Nails holding drywall





.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty{ margin-bottom:0;
}







5















The upstairs of my house was remodeled before I bought it. The whole house used to be plaster and lath but the upstairs is now drywall. The upstairs drywall has needed some minor repairs ever since I've moved in.



What I've noticed is that the majority of the blemishes that need to be repaired are nails. It is as though the nails are popping the joint compound off the walls and ceiling. Further, it looks like the drywall is actually held in with nails.



Is it common to attach drywall with nails?



Should I pull the nails and replace them with screws before fixing the blemishes?










share|improve this question


















  • 3





    This is super common because hammers are cheaper than screw guns for a crew of installers. The blemishes even have a common term - "nail pops".

    – JPhi1618
    Apr 25 at 18:19






  • 3





    @JPhi1618 - If I ever saw a drywall crew use nails I would not only make them use screws but never think about hiring them again. We know that no matter what nails will pop after a 10-15 years, this isn't a matter of opinion. If drywall crew is cutting corners here who knows what else they do.

    – DMoore
    Apr 25 at 19:35











  • @DMoore, absolutely. Screws are the norm now - I should have stated it was very common in the past. I have a 90's house full of drywall nails and I hate it.

    – JPhi1618
    Apr 25 at 19:37






  • 2





    This reminds of a builder we were about to hire. I always ask for a complete materials list. I saw a bunch of flat head nails... thought maybe roof. Confirmed drywall - lost the job.b

    – DMoore
    Apr 25 at 19:46






  • 1





    @Jasen - Not true. Most drywall is not installed with glue. Glue may be used in some specific applications but not in general.

    – Michael Karas♦
    Apr 26 at 4:43


















5















The upstairs of my house was remodeled before I bought it. The whole house used to be plaster and lath but the upstairs is now drywall. The upstairs drywall has needed some minor repairs ever since I've moved in.



What I've noticed is that the majority of the blemishes that need to be repaired are nails. It is as though the nails are popping the joint compound off the walls and ceiling. Further, it looks like the drywall is actually held in with nails.



Is it common to attach drywall with nails?



Should I pull the nails and replace them with screws before fixing the blemishes?










share|improve this question


















  • 3





    This is super common because hammers are cheaper than screw guns for a crew of installers. The blemishes even have a common term - "nail pops".

    – JPhi1618
    Apr 25 at 18:19






  • 3





    @JPhi1618 - If I ever saw a drywall crew use nails I would not only make them use screws but never think about hiring them again. We know that no matter what nails will pop after a 10-15 years, this isn't a matter of opinion. If drywall crew is cutting corners here who knows what else they do.

    – DMoore
    Apr 25 at 19:35











  • @DMoore, absolutely. Screws are the norm now - I should have stated it was very common in the past. I have a 90's house full of drywall nails and I hate it.

    – JPhi1618
    Apr 25 at 19:37






  • 2





    This reminds of a builder we were about to hire. I always ask for a complete materials list. I saw a bunch of flat head nails... thought maybe roof. Confirmed drywall - lost the job.b

    – DMoore
    Apr 25 at 19:46






  • 1





    @Jasen - Not true. Most drywall is not installed with glue. Glue may be used in some specific applications but not in general.

    – Michael Karas♦
    Apr 26 at 4:43














5












5








5








The upstairs of my house was remodeled before I bought it. The whole house used to be plaster and lath but the upstairs is now drywall. The upstairs drywall has needed some minor repairs ever since I've moved in.



What I've noticed is that the majority of the blemishes that need to be repaired are nails. It is as though the nails are popping the joint compound off the walls and ceiling. Further, it looks like the drywall is actually held in with nails.



Is it common to attach drywall with nails?



Should I pull the nails and replace them with screws before fixing the blemishes?










share|improve this question














The upstairs of my house was remodeled before I bought it. The whole house used to be plaster and lath but the upstairs is now drywall. The upstairs drywall has needed some minor repairs ever since I've moved in.



What I've noticed is that the majority of the blemishes that need to be repaired are nails. It is as though the nails are popping the joint compound off the walls and ceiling. Further, it looks like the drywall is actually held in with nails.



Is it common to attach drywall with nails?



