Can I pay my credit card?





.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty{ margin-bottom:0;
}







8















As far as I know, the direct object of pay (when meaning provide money for something) is who or what you want to pay.



However, I read the following sentence from a (supposedly) native speaker:




Can I pay my credit card?




From the context, it is clear that the writer did not want to pay for her/his credit bank, but with it.



Another example shows the use of transitive/intransitive forms with this verb.



I guess that using the transitive form in this context is acceptable.
Yet, does it sounds informal, or can it be used in every situation?





EDIT: The sentence has been (possibly hastily) written in an email.










share|improve this question

























  • Nit: That's not the "previous" sentence, but the "following" sentence, since it comes after and not immediately before the current sentence. (Unless you're referring to the title, which still seems weird, since "previous" feels more immediate than that).

    – muru
    May 17 at 7:50











  • @muru Oops. It corrected it. Thanks!

    – unamourdeswann
    May 18 at 12:53




















8















As far as I know, the direct object of pay (when meaning provide money for something) is who or what you want to pay.



However, I read the following sentence from a (supposedly) native speaker:




Can I pay my credit card?




From the context, it is clear that the writer did not want to pay for her/his credit bank, but with it.



Another example shows the use of transitive/intransitive forms with this verb.



I guess that using the transitive form in this context is acceptable.
Yet, does it sounds informal, or can it be used in every situation?





EDIT: The sentence has been (possibly hastily) written in an email.










share|improve this question

























  • Nit: That's not the "previous" sentence, but the "following" sentence, since it comes after and not immediately before the current sentence. (Unless you're referring to the title, which still seems weird, since "previous" feels more immediate than that).

    – muru
    May 17 at 7:50











  • @muru Oops. It corrected it. Thanks!

    – unamourdeswann
    May 18 at 12:53
















8












8








8


2






As far as I know, the direct object of pay (when meaning provide money for something) is who or what you want to pay.



However, I read the following sentence from a (supposedly) native speaker:




Can I pay my credit card?




From the context, it is clear that the writer did not want to pay for her/his credit bank, but with it.



Another example shows the use of transitive/intransitive forms with this verb.



I guess that using the transitive form in this context is acceptable.
Yet, does it sounds informal, or can it be used in every situation?





EDIT: The sentence has been (possibly hastily) written in an email.










share|improve this question
















As far as I know, the direct object of pay (when meaning provide money for something) is who or what you want to pay.



However, I read the following sentence from a (supposedly) native speaker:




Can I pay my credit card?




From the context, it is clear that the writer did not want to pay for her/his credit bank, but with it.



Another example shows the use of transitive/intransitive forms with this verb.



I guess that using the transitive form in this context is acceptable.
Yet, does it sounds informal, or can it be used in every situation?





EDIT: The sentence has been (possibly hastily) written in an email.







grammar formality






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited May 18 at 12:53







unamourdeswann

















asked May 15 at 13:46









unamourdeswannunamourdeswann

4615




4615













  • Nit: That's not the "previous" sentence, but the "following" sentence, since it comes after and not immediately before the current sentence. (Unless you're referring to the title, which still seems weird, since "previous" feels more immediate than that).

    – muru
    May 17 at 7:50











  • @muru Oops. It corrected it. Thanks!

    – unamourdeswann
    May 18 at 12:53





















  • Nit: That's not the "previous" sentence, but the "following" sentence, since it comes after and not immediately before the current sentence. (Unless you're referring to the title, which still seems weird, since "previous" feels more immediate than that).

    – muru
    May 17 at 7:50











  • @muru Oops. It corrected it. Thanks!

    – unamourdeswann
    May 18 at 12:53



















Nit: That's not the "previous" sentence, but the "following" sentence, since it comes after and not immediately before the current sentence. (Unless you're referring to the title, which still seems weird, since "previous" feels more immediate than that).

– muru
May 17 at 7:50





Nit: That's not the "previous" sentence, but the "following" sentence, since it comes after and not immediately before the current sentence. (Unless you're referring to the title, which still seems weird, since "previous" feels more immediate than that).

– muru
May 17 at 7:50













@muru Oops. It corrected it. Thanks!

– unamourdeswann
May 18 at 12:53







@muru Oops. It corrected it. Thanks!

