Transformation of random variables and joint distributions












6












$begingroup$


Given a variable $y_i$, normally distributed with 0 mean and $σ_y$ standard deviation



$y_i$ ~ NormalDistribution[0,$σ_y$ ]



I want to obtain with Mathematica:




  1. The distribution of:
    $x = bar{y} = frac {sum_{i=1}^ny_i}{n}$


  2. The joint distribution of $ (x,y_i )$











share|improve this question









New contributor




Andrea2810 is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.







$endgroup$








  • 5




    $begingroup$
    What have you tried? For example, have you seen the documentation on TransformedDistribution and ProbabilityDistribution?
    $endgroup$
    – JimB
    yesterday










  • $begingroup$
    @JimB . I tried this TransformedDistribution[Sum[y, {i, n}]/n, y [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]y]]. The result is NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]y]. However, the correct result should be NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]y / Sqrt[n]]
    $endgroup$
    – Andrea2810
    yesterday








  • 1




    $begingroup$
    You need to "index" the variable y or else Mathematica thinks it is a single variable.
    $endgroup$
    – JimB
    yesterday
















6












$begingroup$


Given a variable $y_i$, normally distributed with 0 mean and $σ_y$ standard deviation



$y_i$ ~ NormalDistribution[0,$σ_y$ ]



I want to obtain with Mathematica:




  1. The distribution of:
    $x = bar{y} = frac {sum_{i=1}^ny_i}{n}$


  2. The joint distribution of $ (x,y_i )$











share|improve this question









New contributor




Andrea2810 is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.







$endgroup$








  • 5




    $begingroup$
    What have you tried? For example, have you seen the documentation on TransformedDistribution and ProbabilityDistribution?
    $endgroup$
    – JimB
    yesterday










  • $begingroup$
    @JimB . I tried this TransformedDistribution[Sum[y, {i, n}]/n, y [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]y]]. The result is NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]y]. However, the correct result should be NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]y / Sqrt[n]]
    $endgroup$
    – Andrea2810
    yesterday








  • 1




    $begingroup$
    You need to "index" the variable y or else Mathematica thinks it is a single variable.
    $endgroup$
    – JimB
    yesterday














6












6








6


2



$begingroup$


Given a variable $y_i$, normally distributed with 0 mean and $σ_y$ standard deviation



$y_i$ ~ NormalDistribution[0,$σ_y$ ]



I want to obtain with Mathematica:




  1. The distribution of:
    $x = bar{y} = frac {sum_{i=1}^ny_i}{n}$


  2. The joint distribution of $ (x,y_i )$











share|improve this question









New contributor




Andrea2810 is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.







$endgroup$




Given a variable $y_i$, normally distributed with 0 mean and $σ_y$ standard deviation



$y_i$ ~ NormalDistribution[0,$σ_y$ ]



I want to obtain with Mathematica:




  1. The distribution of:
    $x = bar{y} = frac {sum_{i=1}^ny_i}{n}$


  2. The joint distribution of $ (x,y_i )$








probability-or-statistics distributions






share|improve this question









New contributor




Andrea2810 is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.











share|improve this question









New contributor




Andrea2810 is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.









share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited 21 hours ago









J. M. is slightly pensive♦

98.5k10308466




98.5k10308466






New contributor




Andrea2810 is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.









asked yesterday









Andrea2810Andrea2810

334




334




New contributor




Andrea2810 is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.





New contributor





Andrea2810 is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.






Andrea2810 is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.








  • 5




    $begingroup$
    What have you tried? For example, have you seen the documentation on TransformedDistribution and ProbabilityDistribution?
    $endgroup$
    – JimB
    yesterday










  • $begingroup$
    @JimB . I tried this TransformedDistribution[Sum[y, {i, n}]/n, y [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]y]]. The result is NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]y]. However, the correct result should be NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]y / Sqrt[n]]
    $endgroup$
    – Andrea2810
    yesterday








  • 1




    $begingroup$
    You need to "index" the variable y or else Mathematica thinks it is a single variable.
    $endgroup$
    – JimB
    yesterday














  • 5




    $begingroup$
    What have you tried? For example, have you seen the documentation on TransformedDistribution and ProbabilityDistribution?
    $endgroup$
    – JimB
    yesterday










  • $begingroup$
    @JimB . I tried this TransformedDistribution[Sum[y, {i, n}]/n, y [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]y]]. The result is NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]y]. However, the correct result should be NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]y / Sqrt[n]]
    $endgroup$
    – Andrea2810
    yesterday








  • 1




    $begingroup$
    You need to "index" the variable y or else Mathematica thinks it is a single variable.
    $endgroup$
    – JimB
    yesterday








5




5




$begingroup$
What have you tried? For example, have you seen the documentation on TransformedDistribution and ProbabilityDistribution?
$endgroup$
– JimB
yesterday




$begingroup$
What have you tried? For example, have you seen the documentation on TransformedDistribution and ProbabilityDistribution?
$endgroup$
– JimB
yesterday












$begingroup$
@JimB . I tried this TransformedDistribution[Sum[y, {i, n}]/n, y [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]y]]. The result is NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]y]. However, the correct result should be NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]y / Sqrt[n]]
$endgroup$
– Andrea2810
yesterday






$begingroup$
@JimB . I tried this TransformedDistribution[Sum[y, {i, n}]/n, y [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]y]]. The result is NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]y]. However, the correct result should be NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]y / Sqrt[n]]
$endgroup$
– Andrea2810
yesterday






1




1




$begingroup$
You need to "index" the variable y or else Mathematica thinks it is a single variable.
$endgroup$
– JimB
yesterday




$begingroup$
You need to "index" the variable y or else Mathematica thinks it is a single variable.
$endgroup$
– JimB
yesterday










3 Answers
3






active

oldest

votes


















9












$begingroup$

I don't know how to get Mathematica to get the joint distribution explicitly for a general value of $n$ but here is how one can easily see the pattern to figure out the general solution.