Should I pull the nails and replace them with screws before fixing the blemishes?







drywall






share|improve this question













share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked Apr 25 at 18:16









vini_ivini_i

269313




269313








  • 3





    This is super common because hammers are cheaper than screw guns for a crew of installers. The blemishes even have a common term - "nail pops".

    – JPhi1618
    Apr 25 at 18:19






  • 3





    @JPhi1618 - If I ever saw a drywall crew use nails I would not only make them use screws but never think about hiring them again. We know that no matter what nails will pop after a 10-15 years, this isn't a matter of opinion. If drywall crew is cutting corners here who knows what else they do.

    – DMoore
    Apr 25 at 19:35











  • @DMoore, absolutely. Screws are the norm now - I should have stated it was very common in the past. I have a 90's house full of drywall nails and I hate it.

    – JPhi1618
    Apr 25 at 19:37






  • 2





    This reminds of a builder we were about to hire. I always ask for a complete materials list. I saw a bunch of flat head nails... thought maybe roof. Confirmed drywall - lost the job.b

    – DMoore
    Apr 25 at 19:46






  • 1





    @Jasen - Not true. Most drywall is not installed with glue. Glue may be used in some specific applications but not in general.

    – Michael Karas♦
    Apr 26 at 4:43














  • 3





    This is super common because hammers are cheaper than screw guns for a crew of installers. The blemishes even have a common term - "nail pops".

    – JPhi1618
    Apr 25 at 18:19






  • 3





    @JPhi1618 - If I ever saw a drywall crew use nails I would not only make them use screws but never think about hiring them again. We know that no matter what nails will pop after a 10-15 years, this isn't a matter of opinion. If drywall crew is cutting corners here who knows what else they do.

    – DMoore
    Apr 25 at 19:35











  • @DMoore, absolutely. Screws are the norm now - I should have stated it was very common in the past. I have a 90's house full of drywall nails and I hate it.

    – JPhi1618
    Apr 25 at 19:37






  • 2





    This reminds of a builder we were about to hire. I always ask for a complete materials list. I saw a bunch of flat head nails... thought maybe roof. Confirmed drywall - lost the job.b

    – DMoore
    Apr 25 at 19:46






  • 1





    @Jasen - Not true. Most drywall is not installed with glue. Glue may be used in some specific applications but not in general.

    – Michael Karas♦
    Apr 26 at 4:43








3




3





This is super common because hammers are cheaper than screw guns for a crew of installers. The blemishes even have a common term - "nail pops".

– JPhi1618
Apr 25 at 18:19





This is super common because hammers are cheaper than screw guns for a crew of installers. The blemishes even have a common term - "nail pops".

– JPhi1618
Apr 25 at 18:19




3




3





@JPhi1618 - If I ever saw a drywall crew use nails I would not only make them use screws but never think about hiring them again. We know that no matter what nails will pop after a 10-15 years, this isn't a matter of opinion. If drywall crew is cutting corners here who knows what else they do.

– DMoore
Apr 25 at 19:35





@JPhi1618 - If I ever saw a drywall crew use nails I would not only make them use screws but never think about hiring them again. We know that no matter what nails will pop after a 10-15 years, this isn't a matter of opinion. If drywall crew is cutting corners here who knows what else they do.

– DMoore
Apr 25 at 19:35













@DMoore, absolutely. Screws are the norm now - I should have stated it was very common in the past. I have a 90's house full of drywall nails and I hate it.

– JPhi1618
Apr 25 at 19:37





@DMoore, absolutely. Screws are the norm now - I should have stated it was very common in the past. I have a 90's house full of drywall nails and I hate it.

– JPhi1618
Apr 25 at 19:37




2




2





This reminds of a builder we were about to hire. I always ask for a complete materials list. I saw a bunch of flat head nails... thought maybe roof. Confirmed drywall - lost the job.b

– DMoore
Apr 25 at 19:46





This reminds of a builder we were about to hire. I always ask for a complete materials list. I saw a bunch of flat head nails... thought maybe roof. Confirmed drywall - lost the job.b

– DMoore
Apr 25 at 19:46




1




1





@Jasen - Not true. Most drywall is not installed with glue. Glue may be used in some specific applications but not in general.

– Michael Karas♦
Apr 26 at 4:43





@Jasen - Not true. Most drywall is not installed with glue. Glue may be used in some specific applications but not in general.