– unamourdeswann
May 18 at 12:53












4 Answers
4






active

oldest

votes


















35














Weird. I would think they meant credit card bill but you say that’s not what they meant. Maybe my was a typo of by - “Can I pay by credit card?” This is the only way I could see them meaning they wanted to use their credit card to pay for something.






share|improve this answer



















  • 11





    Or they accidentally the word "with" before "my".

    – Acccumulation
    May 15 at 19:44






  • 2





    @Accumulation I think you omitted the word omitted. I agree, Can I pay with my credit card? could have been the intended question too.

    – Mixolydian
    May 16 at 11:39








  • 6





    Yes, I was being meta.

    – Acccumulation
    May 16 at 14:35



















21














It doesn't sound correct.





  • Pay by credit card means pay the shop


  • Pay with my credit card means pay the shop


  • Pay my credit card bill means pay the bank


  • Pay my credit card might be understood as paying the bank, but is informal and not a standard usage


My guess is it was possibly misheard or a mistake on the part of the speaker/writer.






share|improve this answer





















  • 7





    It is always the same problem with being a non-native speaker. You always assume that the (native) writer never make mistakes.

    – unamourdeswann
    May 15 at 13:59






  • 1





    @unamourdeswann - Now you know better. :-)

    – J.R.♦
    May 15 at 14:06











  • "Pay my credit card would be understood" Honestly, I disagree. As a native speaker, if somebody asked me "Can I pay my credit card?" I wouldn't understand and would ask them to clarify.

    – David Richerby
    May 16 at 16:52






  • 3





    @DavidRicherby It's certainly non-standard. I was thinking of a sentence "I have no money: I can't pay the rent, I can't pay the electricity, I can't pay my credit card." -- which I think would be understood as pay the credit card bill. In a shop, I'd ask for clarification too. In many UK shops you can pay your credit card bill at the cash register, or pay for goods with one. I'll update to mark it as not clear.

    – jonathanjo
    May 16 at 17:01











  • @jonathanjo I agree that your "I can't pay..." example clearly means pay the bill. Interesting example.

    – David Richerby
    May 16 at 17:06



















5














To add to Mixolydian's answer, they are probably using a swipe-style phone keyboard (you just run your fingers over the letters rather than typing each letter) and if so it would be very easy to get my instead of by.






share|improve this answer































    2














    "Can I pay credit card?" meaning "Can I pay with my credit card?" does sound incorrect to my (native English speaker) ear, but it's exactly the same construction as "Can I pay cash?"



    I know I've heard the cash phrase for years, and probably used it a few times myself.



    I can't say why cash sounds correct and credit card doesn't, but it may just come down to familiarity with a colloquialism, and the difference in words throwing off the familiarity. I'm stretching to come up with an example, but if a friend and I were at a bar and the friend appeared to be "unwell," if they said "Home" I would probably interpret it to be a request to take them home. If they said "Work" I'd probably ask "What about work?"






    share|improve this answer
























    • "Cash" is an abstract concept. "Credit card" is a physical object. "Can I pay coins" or "Can I pay notes" are the "exact" opposite of "Can I pay credit card," and those two sentences are not idiomatic English either.

      – alephzero
      May 15 at 17:19






    • 1





      I might say "Can I pay credit?" but I wouldn't say "Can I pay credit card?"

      – barbecue
      May 15 at 19:27











    • Cash is the thing you're giving in exchange for the thing being bought, so you are paying cash.Unless you're letting the other person have permanent possession of your credit card, you're not paying credit card.

      – Acccumulation
      May 15 at 19:48











    • @Acccumulation And then it would, IMO, be either "pay a credit card" or "pay credit cards".

      – Solomon Ucko
      May 16 at 0:46






    • 1





      @SolomonUcko Yes, "credit card" is a count noun, so the singular requires a determiner. In the original context, there's "my", which is a determiner.