First the distribution of the mean:



marginalDistribution = TransformedDistribution[Sum[y[i], {i, n}]/n, 
Table[y[i] [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]], {i, n}],
Assumptions -> [Sigma] > 0]
{#, marginalDistribution/.n->#} &/@Range[2,10]


$$
begin{array}{cc}
2 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{sqrt{2}}right] \
3 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{sqrt{3}}right] \
4 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{2}right] \
5 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{sqrt{5}}right] \
6 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{sqrt{6}}right] \
7 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{sqrt{7}}right] \
8 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{2 sqrt{2}}right] \
9 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{3}right] \
10 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{sqrt{10}}right] \
end{array}
$$



So we see that the marginal distribution of $bar{y}$ is



NormalDistribution[0, σ/Sqrt[n]]


The joint distribution of $bar{y}$ and, say, $y_1$ is given by



jointDistribution = TransformedDistribution[{y[1], Sum[y[i], {i, n}]/n}, 
Table[y[i] [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]], {i, n}]]
{#, jointDistribution /. n -> #} & /@ Range[2, 10] // TableForm


$$
begin{array}{cc}
2 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{2} \
frac{sigma ^2}{2} & frac{sigma ^2}{2} \
end{array}
right)right] \
3 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{3} \
frac{sigma ^2}{3} & frac{sigma ^2}{3} \
end{array}
right)right] \
4 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{4} \
frac{sigma ^2}{4} & frac{sigma ^2}{4} \
end{array}
right)right] \
5 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{5} \
frac{sigma ^2}{5} & frac{sigma ^2}{5} \
end{array}
right)right] \
6 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{6} \
frac{sigma ^2}{6} & frac{sigma ^2}{6} \
end{array}
right)right] \
7 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{7} \
frac{sigma ^2}{7} & frac{sigma ^2}{7} \
end{array}
right)right] \
8 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{8} \
frac{sigma ^2}{8} & frac{sigma ^2}{8} \
end{array}
right)right] \
9 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{9} \
frac{sigma ^2}{9} & frac{sigma ^2}{9} \
end{array}
right)right] \
10 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{10} \
frac{sigma ^2}{10} & frac{sigma ^2}{10} \
end{array}
right)right] \
end{array}
$$



So the general distribution is a multivariate normal



MultinormalDistribution[{0, 0}, {{σ^2, σ^2/n}, {σ^2/n, σ^2/n}}]


The general form of the joint density function can then be found with



FullSimplify[PDF[MultinormalDistribution[{0, 0}, {{σ^2, σ^2/n}, {σ^2/n, σ^2/n}}], {y, ybar}],
Assumptions -> {σ > 0, n > 1}]


$$frac{n e^{-frac{n left(n text{ybar}^2+y^2-2 y text{ybar}right)}{2 (n-1) sigma ^2}}}{2 pi sqrt{n-1} sigma ^2}$$






share|improve this answer











$endgroup$













  • $begingroup$
    Anyway, I like your answer! I'll have to look at it to understand (not obvious (to me) that this would be the solution).
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday












  • $begingroup$
    @mjw Good. Answers should always be scrutinized and challenged if desired.
    $endgroup$
    – JimB
    yesterday












  • $begingroup$
    Nice! In addition to trying to understand the technique, I checked the marginal integrals. Looks great!
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday



















1












$begingroup$

Here is the distribution of $x=overline{y}$ (Part I of your question):



a[n_] := Table[y[k] [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]], {k, 1, n}]; 
p[n_] := TransformedDistribution[Sum[y[k]/n, {k, n}], a[n]];


Now



x [Distributed] p[5] (* n=5, for example *)


The result is



x [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, Abs[[Sigma]]/Sqrt[5]]





share|improve this answer











$endgroup$













  • $begingroup$
    I am not sure, but shouldn't be n instead of 5 here TransformedDistribution[Sum[y[k]/n, {k, 5}], a] ? And what if I want to leave n, without assigning a value to n? Thanks @mjw
    $endgroup$
    – Andrea2810
    yesterday












  • $begingroup$
    Oh yes, you are right! I started with 10 and changed to five as I was trying it out. I'll fix it ... Thanks!
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday












  • $begingroup$
    Let's go with five because it is clearer. The result is NormalDistribution[0,[Sigma]/Sqrt[5]]. Not sure why Mathematica puts Abs around $sigma$. Obviously, $sigma>0$.
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday










  • $begingroup$
    Yes, sure it is clearer. Do you have any idea of how can I use n as a parameter, without assigning a value to n?
    $endgroup$
    – Andrea2810
    yesterday










  • $begingroup$
    a[n_] = Table[y[k] [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]], {k, 1, n}];
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday





















0












$begingroup$

just modified @mjw's answer,



n = 100;(*for example*)ClearAll[y]; 
a = Table[y[k] [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]], {k, 1, n}];
meanDist = TransformedDistribution[Sum[y[k]/100, {k, 100}], a]


JointDistribution can be composed by ProductDistribution,
if these random variables are independent.

