-vs-new-lease-on-life%23new-answer', 'question_page');
}
);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown

























1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes








1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes









9














Just to set out the usage history - new lease of life was around first, and is still more common...



enter image description here



...but since it's common these days to speak of taking [out] a lease on [something], it's easy to see why increasing numbers of people mishear or misremember the "original", or have only ever heard the revised form anyway.



EDIT: I won't clutter up this answer with two more charts, but if you click on the link above, and toggle the corpus between American and British, you'll see that almost all "new lease on life" usages are American. I have no authoritative source to back me up here, but I believe this kind of minor adjustment to phrasing happens more often in US than UK usage. Probably for several reasons, but in particular I would single out the (to me, still astonishing) fact that for one in five Americans, English is not exactly the "Mother Tongue". Even though I imagine most of those 47M people would say they do in fact speak perfectly good English, it seems to me if you don't grow up in an English-speaking home (or, setting the bar higher, where everyone only speaks English, as did their parents), there's a far greater chance that non-standard usages will catch on if they seem more logical and thus easier to "learn").






share|improve this answer





















  • 1





    +1 with "authoritative source" to back you up.

    – Irene
    Jan 23 '12 at 7:13






  • 1





    "on life" is definitely the more common of the two in the U.S.

    – Kevin
    Jan 23 '12 at 14:59











  • @Kevin: Yes, I more or less said that. Here's the evidence from Google Books (in my first link), which clearly shows that on became dominant in US written usage around 1940.

    – FumbleFingers
    Jan 23 '12 at 16:58






  • 1





    @FumbleFingers, I was agreeing with you.

    – Kevin
    Jan 23 '12 at 20:34











  • Wow, didn't even know the "on life" variant was a thing until I saw what I thought was a typo in a TV series review and came here to find out the truth ^_^

    – Lightness Races in Orbit
    Dec 2 '17 at 18:32
















9














Just to set out the usage history - new lease of life was around first, and is still more common...



enter image description here



...but since it's common these days to speak of taking [out] a lease on [something], it's easy to see why increasing numbers of people mishear or misremember the "original", or have only ever heard the revised form anyway.



EDIT: I won't clutter up this answer with two more charts, but if you click on the link above, and toggle the corpus between American and British, you'll see that almost all "new lease on life" usages are American. I have no authoritative source to back me up here, but I believe this kind of minor adjustment to phrasing happens more often in US than UK usage. Probably for several reasons, but in particular I would single out the (to me, still astonishing) fact that for one in five Americans, English is not exactly the "Mother Tongue". Even though I imagine most of those 47M people would say they do in fact speak perfectly good English, it seems to me if you don't grow up in an English-speaking home (or, setting the bar higher, where everyone only speaks English, as did their parents), there's a far greater chance that non-standard usages will catch on if they seem more logical and thus easier to "learn").






share|improve this answer





















  • 1





    +1 with "authoritative source" to back you up.

    – Irene
    Jan 23 '12 at 7:13






  • 1





    "on life" is definitely the more common of the two in the U.S.

    – Kevin
    Jan 23 '12 at 14:59











  • @Kevin: Yes, I more or less said that. Here's the evidence from Google Books (in my first link), which clearly shows that on became dominant in US written usage around 1940.

    – FumbleFingers
    Jan 23 '12 at 16:58






  • 1





    @FumbleFingers, I was agreeing with you.

    – Kevin
    Jan 23 '12 at 20:34











  • Wow, didn't even know the "on life" variant was a thing until I saw what I thought was a typo in a TV series review and came here to find out the truth ^_^

    – Lightness Races in Orbit
    Dec 2 '17 at 18:32














9












9








9







Just to set out the usage history - new lease of life was around first, and is still more common...



enter image description here



...but since it's common these days to speak of taking [out] a lease on [something], it's easy to see why increasing numbers of people mishear or misremember the "original", or have only ever heard the revised form anyway.



EDIT: I won't clutter up this answer with two more charts, but if you click on the link above, and toggle the corpus between American and British, you'll see that almost all "new lease on life" usages are American. I have no authoritative source to back me up here, but I believe this kind of minor adjustment to phrasing happens more often in US than UK usage. Probably for several reasons, but in particular I would single out the (to me, still astonishing) fact that for one in five Americans, English is not exactly the "Mother Tongue". Even though I imagine most of those 47M people would say they do in fact speak perfectly good English, it seems to me if you don't grow up in an English-speaking home (or, setting the bar higher, where everyone only speaks English, as did their parents), there's a far greater chance that non-standard usages will catch on if they seem more logical and thus easier to "learn").






share|improve this answer















Just to set out the usage history - new lease of life was around first, and is still more common...



enter image description here



...but since it's common these days to speak of taking [out] a lease on [something], it's easy to see why increasing numbers of people mishear or misremember the "original", or have only ever heard the revised form anyway.



