Difference between «so that» and «such that»





.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty{ margin-bottom:0;
}







31















Are these the same?




The image will be sheared such that the x-axis goes through (1,1).



The image will be sheared so that the x-axis goes through (1,1).




I think I have usually seen the former, I didn't even know that “so that” is allowed in English until I once saw it in a text from a (as I assume) native English speaker.



Simon










share|improve this question































    31















    Are these the same?




    The image will be sheared such that the x-axis goes through (1,1).



    The image will be sheared so that the x-axis goes through (1,1).




    I think I have usually seen the former, I didn't even know that “so that” is allowed in English until I once saw it in a text from a (as I assume) native English speaker.



    Simon










    share|improve this question



























      31












      31








      31


      19






      Are these the same?




      The image will be sheared such that the x-axis goes through (1,1).



      The image will be sheared so that the x-axis goes through (1,1).




      I think I have usually seen the former, I didn't even know that “so that” is allowed in English until I once saw it in a text from a (as I assume) native English speaker.



      Simon










      share|improve this question
















      Are these the same?




      The image will be sheared such that the x-axis goes through (1,1).



      The image will be sheared so that the x-axis goes through (1,1).




      I think I have usually seen the former, I didn't even know that “so that” is allowed in English until I once saw it in a text from a (as I assume) native English speaker.



      Simon







      word-choice






      share|improve this question















      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question








      edited Nov 22 '15 at 16:35







      Simon A. Eugster

















      asked Mar 18 '11 at 19:00









      Simon A. EugsterSimon A. Eugster

      307248




      307248






















          5 Answers
          5






          active

          oldest

          votes


















          39














          The sentences, while very similar, do have a subtle difference of meaning.



          "Such that" is a description of HOW something is to be done:




          The image will be sheared such that the x-axis goes through (1,1). -> The image will be sheared in such a way that the x-axis goes through (1,1).




          "So that" is a description of WHY something is to be done:




          The image will be sheared so that the x-axis goes through (1,1) -> The image will be sheared in order for the x-axis to go through (1,1). (Or, more obviously: Because the x-axis needs to pass through (1,1), the image will be sheared appropriately.)







          share|improve this answer



















          • 3





            Right. It seems that with "such that", the outcome could just be a coincidence rather than intentional. The cup was tipped such that liquid might spill. The cup was tipped so that one could drink from it.

            – JCooper
            Mar 18 '11 at 19:33








          • 1





            I think people in the US are generally happier with the shortening of say 'The image will be sheared in such a way that the [new] x-axis goes through (1,1)' to 'The image will be sheared such that the x-axis goes through (1,1)' than people in the UK. I'd say that the preferred ellipsis here is 'The shear required is such that the new x-axis goes through (1,1)'. An adjectival rather than an adverbial. Have you authoritative examples showing the adverbial usage, please?

            – Edwin Ashworth
            May 13 '14 at 10:54













          • I just stumbled over this: Paint it red so (that?) people see it vs. Paint it such that people see it – is this the same situation, and can that be used in the first expression?

            – Simon A. Eugster
            Nov 22 '15 at 16:34











          • such is an adjective and so an adverb. The former refers to a noun and the latter to a verb. And whereas the clause the x-axis goes through (1,1) refers without a doubt to the verb shear, so is the only right word here. To make it a clause of purpose, add a modal, e.g.: so that the x axis shall go though (1,1).

            – Ant_222
            Mar 30 '17 at 19:38











          • Such is an adverb when used to mean "in such a way." merriam-webster.com/dictionary/such

            – Rodney Atkins
            Apr 4 '18 at 19:03



















          13














          This distinction criterion is very simple and always works: 'such that' expresses consequence, 'so that' purpose.






          share|improve this answer































            4














            I think that 'such that' should refer to a subject noun or pronoun. It is often stretched these days like in example 1, where it is lost upon the reader that it is the image that is such that... at least a comma after 'sheared' could help.



            Still, it would be good style to avoid 'such that' without clear subject, just like 'so that' would not be appropriate without a verb.






            share|improve this answer



















            • 1





              I agree; I'd prefer 'such that' to introduce an adjectival (see my comment above). I'm prepared to accept the adverbial usage, though; I feel it's a pity no authority for the adverbial usage has been provided.

              – Edwin Ashworth
              May 13 '14 at 10:56











            • I also agree. "So that" introduces a clause that functions as an adverb; "such that" introduces a clause that functions as an adjective. In particular, for the examples in the question, I'd use "so that".