if not,you have to use Copula



joint = ProductDistribution[meanDist, 
Last@*List @@ Part[a, 1]] /. [Sigma] -> 1;
RandomVariate[joint, 100] // Histogram3D


enter image description here



joint = ProductDistribution[meanDist, 
Last@*List @@ Part[a, 1]] /. [Sigma] -> 1;
m1 = RandomVariate[meanDist /. [Sigma] -> 1, {100000}];
m2 = RandomVariate[
Last@*List @@ Part[a, 1] /. [Sigma] -> 1, {100000}];
Correlation[Thread[List[m1, m2]]]
ListPlot[Thread[List[m1, m2]]]


=>



{{1., -0.00256777}, {-0.00256777, 1.}}


enter image description here

I'm not sure about correlation,but it's okay.






share|improve this answer











$endgroup$













  • $begingroup$
    I believe that the distributions are not independent. Since $overline{x}$ is computed from $y_i$ and other $y_j$'s, it would seem to be dependent. We could compute whether or not the distributions are dependent ...
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday










  • $begingroup$
    I would also recommend using 10^6 rather than 100, you'll get a sharper plot!
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday










  • $begingroup$
    Exactly, the two variables are not independent unfortunately
    $endgroup$
    – Andrea2810
    yesterday











Your Answer





StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function () {
return StackExchange.using("mathjaxEditing", function () {
StackExchange.MarkdownEditor.creationCallbacks.add(function (editor, postfix) {
StackExchange.mathjaxEditing.prepareWmdForMathJax(editor, postfix, [["$", "$"], ["\\(","\\)"]]);
});
});
}, "mathjax-editing");

StackExchange.ready(function() {
var channelOptions = {
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "387"
};
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function() {
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled) {
StackExchange.using("snippets", function() {
createEditor();
});
}
else {
createEditor();
}
});

function createEditor() {
StackExchange.prepareEditor({
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: false,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: null,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader: {
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
},
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
});


}
});






Andrea2810 is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.










draft saved

draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function () {
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fmathematica.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f193876%2ftransformation-of-random-variables-and-joint-distributions%23new-answer', 'question_page');
}
);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown

























3 Answers
3






active

oldest

votes








3 Answers
3






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes









9












$begingroup$

I don't know how to get Mathematica to get the joint distribution explicitly for a general value of $n$ but here is how one can easily see the pattern to figure out the general solution.



First the distribution of the mean:



marginalDistribution = TransformedDistribution[Sum[y[i], {i, n}]/n, 
Table[y[i] [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]], {i, n}],
Assumptions -> [Sigma] > 0]
{#, marginalDistribution/.n->#} &/@Range[2,10]


$$
begin{array}{cc}
2 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{sqrt{2}}right] \
3 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{sqrt{3}}right] \
4 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{2}right] \
5 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{sqrt{5}}right] \
6 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{sqrt{6}}right] \
7 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{sqrt{7}}right] \
8 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{2 sqrt{2}}right] \
9 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{3}right] \
10 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{sqrt{10}}right] \
end{array}
$$



So we see that the marginal distribution of $bar{y}$ is



NormalDistribution[0, σ/Sqrt[n]]


The joint distribution of $bar{y}$ and, say, $y_1$ is given by



jointDistribution = TransformedDistribution[{y[1], Sum[y[i], {i, n}]/n}, 
Table[y[i] [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]], {i, n}]]
{#, jointDistribution /. n -> #} & /@ Range[2, 10] // TableForm


$$
begin{array}{cc}
2 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{2} \
frac{sigma ^2}{2} & frac{sigma ^2}{2} \
end{array}
right)right] \
3 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{3} \
frac{sigma ^2}{3} & frac{sigma ^2}{3} \
end{array}
right)right] \
4 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{4} \
frac{sigma ^2}{4} & frac{sigma ^2}{4} \
end{array}
right)right] \
5 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{5} \
frac{sigma ^2}{5} & frac{sigma ^2}{5} \
end{array}
right)right] \
6 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{6} \
frac{sigma ^2}{6} & frac{sigma ^2}{6} \
end{array}
right)right] \
7 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{7} \
frac{sigma ^2}{7} & frac{sigma ^2}{7} \
end{array}
right)right] \
8 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{8} \
frac{sigma ^2}{8} & frac{sigma ^2}{8} \
end{array}
right)right] \
9 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{9} \
frac{sigma ^2}{9} & frac{sigma ^2}{9} \
end{array}
right)right] \
10 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{10} \
frac{sigma ^2}{10} & frac{sigma ^2}{10} \
end{array}
right)right] \
end{array}
$$



So the general distribution is a multivariate normal



MultinormalDistribution[{0, 0}, {{σ^2, σ^2/n}, {σ^2/n, σ^2/n}}]


The general form of the joint density function can then be found with



FullSimplify[PDF[MultinormalDistribution[{0, 0}, {{σ^2, σ^2/n}, {σ^2/n, σ^2/n}}], {y, ybar}],
Assumptions -> {σ > 0, n > 1}]


$$frac{n e^{-frac{n left(n text{ybar}^2+y^2-2 y text{ybar}right)}{2 (n-1) sigma ^2}}}{2 pi sqrt{n-1} sigma ^2}$$






share|improve this answer











$endgroup$













  • $begingroup$
    Anyway, I like your answer! I'll have to look at it to understand (not obvious (to me) that this would be the solution).
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday












  • $begingroup$
    @mjw Good. Answers should always be scrutinized and challenged if desired.
    $endgroup$
    – JimB
    yesterday












  • $begingroup$
    Nice! In addition to trying to understand the technique, I checked the marginal integrals. Looks great!
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday
















9












$begingroup$

I don't know how to get Mathematica to get the joint distribution explicitly for a general value of $n$ but here is how one can easily see the pattern to figure out the general solution.