      – Acccumulation
      May 16 at 14:36












    Your Answer








    StackExchange.ready(function() {
    var channelOptions = {
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "481"
    };
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function() {
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled) {
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function() {
    createEditor();
    });
    }
    else {
    createEditor();
    }
    });

    function createEditor() {
    StackExchange.prepareEditor({
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
    convertImagesToLinks: false,
    noModals: true,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: null,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    imageUploader: {
    brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
    contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
    allowUrls: true
    },
    noCode: true, onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    });


    }
    });














    draft saved

    draft discarded


















    StackExchange.ready(
    function () {
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fell.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f210841%2fcan-i-pay-my-credit-card%23new-answer', 'question_page');
    }
    );

    Post as a guest















    Required, but never shown

























    4 Answers
    4






    active

    oldest

    votes








    4 Answers
    4






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes









    35














    Weird. I would think they meant credit card bill but you say that’s not what they meant. Maybe my was a typo of by - “Can I pay by credit card?” This is the only way I could see them meaning they wanted to use their credit card to pay for something.






    share|improve this answer



















    • 11





      Or they accidentally the word "with" before "my".

      – Acccumulation
      May 15 at 19:44






    • 2





      @Accumulation I think you omitted the word omitted. I agree, Can I pay with my credit card? could have been the intended question too.

      – Mixolydian
      May 16 at 11:39








    • 6





      Yes, I was being meta.

      – Acccumulation
      May 16 at 14:35
















    35














    Weird. I would think they meant credit card bill but you say that’s not what they meant. Maybe my was a typo of by - “Can I pay by credit card?” This is the only way I could see them meaning they wanted to use their credit card to pay for something.






    share|improve this answer



















    • 11





      Or they accidentally the word "with" before "my".

      – Acccumulation
      May 15 at 19:44






    • 2





      @Accumulation I think you omitted the word omitted. I agree, Can I pay with my credit card? could have been the intended question too.

      – Mixolydian
      May 16 at 11:39








    • 6





      Yes, I was being meta.

      – Acccumulation
      May 16 at 14:35














    35












    35








    35







    Weird. I would think they meant credit card bill but you say that’s not what they meant. Maybe my was a typo of by - “Can I pay by credit card?” This is the only way I could see them meaning they wanted to use their credit card to pay for something.






    share|improve this answer













    Weird. I would think they meant credit card bill but you say that’s not what they meant. Maybe my was a typo of by - “Can I pay by credit card?” This is the only way I could see them meaning they wanted to use their credit card to pay for something.







    share|improve this answer












    share|improve this answer



    share|improve this answer










    answered May 15 at 13:53









    MixolydianMixolydian

    8,2561220




    8,2561220








    • 11





      Or they accidentally the word "with" before "my".

      – Acccumulation
      May 15 at 19:44






    • 2





      @Accumulation I think you omitted the word omitted. I agree, Can I pay with my credit card? could have been the intended question too.

      – Mixolydian
      May 16 at 11:39








    • 6





      Yes, I was being meta.

      – Acccumulation
      May 16 at 14:35














    • 11





      Or they accidentally the word "with" before "my".

      – Acccumulation
      May 15 at 19:44






    • 2





      @Accumulation I think you omitted the word omitted. I agree, Can I pay with my credit card? could have been the intended question too.

      – Mixolydian
      May 16 at 11:39








    • 6





      Yes, I was being meta.

      – Acccumulation
      May 16 at 14:35








    11




    11





    Or they accidentally the word "with" before "my".

    – Acccumulation
    May 15 at 19:44





    Or they accidentally the word "with" before "my".

    – Acccumulation
    May 15 at 19:44




    2




    2





    @Accumulation I think you omitted the word omitted. I agree, Can I pay with my credit card? could have been the intended question too.

    – Mixolydian
    May 16 at 11:39







    @Accumulation I think you omitted the word omitted. I agree, Can I pay with my credit card? could have been the intended question too.

    – Mixolydian
    May 16 at 11:39






    6




    6





    Yes, I was being meta.

    – Acccumulation
    May 16 at 14:35





    Yes, I was being meta.

    – Acccumulation
    May 16 at 14:35













    21














    It doesn't sound correct.





    • Pay by credit card means pay the shop


    • Pay with my credit card means pay the shop


    • Pay my credit card bill means pay the bank


    • Pay my credit card might be understood as paying the bank, but is informal and not a standard usage


    My guess is it was possibly misheard or a mistake on the part of the speaker/writer.






    share|improve this answer





















    • 7





      It is always the same problem with being a non-native speaker. You always assume that the (native) writer never make mistakes.

      – unamourdeswann
      May 15 at 13:59






    • 1





      @unamourdeswann - Now you know better. :-)

      – J.R.♦
      May 15 at 14:06











    • "Pay my credit card would be understood" Honestly, I disagree. As a native speaker, if somebody asked me "Can I pay my credit card?" I wouldn't understand and would ask them to clarify.