              – Andreas Blass
              Nov 22 '15 at 22:10











            • Whereas I can't vote, I will express my sincere concurrency in this comment.

              – Ant_222
              Mar 30 '17 at 19:42



















            3














            I would say “ The image will be sheared such that the x-axis goes through (1,1)” but, as indicated by Hellion, would keep the other construct to express some higher-level aim: “ The image will be sheared so that it is clearer”.






            share|improve this answer































              2














              "Such that" is idiomatic mathematical jargon most often used in the definition of mathematical objects. The usage in your example is a bit atypical. The phrase is difficult to directly gloss, but one possible rendering for the phrase as it is used in definitions is "...for which it is true that..."



              For example, we define a rational number as "any p/q such that p and q are integers and p≠0," we've established that if there are two integers that can be divided by one another to produce a given number, then that number is rational.



              Your example is a bit different, because it isn't directly defining a mathematical object, but rather describing a transformation on a mathematical object. (Some branches of mathematics would allow you to define transformations as objects, but that isn't what's being done here.)



              By contrast, the phrase "so that" is not mathematical jargon; it's a common-use phrase that indicates the intent or result of some action or condition. Consider the following examples:




              • "I drank coffee so that I could stay awake."

              • "I drank coffee such that I could stay awake."


              These sentences are very different! The former sentence is saying that your reason for drinking coffee was to stay awake -- in order to stay awake, you drank coffee. The latter sentence is describing the coffee, not your action of drinking the coffee, saying that it's coffee that you drank before a period of time when you were able stay awake, and suggesting that the coffee had something in it that kept you awake.



              Note also that the meaning of the sentence changes yet again when a comma is added as follows:




              • "I drank coffee, such that I could stay awake."


              In this case, the phrase "such that" is modifies the entire clause in a similar manner to "so that", except it describes the result of your action of drinking the coffee rather than your reason for drinking the coffee. For one reason or another, you drank coffee, and because you drank that coffee, you were able to stay awake. If you ever see the phrase "such that" used outside of mathematics, it will probably be used like this: following a clause, separated from that clause by a comma, and describing the result of whatever's happening in that clause. Your example seems to be using the phrase in this sense, such that the sentence should probably have a comma between "sheared" and "such that".



              In particular, this usage often connotes extent, i.e., that the preceding clause is true to an extent that results in whatever's going on in the following clause -- you drank enough coffee to stay awake. This connotation is especially strong if the preceding clause uses some word or phrase that itself describes extent, as in "I drank lots of coffee, such that I could stay awake."






              share|improve this answer


























                Your Answer








                StackExchange.ready(function() {
                var channelOptions = {
                tags: "".split(" "),
                id: "97"
                };
                initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

                StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function() {
                // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
                if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled) {
                StackExchange.using("snippets", function() {
                createEditor();
                });
                }
                else {
                createEditor();
                }
                });

                function createEditor() {
                StackExchange.prepareEditor({
                heartbeatType: 'answer',
                autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
                convertImagesToLinks: false,
                noModals: true,
                showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
                reputationToPostImages: null,
                bindNavPrevention: true,
                postfix: "",
                imageUploader: {
                brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
                contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
                allowUrls: true
                },
                noCode: true, onDemand: true,
                discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
                ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
                });


                }
                });














                draft saved

                draft discarded


















                StackExchange.ready(
                function () {
                StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fenglish.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f16883%2fdifference-between-so-that-and-such-that%23new-answer', 'question_page');
                }
                );

                Post as a guest















                Required, but never shown

























                5 Answers
                5






                active

                oldest

                votes








                5 Answers
                5






                active

                oldest

                votes









                active

                oldest

                votes






                active

                oldest

                votes









                39














                The sentences, while very similar, do have a subtle difference of meaning.



                "Such that" is a description of HOW something is to be done:




                The image will be sheared such that the x-axis goes through (1,1). -> The image will be sheared in such a way that the x-axis goes through (1,1).




                "So that" is a description of WHY something is to be done:




                The image will be sheared so that the x-axis goes through (1,1) -> The image will be sheared in order for the x-axis to go through (1,1). (Or, more obviously: Because the x-axis needs to pass through (1,1), the image will be sheared appropriately.)







                share|improve this answer



















                • 3





                  Right. It seems that with "such that", the outcome could just be a coincidence rather than intentional. The cup was tipped such that liquid might spill. The cup was tipped so that one could drink from it.