First the distribution of the mean:



marginalDistribution = TransformedDistribution[Sum[y[i], {i, n}]/n, 
Table[y[i] [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]], {i, n}],
Assumptions -> [Sigma] > 0]
{#, marginalDistribution/.n->#} &/@Range[2,10]


$$
begin{array}{cc}
2 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{sqrt{2}}right] \
3 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{sqrt{3}}right] \
4 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{2}right] \
5 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{sqrt{5}}right] \
6 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{sqrt{6}}right] \
7 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{sqrt{7}}right] \
8 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{2 sqrt{2}}right] \
9 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{3}right] \
10 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{sqrt{10}}right] \
end{array}
$$



So we see that the marginal distribution of $bar{y}$ is



NormalDistribution[0, σ/Sqrt[n]]


The joint distribution of $bar{y}$ and, say, $y_1$ is given by



jointDistribution = TransformedDistribution[{y[1], Sum[y[i], {i, n}]/n}, 
Table[y[i] [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]], {i, n}]]
{#, jointDistribution /. n -> #} & /@ Range[2, 10] // TableForm


$$
begin{array}{cc}
2 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{2} \
frac{sigma ^2}{2} & frac{sigma ^2}{2} \
end{array}
right)right] \
3 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{3} \
frac{sigma ^2}{3} & frac{sigma ^2}{3} \
end{array}
right)right] \
4 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{4} \
frac{sigma ^2}{4} & frac{sigma ^2}{4} \
end{array}
right)right] \
5 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{5} \
frac{sigma ^2}{5} & frac{sigma ^2}{5} \
end{array}
right)right] \
6 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{6} \
frac{sigma ^2}{6} & frac{sigma ^2}{6} \
end{array}
right)right] \
7 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{7} \
frac{sigma ^2}{7} & frac{sigma ^2}{7} \
end{array}
right)right] \
8 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{8} \
frac{sigma ^2}{8} & frac{sigma ^2}{8} \
end{array}
right)right] \
9 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{9} \
frac{sigma ^2}{9} & frac{sigma ^2}{9} \
end{array}
right)right] \
10 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{10} \
frac{sigma ^2}{10} & frac{sigma ^2}{10} \
end{array}
right)right] \
end{array}
$$



So the general distribution is a multivariate normal



MultinormalDistribution[{0, 0}, {{σ^2, σ^2/n}, {σ^2/n, σ^2/n}}]


The general form of the joint density function can then be found with



FullSimplify[PDF[MultinormalDistribution[{0, 0}, {{σ^2, σ^2/n}, {σ^2/n, σ^2/n}}], {y, ybar}],
Assumptions -> {σ > 0, n > 1}]


$$frac{n e^{-frac{n left(n text{ybar}^2+y^2-2 y text{ybar}right)}{2 (n-1) sigma ^2}}}{2 pi sqrt{n-1} sigma ^2}$$






share|improve this answer











$endgroup$













  • $begingroup$
    Anyway, I like your answer! I'll have to look at it to understand (not obvious (to me) that this would be the solution).
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday












  • $begingroup$
    @mjw Good. Answers should always be scrutinized and challenged if desired.
    $endgroup$
    – JimB
    yesterday












  • $begingroup$
    Nice! In addition to trying to understand the technique, I checked the marginal integrals. Looks great!
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday














9












9








9





$begingroup$

I don't know how to get Mathematica to get the joint distribution explicitly for a general value of $n$ but here is how one can easily see the pattern to figure out the general solution.



First the distribution of the mean:



marginalDistribution = TransformedDistribution[Sum[y[i], {i, n}]/n, 
Table[y[i] [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]], {i, n}],
Assumptions -> [Sigma] > 0]
{#, marginalDistribution/.n->#} &/@Range[2,10]


$$
begin{array}{cc}
2 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{sqrt{2}}right] \
3 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{sqrt{3}}right] \
4 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{2}right] \
5 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{sqrt{5}}right] \
6 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{sqrt{6}}right] \
7 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{sqrt{7}}right] \
8 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{2 sqrt{2}}right] \
9 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{3}right] \
10 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{sqrt{10}}right] \
end{array}
$$



So we see that the marginal distribution of $bar{y}$ is



NormalDistribution[0, σ/Sqrt[n]]


The joint distribution of $bar{y}$ and, say, $y_1$ is given by



jointDistribution = TransformedDistribution[{y[1], Sum[y[i], {i, n}]/n}, 
Table[y[i] [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]], {i, n}]]
{#, jointDistribution /. n -> #} & /@ Range[2, 10] // TableForm


$$
begin{array}{cc}
2 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{2} \
frac{sigma ^2}{2} & frac{sigma ^2}{2} \
end{array}
right)right] \
3 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{3} \
frac{sigma ^2}{3} & frac{sigma ^2}{3} \
end{array}
right)right] \
4 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{4} \
frac{sigma ^2}{4} & frac{sigma ^2}{4} \
end{array}
right)right] \
5 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{5} \
frac{sigma ^2}{5} & frac{sigma ^2}{5} \
end{array}
right)right] \
6 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{6} \
frac{sigma ^2}{6} & frac{sigma ^2}{6} \
end{array}
right)right] \
7 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{7} \
frac{sigma ^2}{7} & frac{sigma ^2}{7} \
end{array}
right)right] \
8 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{8} \
frac{sigma ^2}{8} & frac{sigma ^2}{8} \
end{array}
right)right] \
9 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{9} \
frac{sigma ^2}{9} & frac{sigma ^2}{9} \
end{array}
right)right] \
10 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{10} \
frac{sigma ^2}{10} & frac{sigma ^2}{10} \
end{array}
right)right] \
end{array}
$$