– Michael Karas♦
Apr 26 at 4:43










2 Answers
2






active

oldest

votes


















7














It is not common now, it once was.



At one time it was standard practice to use nails. It could be the the structure in the wall that the nail are into is not all that solid so the heads (Pop). I always notice a few popped heads after an earthquake here.



I do not think you need to pull them, Put a screw in next to each one and then gently hammer the nail back into place. The screw should keep the drywall from moving an thus the nail from popping out again. Then you can make your finishing repairs. Of coarse you could pull them if you want.






share|improve this answer
























  • The renovation took place in 2008. Is that far enough back to have used nails?

    – vini_i
    Apr 25 at 18:28






  • 1





    Our house was built in 2002 and used nails.

    – BillDOe
    Apr 25 at 18:35











  • I've done renovations in 2017 and used ring shank or pitch coated nails because I am a lazy bastard and nails are faster and easier to judge depth on and I'm weak and can't keep a lot of weight on the back of the drill to drive the screws in properly, sometimes. They're also easier to remove when the next renovation comes around. Screws are fine too, of course.

    – Adonalsium
    Apr 25 at 18:58













  • @vini_i My house was flipped three years ago and they used nails... which are popping out and very noticeable now. A few have broken through the paint...

    – Zach Mierzejewski
    Apr 25 at 22:14











  • @vini_i if the reno work was done by a handy-person then they could be using older techniques. So yes even work done today could involve nailing drywall.

    – Criggie
    Apr 26 at 2:02



















9














It was common. Now most drywall is screwed, which leads to much fewer pops.



The usual fix is to screw between the popped nails (and a few more may pop as the board is pulled tight). Then pull and patch the popped nails.






share|improve this answer



















  • 3





    Remember, screw guns have only been widely used since the 80s and even then it was hit and miss.

    – DMoore
    Apr 25 at 18:40






  • 1





    @DMoore - ;-)))

    – Hot Licks
    Apr 25 at 22:43












Your Answer








StackExchange.ready(function() {
var channelOptions = {
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "73"
};
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function() {
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled) {
StackExchange.using("snippets", function() {
createEditor();
});
}
else {
createEditor();
}
});

function createEditor() {
StackExchange.prepareEditor({
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: false,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: null,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader: {
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
},
noCode: true, onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
});


}
});














draft saved

draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function () {
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fdiy.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f163747%2fnails-holding-drywall%23new-answer', 'question_page');
}
);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown

























2 Answers
2






active

oldest

votes








2 Answers
2






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes









7














It is not common now, it once was.



At one time it was standard practice to use nails. It could be the the structure in the wall that the nail are into is not all that solid so the heads (Pop). I always notice a few popped heads after an earthquake here.



I do not think you need to pull them, Put a screw in next to each one and then gently hammer the nail back into place. The screw should keep the drywall from moving an thus the nail from popping out again. Then you can make your finishing repairs. Of coarse you could pull them if you want.






share|improve this answer
























  • The renovation took place in 2008. Is that far enough back to have used nails?

    – vini_i
    Apr 25 at 18:28






  • 1





    Our house was built in 2002 and used nails.

    – BillDOe
    Apr 25 at 18:35











  • I've done renovations in 2017 and used ring shank or pitch coated nails because I am a lazy bastard and nails are faster and easier to judge depth on and I'm weak and can't keep a lot of weight on the back of the drill to drive the screws in properly, sometimes. They're also easier to remove when the next renovation comes around. Screws are fine too, of course.

    – Adonalsium
    Apr 25 at 18:58













  • @vini_i My house was flipped three years ago and they used nails... which are popping out and very noticeable now. A few have broken through the paint...

    – Zach Mierzejewski
    Apr 25 at 22:14











  • @vini_i if the reno work was done by a handy-person then they could be using older techniques. So yes even work done today could involve nailing drywall.

    – Criggie
    Apr 26 at 2:02
















7














It is not common now, it once was.



At one time it was standard practice to use nails. It could be the the structure in the wall that the nail are into is not all that solid so the heads (Pop). I always notice a few popped heads after an earthquake here.



I do not think you need to pull them, Put a screw in next to each one and then gently hammer the nail back into place. The screw should keep the drywall from moving an thus the nail from popping out again. Then you can make your finishing repairs. Of coarse you could pull them if you want.






share|improve this answer
























  • The renovation took place in 2008. Is that far enough back to have used nails?