                  – JCooper
                  Mar 18 '11 at 19:33








                • 1





                  I think people in the US are generally happier with the shortening of say 'The image will be sheared in such a way that the [new] x-axis goes through (1,1)' to 'The image will be sheared such that the x-axis goes through (1,1)' than people in the UK. I'd say that the preferred ellipsis here is 'The shear required is such that the new x-axis goes through (1,1)'. An adjectival rather than an adverbial. Have you authoritative examples showing the adverbial usage, please?

                  – Edwin Ashworth
                  May 13 '14 at 10:54













                • I just stumbled over this: Paint it red so (that?) people see it vs. Paint it such that people see it – is this the same situation, and can that be used in the first expression?

                  – Simon A. Eugster
                  Nov 22 '15 at 16:34











                • such is an adjective and so an adverb. The former refers to a noun and the latter to a verb. And whereas the clause the x-axis goes through (1,1) refers without a doubt to the verb shear, so is the only right word here. To make it a clause of purpose, add a modal, e.g.: so that the x axis shall go though (1,1).

                  – Ant_222
                  Mar 30 '17 at 19:38











                • Such is an adverb when used to mean "in such a way." merriam-webster.com/dictionary/such

                  – Rodney Atkins
                  Apr 4 '18 at 19:03
















                39














                The sentences, while very similar, do have a subtle difference of meaning.



                "Such that" is a description of HOW something is to be done:




                The image will be sheared such that the x-axis goes through (1,1). -> The image will be sheared in such a way that the x-axis goes through (1,1).




                "So that" is a description of WHY something is to be done:




                The image will be sheared so that the x-axis goes through (1,1) -> The image will be sheared in order for the x-axis to go through (1,1). (Or, more obviously: Because the x-axis needs to pass through (1,1), the image will be sheared appropriately.)







                share|improve this answer



















                • 3





                  Right. It seems that with "such that", the outcome could just be a coincidence rather than intentional. The cup was tipped such that liquid might spill. The cup was tipped so that one could drink from it.

                  – JCooper
                  Mar 18 '11 at 19:33








                • 1





                  I think people in the US are generally happier with the shortening of say 'The image will be sheared in such a way that the [new] x-axis goes through (1,1)' to 'The image will be sheared such that the x-axis goes through (1,1)' than people in the UK. I'd say that the preferred ellipsis here is 'The shear required is such that the new x-axis goes through (1,1)'. An adjectival rather than an adverbial. Have you authoritative examples showing the adverbial usage, please?

                  – Edwin Ashworth
                  May 13 '14 at 10:54













                • I just stumbled over this: Paint it red so (that?) people see it vs. Paint it such that people see it – is this the same situation, and can that be used in the first expression?

                  – Simon A. Eugster
                  Nov 22 '15 at 16:34











                • such is an adjective and so an adverb. The former refers to a noun and the latter to a verb. And whereas the clause the x-axis goes through (1,1) refers without a doubt to the verb shear, so is the only right word here. To make it a clause of purpose, add a modal, e.g.: so that the x axis shall go though (1,1).

                  – Ant_222
                  Mar 30 '17 at 19:38











                • Such is an adverb when used to mean "in such a way." merriam-webster.com/dictionary/such

                  – Rodney Atkins
                  Apr 4 '18 at 19:03














                39












                39








                39







                The sentences, while very similar, do have a subtle difference of meaning.



                "Such that" is a description of HOW something is to be done:




                The image will be sheared such that the x-axis goes through (1,1). -> The image will be sheared in such a way that the x-axis goes through (1,1).




                "So that" is a description of WHY something is to be done:




                The image will be sheared so that the x-axis goes through (1,1) -> The image will be sheared in order for the x-axis to go through (1,1). (Or, more obviously: Because the x-axis needs to pass through (1,1), the image will be sheared appropriately.)







                share|improve this answer













                The sentences, while very similar, do have a subtle difference of meaning.



                "Such that" is a description of HOW something is to be done:




                The image will be sheared such that the x-axis goes through (1,1). -> The image will be sheared in such a way that the x-axis goes through (1,1).




                "So that" is a description of WHY something is to be done:




                The image will be sheared so that the x-axis goes through (1,1) -> The image will be sheared in order for the x-axis to go through (1,1). (Or, more obviously: Because the x-axis needs to pass through (1,1), the image will be sheared appropriately.)








                share|improve this answer












                share|improve this answer



                share|improve this answer










                answered Mar 18 '11 at 19:21









                HellionHellion

                55k14110198




                55k14110198








                • 3





                  Right. It seems that with "such that", the outcome could just be a coincidence rather than intentional. The cup was tipped such that liquid might spill. The cup was tipped so that one could drink from it.