EDIT: I won't clutter up this answer with two more charts, but if you click on the link above, and toggle the corpus between American and British, you'll see that almost all "new lease on life" usages are American. I have no authoritative source to back me up here, but I believe this kind of minor adjustment to phrasing happens more often in US than UK usage. Probably for several reasons, but in particular I would single out the (to me, still astonishing) fact that for one in five Americans, English is not exactly the "Mother Tongue". Even though I imagine most of those 47M people would say they do in fact speak perfectly good English, it seems to me if you don't grow up in an English-speaking home (or, setting the bar higher, where everyone only speaks English, as did their parents), there's a far greater chance that non-standard usages will catch on if they seem more logical and thus easier to "learn").







share|improve this answer














share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer








edited yesterday

























answered Jan 23 '12 at 0:01









FumbleFingersFumbleFingers

120k33245430




120k33245430








  • 1





    +1 with "authoritative source" to back you up.

    – Irene
    Jan 23 '12 at 7:13






  • 1





    "on life" is definitely the more common of the two in the U.S.

    – Kevin
    Jan 23 '12 at 14:59











  • @Kevin: Yes, I more or less said that. Here's the evidence from Google Books (in my first link), which clearly shows that on became dominant in US written usage around 1940.

    – FumbleFingers
    Jan 23 '12 at 16:58






  • 1





    @FumbleFingers, I was agreeing with you.

    – Kevin
    Jan 23 '12 at 20:34











  • Wow, didn't even know the "on life" variant was a thing until I saw what I thought was a typo in a TV series review and came here to find out the truth ^_^

    – Lightness Races in Orbit
    Dec 2 '17 at 18:32














  • 1





    +1 with "authoritative source" to back you up.

    – Irene
    Jan 23 '12 at 7:13






  • 1





    "on life" is definitely the more common of the two in the U.S.

    – Kevin
    Jan 23 '12 at 14:59











  • @Kevin: Yes, I more or less said that. Here's the evidence from Google Books (in my first link), which clearly shows that on became dominant in US written usage around 1940.

    – FumbleFingers
    Jan 23 '12 at 16:58






  • 1





    @FumbleFingers, I was agreeing with you.

    – Kevin
    Jan 23 '12 at 20:34











  • Wow, didn't even know the "on life" variant was a thing until I saw what I thought was a typo in a TV series review and came here to find out the truth ^_^

    – Lightness Races in Orbit
    Dec 2 '17 at 18:32








1




1





+1 with "authoritative source" to back you up.

– Irene
Jan 23 '12 at 7:13





+1 with "authoritative source" to back you up.

– Irene
Jan 23 '12 at 7:13




1




1





"on life" is definitely the more common of the two in the U.S.

– Kevin
Jan 23 '12 at 14:59





"on life" is definitely the more common of the two in the U.S.

– Kevin
Jan 23 '12 at 14:59













@Kevin: Yes, I more or less said that. Here's the evidence from Google Books (in my first link), which clearly shows that on became dominant in US written usage around 1940.

– FumbleFingers
Jan 23 '12 at 16:58





@Kevin: Yes, I more or less said that. Here's the evidence from Google Books (in my first link), which clearly shows that on became dominant in US written usage around 1940.

– FumbleFingers
Jan 23 '12 at 16:58




1




1





@FumbleFingers, I was agreeing with you.

– Kevin
Jan 23 '12 at 20:34





@FumbleFingers, I was agreeing with you.

– Kevin
Jan 23 '12 at 20:34













Wow, didn't even know the "on life" variant was a thing until I saw what I thought was a typo in a TV series review and came here to find out the truth ^_^

– Lightness Races in Orbit
Dec 2 '17 at 18:32





Wow, didn't even know the "on life" variant was a thing until I saw what I thought was a typo in a TV series review and came here to find out the truth ^_^

– Lightness Races in Orbit
Dec 2 '17 at 18:32


















draft saved

draft discarded




















































Thanks for contributing an answer to English Language & Usage Stack Exchange!


  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid …



  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.


To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function () {
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fenglish.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f55632%2fnew-lease-of-life-vs-new-lease-on-life%23new-answer', 'question_page');
}
);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown





















































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown

































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown







Popular posts from this blog

Bruad Bilen | Luke uk diar | NawigatsjuunCommonskategorii: BruadCommonskategorii: RunstükenWikiquote: Bruad

Modern approach to radio buttons

A word for worn pool table felt