So the general distribution is a multivariate normal



MultinormalDistribution[{0, 0}, {{σ^2, σ^2/n}, {σ^2/n, σ^2/n}}]


The general form of the joint density function can then be found with



FullSimplify[PDF[MultinormalDistribution[{0, 0}, {{σ^2, σ^2/n}, {σ^2/n, σ^2/n}}], {y, ybar}],
Assumptions -> {σ > 0, n > 1}]


$$frac{n e^{-frac{n left(n text{ybar}^2+y^2-2 y text{ybar}right)}{2 (n-1) sigma ^2}}}{2 pi sqrt{n-1} sigma ^2}$$






share|improve this answer











$endgroup$



I don't know how to get Mathematica to get the joint distribution explicitly for a general value of $n$ but here is how one can easily see the pattern to figure out the general solution.



First the distribution of the mean:



marginalDistribution = TransformedDistribution[Sum[y[i], {i, n}]/n, 
Table[y[i] [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]], {i, n}],
Assumptions -> [Sigma] > 0]
{#, marginalDistribution/.n->#} &/@Range[2,10]


$$
begin{array}{cc}
2 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{sqrt{2}}right] \
3 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{sqrt{3}}right] \
4 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{2}right] \
5 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{sqrt{5}}right] \
6 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{sqrt{6}}right] \
7 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{sqrt{7}}right] \
8 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{2 sqrt{2}}right] \
9 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{3}right] \
10 & text{NormalDistribution}left[0,frac{sigma }{sqrt{10}}right] \
end{array}
$$



So we see that the marginal distribution of $bar{y}$ is



NormalDistribution[0, σ/Sqrt[n]]


The joint distribution of $bar{y}$ and, say, $y_1$ is given by



jointDistribution = TransformedDistribution[{y[1], Sum[y[i], {i, n}]/n}, 
Table[y[i] [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]], {i, n}]]
{#, jointDistribution /. n -> #} & /@ Range[2, 10] // TableForm


$$
begin{array}{cc}
2 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{2} \
frac{sigma ^2}{2} & frac{sigma ^2}{2} \
end{array}
right)right] \
3 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{3} \
frac{sigma ^2}{3} & frac{sigma ^2}{3} \
end{array}
right)right] \
4 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{4} \
frac{sigma ^2}{4} & frac{sigma ^2}{4} \
end{array}
right)right] \
5 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{5} \
frac{sigma ^2}{5} & frac{sigma ^2}{5} \
end{array}
right)right] \
6 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{6} \
frac{sigma ^2}{6} & frac{sigma ^2}{6} \
end{array}
right)right] \
7 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{7} \
frac{sigma ^2}{7} & frac{sigma ^2}{7} \
end{array}
right)right] \
8 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{8} \
frac{sigma ^2}{8} & frac{sigma ^2}{8} \
end{array}
right)right] \
9 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{9} \
frac{sigma ^2}{9} & frac{sigma ^2}{9} \
end{array}
right)right] \
10 & text{MultinormalDistribution}left[{0,0},left(
begin{array}{cc}
sigma ^2 & frac{sigma ^2}{10} \
frac{sigma ^2}{10} & frac{sigma ^2}{10} \
end{array}
right)right] \
end{array}
$$



So the general distribution is a multivariate normal



MultinormalDistribution[{0, 0}, {{σ^2, σ^2/n}, {σ^2/n, σ^2/n}}]


The general form of the joint density function can then be found with



FullSimplify[PDF[MultinormalDistribution[{0, 0}, {{σ^2, σ^2/n}, {σ^2/n, σ^2/n}}], {y, ybar}],
Assumptions -> {σ > 0, n > 1}]


$$frac{n e^{-frac{n left(n text{ybar}^2+y^2-2 y text{ybar}right)}{2 (n-1) sigma ^2}}}{2 pi sqrt{n-1} sigma ^2}$$







share|improve this answer














share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer








edited yesterday

























answered yesterday









JimBJimB

18.2k12863




18.2k12863












  • $begingroup$
    Anyway, I like your answer! I'll have to look at it to understand (not obvious (to me) that this would be the solution).
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday












  • $begingroup$
    @mjw Good. Answers should always be scrutinized and challenged if desired.
    $endgroup$
    – JimB
    yesterday












  • $begingroup$
    Nice! In addition to trying to understand the technique, I checked the marginal integrals. Looks great!
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday


















  • $begingroup$
    Anyway, I like your answer! I'll have to look at it to understand (not obvious (to me) that this would be the solution).
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday












  • $begingroup$
    @mjw Good. Answers should always be scrutinized and challenged if desired.
    $endgroup$
    – JimB
    yesterday












  • $begingroup$
    Nice! In addition to trying to understand the technique, I checked the marginal integrals. Looks great!
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday
















$begingroup$
Anyway, I like your answer! I'll have to look at it to understand (not obvious (to me) that this would be the solution).
$endgroup$
– mjw
yesterday