                  – JCooper
                  Mar 18 '11 at 19:33








                • 1





                  I think people in the US are generally happier with the shortening of say 'The image will be sheared in such a way that the [new] x-axis goes through (1,1)' to 'The image will be sheared such that the x-axis goes through (1,1)' than people in the UK. I'd say that the preferred ellipsis here is 'The shear required is such that the new x-axis goes through (1,1)'. An adjectival rather than an adverbial. Have you authoritative examples showing the adverbial usage, please?

                  – Edwin Ashworth
                  May 13 '14 at 10:54













                • I just stumbled over this: Paint it red so (that?) people see it vs. Paint it such that people see it – is this the same situation, and can that be used in the first expression?

                  – Simon A. Eugster
                  Nov 22 '15 at 16:34











                • such is an adjective and so an adverb. The former refers to a noun and the latter to a verb. And whereas the clause the x-axis goes through (1,1) refers without a doubt to the verb shear, so is the only right word here. To make it a clause of purpose, add a modal, e.g.: so that the x axis shall go though (1,1).

                  – Ant_222
                  Mar 30 '17 at 19:38











                • Such is an adverb when used to mean "in such a way." merriam-webster.com/dictionary/such

                  – Rodney Atkins
                  Apr 4 '18 at 19:03














                • 3





                  Right. It seems that with "such that", the outcome could just be a coincidence rather than intentional. The cup was tipped such that liquid might spill. The cup was tipped so that one could drink from it.

                  – JCooper
                  Mar 18 '11 at 19:33








                • 1





                  I think people in the US are generally happier with the shortening of say 'The image will be sheared in such a way that the [new] x-axis goes through (1,1)' to 'The image will be sheared such that the x-axis goes through (1,1)' than people in the UK. I'd say that the preferred ellipsis here is 'The shear required is such that the new x-axis goes through (1,1)'. An adjectival rather than an adverbial. Have you authoritative examples showing the adverbial usage, please?

                  – Edwin Ashworth
                  May 13 '14 at 10:54













                • I just stumbled over this: Paint it red so (that?) people see it vs. Paint it such that people see it – is this the same situation, and can that be used in the first expression?

                  – Simon A. Eugster
                  Nov 22 '15 at 16:34











                • such is an adjective and so an adverb. The former refers to a noun and the latter to a verb. And whereas the clause the x-axis goes through (1,1) refers without a doubt to the verb shear, so is the only right word here. To make it a clause of purpose, add a modal, e.g.: so that the x axis shall go though (1,1).

                  – Ant_222
                  Mar 30 '17 at 19:38











                • Such is an adverb when used to mean "in such a way." merriam-webster.com/dictionary/such

                  – Rodney Atkins
                  Apr 4 '18 at 19:03








                3




                3





                Right. It seems that with "such that", the outcome could just be a coincidence rather than intentional. The cup was tipped such that liquid might spill. The cup was tipped so that one could drink from it.

                – JCooper
                Mar 18 '11 at 19:33







                Right. It seems that with "such that", the outcome could just be a coincidence rather than intentional. The cup was tipped such that liquid might spill. The cup was tipped so that one could drink from it.

                – JCooper
                Mar 18 '11 at 19:33






                1




                1





                I think people in the US are generally happier with the shortening of say 'The image will be sheared in such a way that the [new] x-axis goes through (1,1)' to 'The image will be sheared such that the x-axis goes through (1,1)' than people in the UK. I'd say that the preferred ellipsis here is 'The shear required is such that the new x-axis goes through (1,1)'. An adjectival rather than an adverbial. Have you authoritative examples showing the adverbial usage, please?

                – Edwin Ashworth
                May 13 '14 at 10:54







                I think people in the US are generally happier with the shortening of say 'The image will be sheared in such a way that the [new] x-axis goes through (1,1)' to 'The image will be sheared such that the x-axis goes through (1,1)' than people in the UK. I'd say that the preferred ellipsis here is 'The shear required is such that the new x-axis goes through (1,1)'. An adjectival rather than an adverbial. Have you authoritative examples showing the adverbial usage, please?

                – Edwin Ashworth
                May 13 '14 at 10:54















                I just stumbled over this: Paint it red so (that?) people see it vs. Paint it such that people see it – is this the same situation, and can that be used in the first expression?

                – Simon A. Eugster
                Nov 22 '15 at 16:34





                I just stumbled over this: Paint it red so (that?) people see it vs. Paint it such that people see it – is this the same situation, and can that be used in the first expression?