      – David Richerby
      May 16 at 16:52






    • 3





      @DavidRicherby It's certainly non-standard. I was thinking of a sentence "I have no money: I can't pay the rent, I can't pay the electricity, I can't pay my credit card." -- which I think would be understood as pay the credit card bill. In a shop, I'd ask for clarification too. In many UK shops you can pay your credit card bill at the cash register, or pay for goods with one. I'll update to mark it as not clear.

      – jonathanjo
      May 16 at 17:01











    • @jonathanjo I agree that your "I can't pay..." example clearly means pay the bill. Interesting example.

      – David Richerby
      May 16 at 17:06
















    21














    It doesn't sound correct.





    • Pay by credit card means pay the shop


    • Pay with my credit card means pay the shop


    • Pay my credit card bill means pay the bank


    • Pay my credit card might be understood as paying the bank, but is informal and not a standard usage


    My guess is it was possibly misheard or a mistake on the part of the speaker/writer.






    share|improve this answer





















    • 7





      It is always the same problem with being a non-native speaker. You always assume that the (native) writer never make mistakes.

      – unamourdeswann
      May 15 at 13:59






    • 1





      @unamourdeswann - Now you know better. :-)

      – J.R.♦
      May 15 at 14:06











    • "Pay my credit card would be understood" Honestly, I disagree. As a native speaker, if somebody asked me "Can I pay my credit card?" I wouldn't understand and would ask them to clarify.

      – David Richerby
      May 16 at 16:52






    • 3





      @DavidRicherby It's certainly non-standard. I was thinking of a sentence "I have no money: I can't pay the rent, I can't pay the electricity, I can't pay my credit card." -- which I think would be understood as pay the credit card bill. In a shop, I'd ask for clarification too. In many UK shops you can pay your credit card bill at the cash register, or pay for goods with one. I'll update to mark it as not clear.

      – jonathanjo
      May 16 at 17:01











    • @jonathanjo I agree that your "I can't pay..." example clearly means pay the bill. Interesting example.

      – David Richerby
      May 16 at 17:06














    21












    21








    21







    It doesn't sound correct.





    • Pay by credit card means pay the shop


    • Pay with my credit card means pay the shop


    • Pay my credit card bill means pay the bank


    • Pay my credit card might be understood as paying the bank, but is informal and not a standard usage


    My guess is it was possibly misheard or a mistake on the part of the speaker/writer.






    share|improve this answer















    It doesn't sound correct.





    • Pay by credit card means pay the shop


    • Pay with my credit card means pay the shop


    • Pay my credit card bill means pay the bank


    • Pay my credit card might be understood as paying the bank, but is informal and not a standard usage


    My guess is it was possibly misheard or a mistake on the part of the speaker/writer.







    share|improve this answer














    share|improve this answer



    share|improve this answer








    edited May 16 at 17:02

























    answered May 15 at 13:50









    jonathanjojonathanjo

    4,116419




    4,116419








    • 7





      It is always the same problem with being a non-native speaker. You always assume that the (native) writer never make mistakes.

      – unamourdeswann
      May 15 at 13:59






    • 1





      @unamourdeswann - Now you know better. :-)

      – J.R.♦
      May 15 at 14:06











    • "Pay my credit card would be understood" Honestly, I disagree. As a native speaker, if somebody asked me "Can I pay my credit card?" I wouldn't understand and would ask them to clarify.

      – David Richerby
      May 16 at 16:52






    • 3





      @DavidRicherby It's certainly non-standard. I was thinking of a sentence "I have no money: I can't pay the rent, I can't pay the electricity, I can't pay my credit card." -- which I think would be understood as pay the credit card bill. In a shop, I'd ask for clarification too. In many UK shops you can pay your credit card bill at the cash register, or pay for goods with one. I'll update to mark it as not clear.

      – jonathanjo
      May 16 at 17:01











    • @jonathanjo I agree that your "I can't pay..." example clearly means pay the bill. Interesting example.

      – David Richerby
      May 16 at 17:06














    • 7





      It is always the same problem with being a non-native speaker. You always assume that the (native) writer never make mistakes.