    – vini_i
    Apr 25 at 18:28






  • 1





    Our house was built in 2002 and used nails.

    – BillDOe
    Apr 25 at 18:35











  • I've done renovations in 2017 and used ring shank or pitch coated nails because I am a lazy bastard and nails are faster and easier to judge depth on and I'm weak and can't keep a lot of weight on the back of the drill to drive the screws in properly, sometimes. They're also easier to remove when the next renovation comes around. Screws are fine too, of course.

    – Adonalsium
    Apr 25 at 18:58













  • @vini_i My house was flipped three years ago and they used nails... which are popping out and very noticeable now. A few have broken through the paint...

    – Zach Mierzejewski
    Apr 25 at 22:14











  • @vini_i if the reno work was done by a handy-person then they could be using older techniques. So yes even work done today could involve nailing drywall.

    – Criggie
    Apr 26 at 2:02














7












7








7







It is not common now, it once was.



At one time it was standard practice to use nails. It could be the the structure in the wall that the nail are into is not all that solid so the heads (Pop). I always notice a few popped heads after an earthquake here.



I do not think you need to pull them, Put a screw in next to each one and then gently hammer the nail back into place. The screw should keep the drywall from moving an thus the nail from popping out again. Then you can make your finishing repairs. Of coarse you could pull them if you want.






share|improve this answer













It is not common now, it once was.



At one time it was standard practice to use nails. It could be the the structure in the wall that the nail are into is not all that solid so the heads (Pop). I always notice a few popped heads after an earthquake here.



I do not think you need to pull them, Put a screw in next to each one and then gently hammer the nail back into place. The screw should keep the drywall from moving an thus the nail from popping out again. Then you can make your finishing repairs. Of coarse you could pull them if you want.







share|improve this answer












share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer










answered Apr 25 at 18:25









Alaska ManAlaska Man

4,236412




4,236412













  • The renovation took place in 2008. Is that far enough back to have used nails?

    – vini_i
    Apr 25 at 18:28






  • 1





    Our house was built in 2002 and used nails.

    – BillDOe
    Apr 25 at 18:35











  • I've done renovations in 2017 and used ring shank or pitch coated nails because I am a lazy bastard and nails are faster and easier to judge depth on and I'm weak and can't keep a lot of weight on the back of the drill to drive the screws in properly, sometimes. They're also easier to remove when the next renovation comes around. Screws are fine too, of course.

    – Adonalsium
    Apr 25 at 18:58













  • @vini_i My house was flipped three years ago and they used nails... which are popping out and very noticeable now. A few have broken through the paint...

    – Zach Mierzejewski
    Apr 25 at 22:14











  • @vini_i if the reno work was done by a handy-person then they could be using older techniques. So yes even work done today could involve nailing drywall.

    – Criggie
    Apr 26 at 2:02



















  • The renovation took place in 2008. Is that far enough back to have used nails?

    – vini_i
    Apr 25 at 18:28






  • 1





    Our house was built in 2002 and used nails.

    – BillDOe
    Apr 25 at 18:35











  • I've done renovations in 2017 and used ring shank or pitch coated nails because I am a lazy bastard and nails are faster and easier to judge depth on and I'm weak and can't keep a lot of weight on the back of the drill to drive the screws in properly, sometimes. They're also easier to remove when the next renovation comes around. Screws are fine too, of course.

    – Adonalsium
    Apr 25 at 18:58













  • @vini_i My house was flipped three years ago and they used nails... which are popping out and very noticeable now. A few have broken through the paint...

    – Zach Mierzejewski
    Apr 25 at 22:14











  • @vini_i if the reno work was done by a handy-person then they could be using older techniques. So yes even work done today could involve nailing drywall.

    – Criggie
    Apr 26 at 2:02

















The renovation took place in 2008. Is that far enough back to have used nails?

– vini_i
Apr 25 at 18:28





The renovation took place in 2008. Is that far enough back to have used nails?

– vini_i
Apr 25 at 18:28




1




1





Our house was built in 2002 and used nails.

– BillDOe
Apr 25 at 18:35





Our house was built in 2002 and used nails.