                – Simon A. Eugster
                Nov 22 '15 at 16:34













                such is an adjective and so an adverb. The former refers to a noun and the latter to a verb. And whereas the clause the x-axis goes through (1,1) refers without a doubt to the verb shear, so is the only right word here. To make it a clause of purpose, add a modal, e.g.: so that the x axis shall go though (1,1).

                – Ant_222
                Mar 30 '17 at 19:38





                such is an adjective and so an adverb. The former refers to a noun and the latter to a verb. And whereas the clause the x-axis goes through (1,1) refers without a doubt to the verb shear, so is the only right word here. To make it a clause of purpose, add a modal, e.g.: so that the x axis shall go though (1,1).

                – Ant_222
                Mar 30 '17 at 19:38













                Such is an adverb when used to mean "in such a way." merriam-webster.com/dictionary/such

                – Rodney Atkins
                Apr 4 '18 at 19:03





                Such is an adverb when used to mean "in such a way." merriam-webster.com/dictionary/such

                – Rodney Atkins
                Apr 4 '18 at 19:03













                13














                This distinction criterion is very simple and always works: 'such that' expresses consequence, 'so that' purpose.






                share|improve this answer




























                  13














                  This distinction criterion is very simple and always works: 'such that' expresses consequence, 'so that' purpose.






                  share|improve this answer


























                    13












                    13








                    13







                    This distinction criterion is very simple and always works: 'such that' expresses consequence, 'so that' purpose.






                    share|improve this answer













                    This distinction criterion is very simple and always works: 'such that' expresses consequence, 'so that' purpose.







                    share|improve this answer












                    share|improve this answer



                    share|improve this answer










                    answered Feb 1 '13 at 12:36









                    HeraHera

                    13112




                    13112























                        4














                        I think that 'such that' should refer to a subject noun or pronoun. It is often stretched these days like in example 1, where it is lost upon the reader that it is the image that is such that... at least a comma after 'sheared' could help.



                        Still, it would be good style to avoid 'such that' without clear subject, just like 'so that' would not be appropriate without a verb.






                        share|improve this answer



















                        • 1





                          I agree; I'd prefer 'such that' to introduce an adjectival (see my comment above). I'm prepared to accept the adverbial usage, though; I feel it's a pity no authority for the adverbial usage has been provided.

                          – Edwin Ashworth
                          May 13 '14 at 10:56











                        • I also agree. "So that" introduces a clause that functions as an adverb; "such that" introduces a clause that functions as an adjective. In particular, for the examples in the question, I'd use "so that".

                          – Andreas Blass
                          Nov 22 '15 at 22:10











                        • Whereas I can't vote, I will express my sincere concurrency in this comment.

                          – Ant_222
                          Mar 30 '17 at 19:42
















                        4














                        I think that 'such that' should refer to a subject noun or pronoun. It is often stretched these days like in example 1, where it is lost upon the reader that it is the image that is such that... at least a comma after 'sheared' could help.



                        Still, it would be good style to avoid 'such that' without clear subject, just like 'so that' would not be appropriate without a verb.






                        share|improve this answer



















                        • 1





                          I agree; I'd prefer 'such that' to introduce an adjectival (see my comment above). I'm prepared to accept the adverbial usage, though; I feel it's a pity no authority for the adverbial usage has been provided.

                          – Edwin Ashworth
                          May 13 '14 at 10:56











                        • I also agree. "So that" introduces a clause that functions as an adverb; "such that" introduces a clause that functions as an adjective. In particular, for the examples in the question, I'd use "so that".

                          – Andreas Blass
                          Nov 22 '15 at 22:10











                        • Whereas I can't vote, I will express my sincere concurrency in this comment.

                          – Ant_222
                          Mar 30 '17 at 19:42














                        4












                        4








                        4







                        I think that 'such that' should refer to a subject noun or pronoun. It is often stretched these days like in example 1, where it is lost upon the reader that it is the image that is such that... at least a comma after 'sheared' could help.



                        Still, it would be good style to avoid 'such that' without clear subject, just like 'so that' would not be appropriate without a verb.






                        share|improve this answer













                        I think that 'such that' should refer to a subject noun or pronoun. It is often stretched these days like in example 1, where it is lost upon the reader that it is the image that is such that... at least a comma after 'sheared' could help.



                        Still, it would be good style to avoid 'such that' without clear subject, just like 'so that' would not be appropriate without a verb.







                        share|improve this answer












                        share|improve this answer



                        share|improve this answer










                        answered May 13 '14 at 0:26









                        user74981user74981

                        511




                        511








                        • 1





                          I agree; I'd prefer 'such that' to introduce an adjectival (see my comment above). I'm prepared to accept the adverbial usage, though; I feel it's a pity no authority for the adverbial usage has been provided.