      – unamourdeswann
      May 15 at 13:59






    • 1





      @unamourdeswann - Now you know better. :-)

      – J.R.♦
      May 15 at 14:06











    • "Pay my credit card would be understood" Honestly, I disagree. As a native speaker, if somebody asked me "Can I pay my credit card?" I wouldn't understand and would ask them to clarify.

      – David Richerby
      May 16 at 16:52






    • 3





      @DavidRicherby It's certainly non-standard. I was thinking of a sentence "I have no money: I can't pay the rent, I can't pay the electricity, I can't pay my credit card." -- which I think would be understood as pay the credit card bill. In a shop, I'd ask for clarification too. In many UK shops you can pay your credit card bill at the cash register, or pay for goods with one. I'll update to mark it as not clear.

      – jonathanjo
      May 16 at 17:01











    • @jonathanjo I agree that your "I can't pay..." example clearly means pay the bill. Interesting example.

      – David Richerby
      May 16 at 17:06








    7




    7





    It is always the same problem with being a non-native speaker. You always assume that the (native) writer never make mistakes.

    – unamourdeswann
    May 15 at 13:59





    It is always the same problem with being a non-native speaker. You always assume that the (native) writer never make mistakes.

    – unamourdeswann
    May 15 at 13:59




    1




    1





    @unamourdeswann - Now you know better. :-)

    – J.R.♦
    May 15 at 14:06





    @unamourdeswann - Now you know better. :-)

    – J.R.♦
    May 15 at 14:06













    "Pay my credit card would be understood" Honestly, I disagree. As a native speaker, if somebody asked me "Can I pay my credit card?" I wouldn't understand and would ask them to clarify.

    – David Richerby
    May 16 at 16:52





    "Pay my credit card would be understood" Honestly, I disagree. As a native speaker, if somebody asked me "Can I pay my credit card?" I wouldn't understand and would ask them to clarify.

    – David Richerby
    May 16 at 16:52




    3




    3





    @DavidRicherby It's certainly non-standard. I was thinking of a sentence "I have no money: I can't pay the rent, I can't pay the electricity, I can't pay my credit card." -- which I think would be understood as pay the credit card bill. In a shop, I'd ask for clarification too. In many UK shops you can pay your credit card bill at the cash register, or pay for goods with one. I'll update to mark it as not clear.

    – jonathanjo
    May 16 at 17:01





    @DavidRicherby It's certainly non-standard. I was thinking of a sentence "I have no money: I can't pay the rent, I can't pay the electricity, I can't pay my credit card." -- which I think would be understood as pay the credit card bill. In a shop, I'd ask for clarification too. In many UK shops you can pay your credit card bill at the cash register, or pay for goods with one. I'll update to mark it as not clear.

    – jonathanjo
    May 16 at 17:01













    @jonathanjo I agree that your "I can't pay..." example clearly means pay the bill. Interesting example.

    – David Richerby
    May 16 at 17:06





    @jonathanjo I agree that your "I can't pay..." example clearly means pay the bill. Interesting example.

    – David Richerby
    May 16 at 17:06











    5














    To add to Mixolydian's answer, they are probably using a swipe-style phone keyboard (you just run your fingers over the letters rather than typing each letter) and if so it would be very easy to get my instead of by.






    share|improve this answer




























      5














      To add to Mixolydian's answer, they are probably using a swipe-style phone keyboard (you just run your fingers over the letters rather than typing each letter) and if so it would be very easy to get my instead of by.






      share|improve this answer


























        5












        5








        5







        To add to Mixolydian's answer, they are probably using a swipe-style phone keyboard (you just run your fingers over the letters rather than typing each letter) and if so it would be very easy to get my instead of by.






        share|improve this answer













        To add to Mixolydian's answer, they are probably using a swipe-style phone keyboard (you just run your fingers over the letters rather than typing each letter) and if so it would be very easy to get my instead of by.







        share|improve this answer












        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer










        answered May 15 at 17:23









        epseps

        713




        713























            2














            "Can I pay credit card?" meaning "Can I pay with my credit card?" does sound incorrect to my (native English speaker) ear, but it's exactly the same construction as "Can I pay cash?"



            I know I've heard the cash phrase for years, and probably used it a few times myself.



