Is there a word or phrase to describe a job that requires a college degree?





.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty{ margin-bottom:0;
}







1















I'm trying to think of a way to say a person has a job that is (more than likely) only available to the college educated. The idea is to convey a level of success.



The terms I've thought of are:




  • White-collar job - Conveys office work, but seems too broad. This could apply to basic clerical work. Plus, there are some educated positions that might not be "white-collar."

  • Professional position - What I'm leaning towards most. It gives the idea they're working in their field as a "professional."


An example of where it might be used is:




"My son is doing quite well for himself, he has a _________ and is living on his own already."











share|improve this question























  • I’d likeky say, “He has a job using his degree...”

    – Jim
    May 6 at 15:58


















1















I'm trying to think of a way to say a person has a job that is (more than likely) only available to the college educated. The idea is to convey a level of success.



The terms I've thought of are:




  • White-collar job - Conveys office work, but seems too broad. This could apply to basic clerical work. Plus, there are some educated positions that might not be "white-collar."

  • Professional position - What I'm leaning towards most. It gives the idea they're working in their field as a "professional."


An example of where it might be used is:




"My son is doing quite well for himself, he has a _________ and is living on his own already."











share|improve this question























  • I’d likeky say, “He has a job using his degree...”

    – Jim
    May 6 at 15:58














1












1








1








I'm trying to think of a way to say a person has a job that is (more than likely) only available to the college educated. The idea is to convey a level of success.



The terms I've thought of are:




  • White-collar job - Conveys office work, but seems too broad. This could apply to basic clerical work. Plus, there are some educated positions that might not be "white-collar."

  • Professional position - What I'm leaning towards most. It gives the idea they're working in their field as a "professional."


An example of where it might be used is:




"My son is doing quite well for himself, he has a _________ and is living on his own already."











share|improve this question














I'm trying to think of a way to say a person has a job that is (more than likely) only available to the college educated. The idea is to convey a level of success.



The terms I've thought of are:




  • White-collar job - Conveys office work, but seems too broad. This could apply to basic clerical work. Plus, there are some educated positions that might not be "white-collar."

  • Professional position - What I'm leaning towards most. It gives the idea they're working in their field as a "professional."


An example of where it might be used is:




"My son is doing quite well for himself, he has a _________ and is living on his own already."








single-word-requests phrase-requests






share|improve this question













share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked May 6 at 15:00









Kevin MirskyKevin Mirsky

1084




1084













  • I’d likeky say, “He has a job using his degree...”

    – Jim
    May 6 at 15:58



















  • I’d likeky say, “He has a job using his degree...”

    – Jim
    May 6 at 15:58

















I’d likeky say, “He has a job using his degree...”

– Jim
May 6 at 15:58





I’d likeky say, “He has a job using his degree...”

– Jim
May 6 at 15:58










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes


















2














In the context of the sentence, I think "graduate job" would work. Admittedly, it's not a common construction, but it would be clearly understood by everyone and convey precisely what you intend. Beyond that, I think your 'professional position' is good, if a bit more vague and not propping the degree up as much.






share|improve this answer
























    Your Answer








    StackExchange.ready(function() {
    var channelOptions = {
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "97"
    };
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function() {
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled) {
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function() {
    createEditor();
    });
    }
    else {
    createEditor();
    }
    });

    function createEditor() {
    StackExchange.prepareEditor({
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
    convertImagesToLinks: false,
    noModals: true,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: null,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    imageUploader: {
    brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
    contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
    allowUrls: true
    },
    noCode: true, onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    });


    }
    });














    draft saved

    draft discarded


















    StackExchange.ready(
    function () {
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fenglish.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f497422%2fis-there-a-word-or-phrase-to-describe-a-job-that-requires-a-college-degree%23new-answer', 'question_page');
    }
    );

    Post as a guest















    Required, but never shown

























    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes








    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes









    2














    In the context of the sentence, I think "graduate job" would work. Admittedly, it's not a common construction, but it would be clearly understood by everyone and convey precisely what you intend. Beyond that, I think your 'professional position' is good, if a bit more vague and not propping the degree up as much.






    share|improve this answer




























      2














      In the context of the sentence, I think "graduate job" would work. Admittedly, it's not a common construction, but it would be clearly understood by everyone and convey precisely what you intend. Beyond that, I think your 'professional position' is good, if a bit more vague and not propping the degree up as much.






      share|improve this answer


























        2












        2








        2







        In the context of the sentence, I think "graduate job" would work. Admittedly, it's not a common construction, but it would be clearly understood by everyone and convey precisely what you intend. Beyond that, I think your 'professional position' is good, if a bit more vague and not propping the degree up as much.






        share|improve this answer













        In the context of the sentence, I think "graduate job" would work. Admittedly, it's not a common construction, but it would be clearly understood by everyone and convey precisely what you intend. Beyond that, I think your 'professional position' is good, if a bit more vague and not propping the degree up as much.







        share|improve this answer












        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer










        answered May 6 at 15:13









        O. RouleauO. Rouleau

        512




        512






























            draft saved

            draft discarded




















































            Thanks for contributing an answer to English Language & Usage Stack Exchange!


            • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

            But avoid …



            • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

            • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.


            To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




            draft saved


            draft discarded














            StackExchange.ready(
            function () {
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fenglish.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f497422%2fis-there-a-word-or-phrase-to-describe-a-job-that-requires-a-college-degree%23new-answer', 'question_page');
            }
            );

            Post as a guest















            Required, but never shown





















































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown

































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown







            Popular posts from this blog

            Bruad Bilen | Luke uk diar | NawigatsjuunCommonskategorii: BruadCommonskategorii: RunstükenWikiquote: Bruad

            Modern approach to radio buttons

            A word for worn pool table felt