                          – Edwin Ashworth
                          May 13 '14 at 10:56











                        • I also agree. "So that" introduces a clause that functions as an adverb; "such that" introduces a clause that functions as an adjective. In particular, for the examples in the question, I'd use "so that".

                          – Andreas Blass
                          Nov 22 '15 at 22:10











                        • Whereas I can't vote, I will express my sincere concurrency in this comment.

                          – Ant_222
                          Mar 30 '17 at 19:42














                        • 1





                          I agree; I'd prefer 'such that' to introduce an adjectival (see my comment above). I'm prepared to accept the adverbial usage, though; I feel it's a pity no authority for the adverbial usage has been provided.

                          – Edwin Ashworth
                          May 13 '14 at 10:56











                        • I also agree. "So that" introduces a clause that functions as an adverb; "such that" introduces a clause that functions as an adjective. In particular, for the examples in the question, I'd use "so that".

                          – Andreas Blass
                          Nov 22 '15 at 22:10











                        • Whereas I can't vote, I will express my sincere concurrency in this comment.

                          – Ant_222
                          Mar 30 '17 at 19:42








                        1




                        1





                        I agree; I'd prefer 'such that' to introduce an adjectival (see my comment above). I'm prepared to accept the adverbial usage, though; I feel it's a pity no authority for the adverbial usage has been provided.

                        – Edwin Ashworth
                        May 13 '14 at 10:56





                        I agree; I'd prefer 'such that' to introduce an adjectival (see my comment above). I'm prepared to accept the adverbial usage, though; I feel it's a pity no authority for the adverbial usage has been provided.

                        – Edwin Ashworth
                        May 13 '14 at 10:56













                        I also agree. "So that" introduces a clause that functions as an adverb; "such that" introduces a clause that functions as an adjective. In particular, for the examples in the question, I'd use "so that".

                        – Andreas Blass
                        Nov 22 '15 at 22:10





                        I also agree. "So that" introduces a clause that functions as an adverb; "such that" introduces a clause that functions as an adjective. In particular, for the examples in the question, I'd use "so that".

                        – Andreas Blass
                        Nov 22 '15 at 22:10













                        Whereas I can't vote, I will express my sincere concurrency in this comment.

                        – Ant_222
                        Mar 30 '17 at 19:42





                        Whereas I can't vote, I will express my sincere concurrency in this comment.

                        – Ant_222
                        Mar 30 '17 at 19:42











                        3














                        I would say “ The image will be sheared such that the x-axis goes through (1,1)” but, as indicated by Hellion, would keep the other construct to express some higher-level aim: “ The image will be sheared so that it is clearer”.






                        share|improve this answer




























                          3














                          I would say “ The image will be sheared such that the x-axis goes through (1,1)” but, as indicated by Hellion, would keep the other construct to express some higher-level aim: “ The image will be sheared so that it is clearer”.






                          share|improve this answer


























                            3












                            3








                            3







                            I would say “ The image will be sheared such that the x-axis goes through (1,1)” but, as indicated by Hellion, would keep the other construct to express some higher-level aim: “ The image will be sheared so that it is clearer”.






                            share|improve this answer













                            I would say “ The image will be sheared such that the x-axis goes through (1,1)” but, as indicated by Hellion, would keep the other construct to express some higher-level aim: “ The image will be sheared so that it is clearer”.







                            share|improve this answer












                            share|improve this answer



                            share|improve this answer










                            answered Mar 18 '11 at 20:14









                            F'xF'x

                            33.8k15127222




                            33.8k15127222























                                2














                                "Such that" is idiomatic mathematical jargon most often used in the definition of mathematical objects. The usage in your example is a bit atypical. The phrase is difficult to directly gloss, but one possible rendering for the phrase as it is used in definitions is "...for which it is true that..."



                                For example, we define a rational number as "any p/q such that p and q are integers and p≠0," we've established that if there are two integers that can be divided by one another to produce a given number, then that number is rational.



                                Your example is a bit different, because it isn't directly defining a mathematical object, but rather describing a transformation on a mathematical object. (Some branches of mathematics would allow you to define transformations as objects, but that isn't what's being done here.)



                                By contrast, the phrase "so that" is not mathematical jargon; it's a common-use phrase that indicates the intent or result of some action or condition. Consider the following examples:




                                • "I drank coffee so that I could stay awake."

                                • "I drank coffee such that I could stay awake."