– BillDOe
Apr 25 at 18:35













I've done renovations in 2017 and used ring shank or pitch coated nails because I am a lazy bastard and nails are faster and easier to judge depth on and I'm weak and can't keep a lot of weight on the back of the drill to drive the screws in properly, sometimes. They're also easier to remove when the next renovation comes around. Screws are fine too, of course.

– Adonalsium
Apr 25 at 18:58







I've done renovations in 2017 and used ring shank or pitch coated nails because I am a lazy bastard and nails are faster and easier to judge depth on and I'm weak and can't keep a lot of weight on the back of the drill to drive the screws in properly, sometimes. They're also easier to remove when the next renovation comes around. Screws are fine too, of course.

– Adonalsium
Apr 25 at 18:58















@vini_i My house was flipped three years ago and they used nails... which are popping out and very noticeable now. A few have broken through the paint...

– Zach Mierzejewski
Apr 25 at 22:14





@vini_i My house was flipped three years ago and they used nails... which are popping out and very noticeable now. A few have broken through the paint...

– Zach Mierzejewski
Apr 25 at 22:14













@vini_i if the reno work was done by a handy-person then they could be using older techniques. So yes even work done today could involve nailing drywall.

– Criggie
Apr 26 at 2:02





@vini_i if the reno work was done by a handy-person then they could be using older techniques. So yes even work done today could involve nailing drywall.

– Criggie
Apr 26 at 2:02













9














It was common. Now most drywall is screwed, which leads to much fewer pops.



The usual fix is to screw between the popped nails (and a few more may pop as the board is pulled tight). Then pull and patch the popped nails.






share|improve this answer



















  • 3





    Remember, screw guns have only been widely used since the 80s and even then it was hit and miss.

    – DMoore
    Apr 25 at 18:40






  • 1





    @DMoore - ;-)))

    – Hot Licks
    Apr 25 at 22:43
















9














It was common. Now most drywall is screwed, which leads to much fewer pops.



The usual fix is to screw between the popped nails (and a few more may pop as the board is pulled tight). Then pull and patch the popped nails.






share|improve this answer



















  • 3





    Remember, screw guns have only been widely used since the 80s and even then it was hit and miss.

    – DMoore
    Apr 25 at 18:40






  • 1





    @DMoore - ;-)))

    – Hot Licks
    Apr 25 at 22:43














9












9








9







It was common. Now most drywall is screwed, which leads to much fewer pops.



The usual fix is to screw between the popped nails (and a few more may pop as the board is pulled tight). Then pull and patch the popped nails.






share|improve this answer













It was common. Now most drywall is screwed, which leads to much fewer pops.



The usual fix is to screw between the popped nails (and a few more may pop as the board is pulled tight). Then pull and patch the popped nails.







share|improve this answer












share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer










answered Apr 25 at 18:19









bibbib

31.4k95392




31.4k95392








  • 3





    Remember, screw guns have only been widely used since the 80s and even then it was hit and miss.

    – DMoore
    Apr 25 at 18:40






  • 1





    @DMoore - ;-)))

    – Hot Licks
    Apr 25 at 22:43














  • 3





    Remember, screw guns have only been widely used since the 80s and even then it was hit and miss.

    – DMoore
    Apr 25 at 18:40






  • 1





    @DMoore - ;-)))

    – Hot Licks
    Apr 25 at 22:43








3




3





Remember, screw guns have only been widely used since the 80s and even then it was hit and miss.

– DMoore
Apr 25 at 18:40





Remember, screw guns have only been widely used since the 80s and even then it was hit and miss.

– DMoore
Apr 25 at 18:40




1




1





@DMoore - ;-)))

– Hot Licks
Apr 25 at 22:43





@DMoore - ;-)))

– Hot Licks
Apr 25 at 22:43


















draft saved

draft discarded




















































Thanks for contributing an answer to Home Improvement Stack Exchange!


  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid …



  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.


To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function () {
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fdiy.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f163747%2fnails-holding-drywall%23new-answer', 'question_page');
}
);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown





















































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown

































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown







Popular posts from this blog

Bruad Bilen | Luke uk diar | NawigatsjuunCommonskategorii: BruadCommonskategorii: RunstükenWikiquote: Bruad

Modern approach to radio buttons

A word for worn pool table felt