            I can't say why cash sounds correct and credit card doesn't, but it may just come down to familiarity with a colloquialism, and the difference in words throwing off the familiarity. I'm stretching to come up with an example, but if a friend and I were at a bar and the friend appeared to be "unwell," if they said "Home" I would probably interpret it to be a request to take them home. If they said "Work" I'd probably ask "What about work?"






            share|improve this answer
























            • "Cash" is an abstract concept. "Credit card" is a physical object. "Can I pay coins" or "Can I pay notes" are the "exact" opposite of "Can I pay credit card," and those two sentences are not idiomatic English either.

              – alephzero
              May 15 at 17:19






            • 1





              I might say "Can I pay credit?" but I wouldn't say "Can I pay credit card?"

              – barbecue
              May 15 at 19:27











            • Cash is the thing you're giving in exchange for the thing being bought, so you are paying cash.Unless you're letting the other person have permanent possession of your credit card, you're not paying credit card.

              – Acccumulation
              May 15 at 19:48











            • @Acccumulation And then it would, IMO, be either "pay a credit card" or "pay credit cards".

              – Solomon Ucko
              May 16 at 0:46






            • 1





              @SolomonUcko Yes, "credit card" is a count noun, so the singular requires a determiner. In the original context, there's "my", which is a determiner.

              – Acccumulation
              May 16 at 14:36
















            2














            "Can I pay credit card?" meaning "Can I pay with my credit card?" does sound incorrect to my (native English speaker) ear, but it's exactly the same construction as "Can I pay cash?"



            I know I've heard the cash phrase for years, and probably used it a few times myself.



            I can't say why cash sounds correct and credit card doesn't, but it may just come down to familiarity with a colloquialism, and the difference in words throwing off the familiarity. I'm stretching to come up with an example, but if a friend and I were at a bar and the friend appeared to be "unwell," if they said "Home" I would probably interpret it to be a request to take them home. If they said "Work" I'd probably ask "What about work?"






            share|improve this answer
























            • "Cash" is an abstract concept. "Credit card" is a physical object. "Can I pay coins" or "Can I pay notes" are the "exact" opposite of "Can I pay credit card," and those two sentences are not idiomatic English either.

              – alephzero
              May 15 at 17:19






            • 1





              I might say "Can I pay credit?" but I wouldn't say "Can I pay credit card?"

              – barbecue
              May 15 at 19:27











            • Cash is the thing you're giving in exchange for the thing being bought, so you are paying cash.Unless you're letting the other person have permanent possession of your credit card, you're not paying credit card.

              – Acccumulation
              May 15 at 19:48











            • @Acccumulation And then it would, IMO, be either "pay a credit card" or "pay credit cards".

              – Solomon Ucko
              May 16 at 0:46






            • 1





              @SolomonUcko Yes, "credit card" is a count noun, so the singular requires a determiner. In the original context, there's "my", which is a determiner.

              – Acccumulation
              May 16 at 14:36














            2












            2








            2







            "Can I pay credit card?" meaning "Can I pay with my credit card?" does sound incorrect to my (native English speaker) ear, but it's exactly the same construction as "Can I pay cash?"



            I know I've heard the cash phrase for years, and probably used it a few times myself.



            I can't say why cash sounds correct and credit card doesn't, but it may just come down to familiarity with a colloquialism, and the difference in words throwing off the familiarity. I'm stretching to come up with an example, but if a friend and I were at a bar and the friend appeared to be "unwell," if they said "Home" I would probably interpret it to be a request to take them home. If they said "Work" I'd probably ask "What about work?"






            share|improve this answer













            "Can I pay credit card?" meaning "Can I pay with my credit card?" does sound incorrect to my (native English speaker) ear, but it's exactly the same construction as "Can I pay cash?"



            I know I've heard the cash phrase for years, and probably used it a few times myself.



            I can't say why cash sounds correct and credit card doesn't, but it may just come down to familiarity with a colloquialism, and the difference in words throwing off the familiarity. I'm stretching to come up with an example, but if a friend and I were at a bar and the friend appeared to be "unwell," if they said "Home" I would probably interpret it to be a request to take them home. If they said "Work" I'd probably ask "What about work?"







            share|improve this answer












            share|improve this answer



            share|improve this answer










            answered May 15 at 16:56









            gpavekgpavek

            692




            692













            • "Cash" is an abstract concept. "Credit card" is a physical object. "Can I pay coins" or "Can I pay notes" are the "exact" opposite of "Can I pay credit card," and those two sentences are not idiomatic English either.