                                These sentences are very different! The former sentence is saying that your reason for drinking coffee was to stay awake -- in order to stay awake, you drank coffee. The latter sentence is describing the coffee, not your action of drinking the coffee, saying that it's coffee that you drank before a period of time when you were able stay awake, and suggesting that the coffee had something in it that kept you awake.



                                Note also that the meaning of the sentence changes yet again when a comma is added as follows:




                                • "I drank coffee, such that I could stay awake."


                                In this case, the phrase "such that" is modifies the entire clause in a similar manner to "so that", except it describes the result of your action of drinking the coffee rather than your reason for drinking the coffee. For one reason or another, you drank coffee, and because you drank that coffee, you were able to stay awake. If you ever see the phrase "such that" used outside of mathematics, it will probably be used like this: following a clause, separated from that clause by a comma, and describing the result of whatever's happening in that clause. Your example seems to be using the phrase in this sense, such that the sentence should probably have a comma between "sheared" and "such that".



                                In particular, this usage often connotes extent, i.e., that the preceding clause is true to an extent that results in whatever's going on in the following clause -- you drank enough coffee to stay awake. This connotation is especially strong if the preceding clause uses some word or phrase that itself describes extent, as in "I drank lots of coffee, such that I could stay awake."






                                share|improve this answer






























                                  2














                                  "Such that" is idiomatic mathematical jargon most often used in the definition of mathematical objects. The usage in your example is a bit atypical. The phrase is difficult to directly gloss, but one possible rendering for the phrase as it is used in definitions is "...for which it is true that..."



                                  For example, we define a rational number as "any p/q such that p and q are integers and p≠0," we've established that if there are two integers that can be divided by one another to produce a given number, then that number is rational.



                                  Your example is a bit different, because it isn't directly defining a mathematical object, but rather describing a transformation on a mathematical object. (Some branches of mathematics would allow you to define transformations as objects, but that isn't what's being done here.)



                                  By contrast, the phrase "so that" is not mathematical jargon; it's a common-use phrase that indicates the intent or result of some action or condition. Consider the following examples:




                                  • "I drank coffee so that I could stay awake."

                                  • "I drank coffee such that I could stay awake."


                                  These sentences are very different! The former sentence is saying that your reason for drinking coffee was to stay awake -- in order to stay awake, you drank coffee. The latter sentence is describing the coffee, not your action of drinking the coffee, saying that it's coffee that you drank before a period of time when you were able stay awake, and suggesting that the coffee had something in it that kept you awake.



                                  Note also that the meaning of the sentence changes yet again when a comma is added as follows:




                                  • "I drank coffee, such that I could stay awake."


                                  In this case, the phrase "such that" is modifies the entire clause in a similar manner to "so that", except it describes the result of your action of drinking the coffee rather than your reason for drinking the coffee. For one reason or another, you drank coffee, and because you drank that coffee, you were able to stay awake. If you ever see the phrase "such that" used outside of mathematics, it will probably be used like this: following a clause, separated from that clause by a comma, and describing the result of whatever's happening in that clause. Your example seems to be using the phrase in this sense, such that the sentence should probably have a comma between "sheared" and "such that".



                                  In particular, this usage often connotes extent, i.e., that the preceding clause is true to an extent that results in whatever's going on in the following clause -- you drank enough coffee to stay awake. This connotation is especially strong if the preceding clause uses some word or phrase that itself describes extent, as in "I drank lots of coffee, such that I could stay awake."






                                  share|improve this answer




























                                    2












                                    2








                                    2







                                    "Such that" is idiomatic mathematical jargon most often used in the definition of mathematical objects. The usage in your example is a bit atypical. The phrase is difficult to directly gloss, but one possible rendering for the phrase as it is used in definitions is "...for which it is true that..."



                                    For example, we define a rational number as "any p/q such that p and q are integers and p≠0," we've established that if there are two integers that can be divided by one another to produce a given number, then that number is rational.



                                    Your example is a bit different, because it isn't directly defining a mathematical object, but rather describing a transformation on a mathematical object. (Some branches of mathematics would allow you to define transformations as objects, but that isn't what's being done here.)



                                    By contrast, the phrase "so that" is not mathematical jargon; it's a common-use phrase that indicates the intent or result of some action or condition. Consider the following examples:




                                    • "I drank coffee so that I could stay awake."

                                    • "I drank coffee such that I could stay awake."