$begingroup$
Anyway, I like your answer! I'll have to look at it to understand (not obvious (to me) that this would be the solution).
$endgroup$
– mjw
yesterday














$begingroup$
@mjw Good. Answers should always be scrutinized and challenged if desired.
$endgroup$
– JimB
yesterday






$begingroup$
@mjw Good. Answers should always be scrutinized and challenged if desired.
$endgroup$
– JimB
yesterday














$begingroup$
Nice! In addition to trying to understand the technique, I checked the marginal integrals. Looks great!
$endgroup$
– mjw
yesterday




$begingroup$
Nice! In addition to trying to understand the technique, I checked the marginal integrals. Looks great!
$endgroup$
– mjw
yesterday











1












$begingroup$

Here is the distribution of $x=overline{y}$ (Part I of your question):



a[n_] := Table[y[k] [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]], {k, 1, n}]; 
p[n_] := TransformedDistribution[Sum[y[k]/n, {k, n}], a[n]];


Now



x [Distributed] p[5] (* n=5, for example *)


The result is



x [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, Abs[[Sigma]]/Sqrt[5]]





share|improve this answer











$endgroup$













  • $begingroup$
    I am not sure, but shouldn't be n instead of 5 here TransformedDistribution[Sum[y[k]/n, {k, 5}], a] ? And what if I want to leave n, without assigning a value to n? Thanks @mjw
    $endgroup$
    – Andrea2810
    yesterday












  • $begingroup$
    Oh yes, you are right! I started with 10 and changed to five as I was trying it out. I'll fix it ... Thanks!
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday












  • $begingroup$
    Let's go with five because it is clearer. The result is NormalDistribution[0,[Sigma]/Sqrt[5]]. Not sure why Mathematica puts Abs around $sigma$. Obviously, $sigma>0$.
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday










  • $begingroup$
    Yes, sure it is clearer. Do you have any idea of how can I use n as a parameter, without assigning a value to n?
    $endgroup$
    – Andrea2810
    yesterday










  • $begingroup$
    a[n_] = Table[y[k] [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]], {k, 1, n}];
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday


















1












$begingroup$

Here is the distribution of $x=overline{y}$ (Part I of your question):



a[n_] := Table[y[k] [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]], {k, 1, n}]; 
p[n_] := TransformedDistribution[Sum[y[k]/n, {k, n}], a[n]];


Now



x [Distributed] p[5] (* n=5, for example *)


The result is



x [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, Abs[[Sigma]]/Sqrt[5]]





share|improve this answer











$endgroup$













  • $begingroup$
    I am not sure, but shouldn't be n instead of 5 here TransformedDistribution[Sum[y[k]/n, {k, 5}], a] ? And what if I want to leave n, without assigning a value to n? Thanks @mjw
    $endgroup$
    – Andrea2810
    yesterday












  • $begingroup$
    Oh yes, you are right! I started with 10 and changed to five as I was trying it out. I'll fix it ... Thanks!
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday












  • $begingroup$
    Let's go with five because it is clearer. The result is NormalDistribution[0,[Sigma]/Sqrt[5]]. Not sure why Mathematica puts Abs around $sigma$. Obviously, $sigma>0$.
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday










  • $begingroup$
    Yes, sure it is clearer. Do you have any idea of how can I use n as a parameter, without assigning a value to n?
    $endgroup$
    – Andrea2810
    yesterday










  • $begingroup$
    a[n_] = Table[y[k] [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]], {k, 1, n}];
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday
















1












1








1





$begingroup$

Here is the distribution of $x=overline{y}$ (Part I of your question):



a[n_] := Table[y[k] [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]], {k, 1, n}]; 
p[n_] := TransformedDistribution[Sum[y[k]/n, {k, n}], a[n]];


Now



x [Distributed] p[5] (* n=5, for example *)


The result is



x [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, Abs[[Sigma]]/Sqrt[5]]





share|improve this answer











$endgroup$



Here is the distribution of $x=overline{y}$ (Part I of your question):



a[n_] := Table[y[k] [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]], {k, 1, n}]; 
p[n_] := TransformedDistribution[Sum[y[k]/n, {k, n}], a[n]];


Now



x [Distributed] p[5] (* n=5, for example *)


The result is



x [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, Abs[[Sigma]]/Sqrt[5]]






share|improve this answer














share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer








edited yesterday

























answered yesterday









mjwmjw

1,02510




1,02510












  • $begingroup$
    I am not sure, but shouldn't be n instead of 5 here TransformedDistribution[Sum[y[k]/n, {k, 5}], a] ? And what if I want to leave n, without assigning a value to n? Thanks @mjw
    $endgroup$
    – Andrea2810
    yesterday












  • $begingroup$
    Oh yes, you are right! I started with 10 and changed to five as I was trying it out. I'll fix it ... Thanks!
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday












  • $begingroup$
    Let's go with five because it is clearer. The result is NormalDistribution[0,[Sigma]/Sqrt[5]]. Not sure why Mathematica puts Abs around $sigma$. Obviously, $sigma>0$.
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday










  • $begingroup$
    Yes, sure it is clearer. Do you have any idea of how can I use n as a parameter, without assigning a value to n?
    $endgroup$
    – Andrea2810
    yesterday










  • $begingroup$
    a[n_] = Table[y[k] [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]], {k, 1, n}];
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday




















  • $begingroup$
    I am not sure, but shouldn't be n instead of 5 here TransformedDistribution[Sum[y[k]/n, {k, 5}], a] ? And what if I want to leave n, without assigning a value to n? Thanks @mjw
    $endgroup$
    – Andrea2810
    yesterday