              – alephzero
              May 15 at 17:19






            • 1





              I might say "Can I pay credit?" but I wouldn't say "Can I pay credit card?"

              – barbecue
              May 15 at 19:27











            • Cash is the thing you're giving in exchange for the thing being bought, so you are paying cash.Unless you're letting the other person have permanent possession of your credit card, you're not paying credit card.

              – Acccumulation
              May 15 at 19:48











            • @Acccumulation And then it would, IMO, be either "pay a credit card" or "pay credit cards".

              – Solomon Ucko
              May 16 at 0:46






            • 1





              @SolomonUcko Yes, "credit card" is a count noun, so the singular requires a determiner. In the original context, there's "my", which is a determiner.

              – Acccumulation
              May 16 at 14:36



















            • "Cash" is an abstract concept. "Credit card" is a physical object. "Can I pay coins" or "Can I pay notes" are the "exact" opposite of "Can I pay credit card," and those two sentences are not idiomatic English either.

              – alephzero
              May 15 at 17:19






            • 1





              I might say "Can I pay credit?" but I wouldn't say "Can I pay credit card?"

              – barbecue
              May 15 at 19:27











            • Cash is the thing you're giving in exchange for the thing being bought, so you are paying cash.Unless you're letting the other person have permanent possession of your credit card, you're not paying credit card.

              – Acccumulation
              May 15 at 19:48











            • @Acccumulation And then it would, IMO, be either "pay a credit card" or "pay credit cards".

              – Solomon Ucko
              May 16 at 0:46






            • 1





              @SolomonUcko Yes, "credit card" is a count noun, so the singular requires a determiner. In the original context, there's "my", which is a determiner.

              – Acccumulation
              May 16 at 14:36

















            "Cash" is an abstract concept. "Credit card" is a physical object. "Can I pay coins" or "Can I pay notes" are the "exact" opposite of "Can I pay credit card," and those two sentences are not idiomatic English either.

            – alephzero
            May 15 at 17:19





            "Cash" is an abstract concept. "Credit card" is a physical object. "Can I pay coins" or "Can I pay notes" are the "exact" opposite of "Can I pay credit card," and those two sentences are not idiomatic English either.

            – alephzero
            May 15 at 17:19




            1




            1





            I might say "Can I pay credit?" but I wouldn't say "Can I pay credit card?"

            – barbecue
            May 15 at 19:27





            I might say "Can I pay credit?" but I wouldn't say "Can I pay credit card?"

            – barbecue
            May 15 at 19:27













            Cash is the thing you're giving in exchange for the thing being bought, so you are paying cash.Unless you're letting the other person have permanent possession of your credit card, you're not paying credit card.

            – Acccumulation
            May 15 at 19:48





            Cash is the thing you're giving in exchange for the thing being bought, so you are paying cash.Unless you're letting the other person have permanent possession of your credit card, you're not paying credit card.

            – Acccumulation
            May 15 at 19:48













            @Acccumulation And then it would, IMO, be either "pay a credit card" or "pay credit cards".

            – Solomon Ucko
            May 16 at 0:46





            @Acccumulation And then it would, IMO, be either "pay a credit card" or "pay credit cards".

            – Solomon Ucko
            May 16 at 0:46




            1




            1





            @SolomonUcko Yes, "credit card" is a count noun, so the singular requires a determiner. In the original context, there's "my", which is a determiner.

            – Acccumulation
            May 16 at 14:36





            @SolomonUcko Yes, "credit card" is a count noun, so the singular requires a determiner. In the original context, there's "my", which is a determiner.

            – Acccumulation
            May 16 at 14:36


















            draft saved

            draft discarded




















































            Thanks for contributing an answer to English Language Learners Stack Exchange!


            • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

            But avoid …



            • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

            • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.


            To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




            draft saved


            draft discarded














            StackExchange.ready(
            function () {
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fell.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f210841%2fcan-i-pay-my-credit-card%23new-answer', 'question_page');
            }
            );

            Post as a guest















            Required, but never shown





















































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown

































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown







            Popular posts from this blog

            Bruad Bilen | Luke uk diar | NawigatsjuunCommonskategorii: BruadCommonskategorii: RunstükenWikiquote: Bruad

            Modern approach to radio buttons

            A word for worn pool table felt