                                    These sentences are very different! The former sentence is saying that your reason for drinking coffee was to stay awake -- in order to stay awake, you drank coffee. The latter sentence is describing the coffee, not your action of drinking the coffee, saying that it's coffee that you drank before a period of time when you were able stay awake, and suggesting that the coffee had something in it that kept you awake.



                                    Note also that the meaning of the sentence changes yet again when a comma is added as follows:




                                    • "I drank coffee, such that I could stay awake."


                                    In this case, the phrase "such that" is modifies the entire clause in a similar manner to "so that", except it describes the result of your action of drinking the coffee rather than your reason for drinking the coffee. For one reason or another, you drank coffee, and because you drank that coffee, you were able to stay awake. If you ever see the phrase "such that" used outside of mathematics, it will probably be used like this: following a clause, separated from that clause by a comma, and describing the result of whatever's happening in that clause. Your example seems to be using the phrase in this sense, such that the sentence should probably have a comma between "sheared" and "such that".



                                    In particular, this usage often connotes extent, i.e., that the preceding clause is true to an extent that results in whatever's going on in the following clause -- you drank enough coffee to stay awake. This connotation is especially strong if the preceding clause uses some word or phrase that itself describes extent, as in "I drank lots of coffee, such that I could stay awake."






                                    share|improve this answer















                                    "Such that" is idiomatic mathematical jargon most often used in the definition of mathematical objects. The usage in your example is a bit atypical. The phrase is difficult to directly gloss, but one possible rendering for the phrase as it is used in definitions is "...for which it is true that..."



                                    For example, we define a rational number as "any p/q such that p and q are integers and p≠0," we've established that if there are two integers that can be divided by one another to produce a given number, then that number is rational.



                                    Your example is a bit different, because it isn't directly defining a mathematical object, but rather describing a transformation on a mathematical object. (Some branches of mathematics would allow you to define transformations as objects, but that isn't what's being done here.)



                                    By contrast, the phrase "so that" is not mathematical jargon; it's a common-use phrase that indicates the intent or result of some action or condition. Consider the following examples:




                                    • "I drank coffee so that I could stay awake."

                                    • "I drank coffee such that I could stay awake."


                                    These sentences are very different! The former sentence is saying that your reason for drinking coffee was to stay awake -- in order to stay awake, you drank coffee. The latter sentence is describing the coffee, not your action of drinking the coffee, saying that it's coffee that you drank before a period of time when you were able stay awake, and suggesting that the coffee had something in it that kept you awake.



                                    Note also that the meaning of the sentence changes yet again when a comma is added as follows:




                                    • "I drank coffee, such that I could stay awake."


                                    In this case, the phrase "such that" is modifies the entire clause in a similar manner to "so that", except it describes the result of your action of drinking the coffee rather than your reason for drinking the coffee. For one reason or another, you drank coffee, and because you drank that coffee, you were able to stay awake. If you ever see the phrase "such that" used outside of mathematics, it will probably be used like this: following a clause, separated from that clause by a comma, and describing the result of whatever's happening in that clause. Your example seems to be using the phrase in this sense, such that the sentence should probably have a comma between "sheared" and "such that".



                                    In particular, this usage often connotes extent, i.e., that the preceding clause is true to an extent that results in whatever's going on in the following clause -- you drank enough coffee to stay awake. This connotation is especially strong if the preceding clause uses some word or phrase that itself describes extent, as in "I drank lots of coffee, such that I could stay awake."







                                    share|improve this answer














                                    share|improve this answer



                                    share|improve this answer








                                    edited May 16 at 15:58

























                                    answered May 14 at 15:54









                                    Foobie BletchFoobie Bletch

                                    212




                                    212






























                                        draft saved

                                        draft discarded




















































                                        Thanks for contributing an answer to English Language & Usage Stack Exchange!


                                        • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

                                        But avoid …



                                        • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

                                        • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.


                                        To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




                                        draft saved


                                        draft discarded














                                        StackExchange.ready(
                                        function () {
                                        StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fenglish.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f16883%2fdifference-between-so-that-and-such-that%23new-answer', 'question_page');
                                        }
                                        );

                                        Post as a guest















                                        Required, but never shown





















































                                        Required, but never shown














                                        Required, but never shown












                                        Required, but never shown







                                        Required, but never shown

































                                        Required, but never shown














                                        Required, but never shown












                                        Required, but never shown







                                        Required, but never shown







                                        Popular posts from this blog

                                        Bruad Bilen | Luke uk diar | NawigatsjuunCommonskategorii: BruadCommonskategorii: RunstükenWikiquote: Bruad

                                        Modern approach to radio buttons

                                        A word for worn pool table felt