  • $begingroup$
    Oh yes, you are right! I started with 10 and changed to five as I was trying it out. I'll fix it ... Thanks!
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday












  • $begingroup$
    Let's go with five because it is clearer. The result is NormalDistribution[0,[Sigma]/Sqrt[5]]. Not sure why Mathematica puts Abs around $sigma$. Obviously, $sigma>0$.
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday










  • $begingroup$
    Yes, sure it is clearer. Do you have any idea of how can I use n as a parameter, without assigning a value to n?
    $endgroup$
    – Andrea2810
    yesterday










  • $begingroup$
    a[n_] = Table[y[k] [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]], {k, 1, n}];
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday


















$begingroup$
I am not sure, but shouldn't be n instead of 5 here TransformedDistribution[Sum[y[k]/n, {k, 5}], a] ? And what if I want to leave n, without assigning a value to n? Thanks @mjw
$endgroup$
– Andrea2810
yesterday






$begingroup$
I am not sure, but shouldn't be n instead of 5 here TransformedDistribution[Sum[y[k]/n, {k, 5}], a] ? And what if I want to leave n, without assigning a value to n? Thanks @mjw
$endgroup$
– Andrea2810
yesterday














$begingroup$
Oh yes, you are right! I started with 10 and changed to five as I was trying it out. I'll fix it ... Thanks!
$endgroup$
– mjw
yesterday






$begingroup$
Oh yes, you are right! I started with 10 and changed to five as I was trying it out. I'll fix it ... Thanks!
$endgroup$
– mjw
yesterday














$begingroup$
Let's go with five because it is clearer. The result is NormalDistribution[0,[Sigma]/Sqrt[5]]. Not sure why Mathematica puts Abs around $sigma$. Obviously, $sigma>0$.
$endgroup$
– mjw
yesterday




$begingroup$
Let's go with five because it is clearer. The result is NormalDistribution[0,[Sigma]/Sqrt[5]]. Not sure why Mathematica puts Abs around $sigma$. Obviously, $sigma>0$.
$endgroup$
– mjw
yesterday












$begingroup$
Yes, sure it is clearer. Do you have any idea of how can I use n as a parameter, without assigning a value to n?
$endgroup$
– Andrea2810
yesterday




$begingroup$
Yes, sure it is clearer. Do you have any idea of how can I use n as a parameter, without assigning a value to n?
$endgroup$
– Andrea2810
yesterday












$begingroup$
a[n_] = Table[y[k] [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]], {k, 1, n}];
$endgroup$
– mjw
yesterday






$begingroup$
a[n_] = Table[y[k] [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]], {k, 1, n}];
$endgroup$
– mjw
yesterday













0












$begingroup$

just modified @mjw's answer,



n = 100;(*for example*)ClearAll[y]; 
a = Table[y[k] [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]], {k, 1, n}];
meanDist = TransformedDistribution[Sum[y[k]/100, {k, 100}], a]


JointDistribution can be composed by ProductDistribution,
if these random variables are independent.

if not,you have to use Copula



joint = ProductDistribution[meanDist, 
Last@*List @@ Part[a, 1]] /. [Sigma] -> 1;
RandomVariate[joint, 100] // Histogram3D


enter image description here



joint = ProductDistribution[meanDist, 
Last@*List @@ Part[a, 1]] /. [Sigma] -> 1;
m1 = RandomVariate[meanDist /. [Sigma] -> 1, {100000}];
m2 = RandomVariate[
Last@*List @@ Part[a, 1] /. [Sigma] -> 1, {100000}];
Correlation[Thread[List[m1, m2]]]
ListPlot[Thread[List[m1, m2]]]


=>



{{1., -0.00256777}, {-0.00256777, 1.}}


enter image description here

I'm not sure about correlation,but it's okay.






share|improve this answer











$endgroup$













  • $begingroup$
    I believe that the distributions are not independent. Since $overline{x}$ is computed from $y_i$ and other $y_j$'s, it would seem to be dependent. We could compute whether or not the distributions are dependent ...
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday










  • $begingroup$
    I would also recommend using 10^6 rather than 100, you'll get a sharper plot!
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday










  • $begingroup$
    Exactly, the two variables are not independent unfortunately
    $endgroup$
    – Andrea2810
    yesterday
















0












$begingroup$

just modified @mjw's answer,



n = 100;(*for example*)ClearAll[y]; 
a = Table[y[k] [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]], {k, 1, n}];
meanDist = TransformedDistribution[Sum[y[k]/100, {k, 100}], a]


JointDistribution can be composed by ProductDistribution,
if these random variables are independent.

if not,you have to use Copula



joint = ProductDistribution[meanDist, 
Last@*List @@ Part[a, 1]] /. [Sigma] -> 1;
RandomVariate[joint, 100] // Histogram3D


enter image description here



joint = ProductDistribution[meanDist, 
Last@*List @@ Part[a, 1]] /. [Sigma] -> 1;
m1 = RandomVariate[meanDist /. [Sigma] -> 1, {100000}];
m2 = RandomVariate[
Last@*List @@ Part[a, 1] /. [Sigma] -> 1, {100000}];
Correlation[Thread[List[m1, m2]]]
ListPlot[Thread[List[m1, m2]]]


=>



{{1., -0.00256777}, {-0.00256777, 1.}}


enter image description here

I'm not sure about correlation,but it's okay.






share|improve this answer











$endgroup$













  • $begingroup$
    I believe that the distributions are not independent. Since $overline{x}$ is computed from $y_i$ and other $y_j$'s, it would seem to be dependent. We could compute whether or not the distributions are dependent ...
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday










  • $begingroup$
    I would also recommend using 10^6 rather than 100, you'll get a sharper plot!
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday










  • $begingroup$
    Exactly, the two variables are not independent unfortunately
    $endgroup$
    – Andrea2810
    yesterday














0












0








0





$begingroup$

just modified @mjw's answer,



n = 100;(*for example*)ClearAll[y]; 
a = Table[y[k] [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]], {k, 1, n}];
meanDist = TransformedDistribution[Sum[y[k]/100, {k, 100}], a]


JointDistribution can be composed by ProductDistribution,
if these random variables are independent.

if not,you have to use Copula



joint = ProductDistribution[meanDist, 
Last@*List @@ Part[a, 1]] /. [Sigma] -> 1;
RandomVariate[joint, 100] // Histogram3D


enter image description here



joint = ProductDistribution[meanDist, 
Last@*List @@ Part[a, 1]] /. [Sigma] -> 1;
m1 = RandomVariate[meanDist /. [Sigma] -> 1, {100000}];
m2 = RandomVariate[
Last@*List @@ Part[a, 1] /. [Sigma] -> 1, {100000}];
Correlation[Thread[List[m1, m2]]]
ListPlot[Thread[List[m1, m2]]]


=>



{{1., -0.00256777}, {-0.00256777, 1.}}


enter image description here

I'm not sure about correlation,but it's okay.






share|improve this answer











$endgroup$



just modified @mjw's answer,



n = 100;(*for example*)ClearAll[y]; 
a = Table[y[k] [Distributed] NormalDistribution[0, [Sigma]], {k, 1, n}];
meanDist = TransformedDistribution[Sum[y[k]/100, {k, 100}], a]


JointDistribution can be composed by ProductDistribution,
if these random variables are independent.

if not,you have to use Copula



joint = ProductDistribution[meanDist, 
Last@*List @@ Part[a, 1]] /. [Sigma] -> 1;
RandomVariate[joint, 100] // Histogram3D


enter image description here



joint = ProductDistribution[meanDist, 
Last@*List @@ Part[a, 1]] /. [Sigma] -> 1;
m1 = RandomVariate[meanDist /. [Sigma] -> 1, {100000}];
m2 = RandomVariate[
Last@*List @@ Part[a, 1] /. [Sigma] -> 1, {100000}];
Correlation[Thread[List[m1, m2]]]
ListPlot[Thread[List[m1, m2]]]


=>



{{1., -0.00256777}, {-0.00256777, 1.}}


enter image description here

I'm not sure about correlation,but it's okay.







share|improve this answer














share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer








edited yesterday

























answered yesterday









XminerXminer

33818




33818












  • $begingroup$
    I believe that the distributions are not independent. Since $overline{x}$ is computed from $y_i$ and other $y_j$'s, it would seem to be dependent. We could compute whether or not the distributions are dependent ...
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday










  • $begingroup$
    I would also recommend using 10^6 rather than 100, you'll get a sharper plot!
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday










  • $begingroup$
    Exactly, the two variables are not independent unfortunately
    $endgroup$
    – Andrea2810
    yesterday


















  • $begingroup$
    I believe that the distributions are not independent. Since $overline{x}$ is computed from $y_i$ and other $y_j$'s, it would seem to be dependent. We could compute whether or not the distributions are dependent ...
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday










  • $begingroup$
    I would also recommend using 10^6 rather than 100, you'll get a sharper plot!
    $endgroup$
    – mjw
    yesterday










  • $begingroup$
    Exactly, the two variables are not independent unfortunately
    $endgroup$
    – Andrea2810
    yesterday
















$begingroup$
I believe that the distributions are not independent. Since $overline{x}$ is computed from $y_i$ and other $y_j$'s, it would seem to be dependent. We could compute whether or not the distributions are dependent ...
$endgroup$
– mjw
yesterday




$begingroup$
I believe that the distributions are not independent. Since $overline{x}$ is computed from $y_i$ and other $y_j$'s, it would seem to be dependent. We could compute whether or not the distributions are dependent ...
$endgroup$
– mjw
yesterday












$begingroup$
I would also recommend using 10^6 rather than 100, you'll get a sharper plot!
$endgroup$
– mjw
yesterday




$begingroup$
I would also recommend using 10^6 rather than 100, you'll get a sharper plot!
$endgroup$
– mjw
yesterday












$begingroup$
Exactly, the two variables are not independent unfortunately
$endgroup$
– Andrea2810
yesterday




$begingroup$
Exactly, the two variables are not independent unfortunately
$endgroup$
– Andrea2810
yesterday










Andrea2810 is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.










draft saved

draft discarded


















Andrea2810 is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.













Andrea2810 is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.












Andrea2810 is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.
















Thanks for contributing an answer to Mathematica Stack Exchange!


  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid …



  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.


Use MathJax to format equations. MathJax reference.


To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function () {
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fmathematica.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f193876%2ftransformation-of-random-variables-and-joint-distributions%23new-answer', 'question_page');
}
);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown





















































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown

































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown







Popular posts from this blog

Bruad Bilen | Luke uk diar | NawigatsjuunCommonskategorii: BruadCommonskategorii: RunstükenWikiquote: Bruad

Modern approach to radio buttons

A word for worn pool table felt