Conjunctions, coordinators Unicorn Meta Zoo #1: Why another podcast? Announcing the arrival of Valued Associate #679: Cesar Manara“How long have you [had/been having] this?” - Cont. or Simple?Does the English language have an official Academy?Use of verb 'to allow' - A levels testIs sentence patterns used everywhere?About fantasy species/ race namesBe mindful of using vs be mindful ofUse of “take” in “take the Lord's name in vain”Have or containMy Boyfriend and I's favorite song… How would you phrase this?Irrespective of any “singular nouns” vs “plural nouns”

Reattaching fallen shelf to wall?

How to pronounce the unstressed е in прише́дшие?

Passing args from the bash script to the function in the script

Scheduling based problem

Is there any pythonic way to find average of specific tuple elements in array?

Are all CP/M-80 implementations binary compatible?

Can we hide a text first in a picture and then hide that image again in one more image?

Expansion//Explosion and Siren Stormtamer

How would this chord from "Rocket Man" be analyzed?

Approximating integral with small parameter

Bayes factor vs P value

How do I check if a string is entirely made of the same substring?

Why didn't the Space Shuttle bounce back into space as many times as possible so as to lose a lot of kinetic energy up there?

Mistake in years of experience in resume?

What’s with the clanks in Endgame?

Why doesn't the standard consider a template constructor as a copy constructor?

Was Dennis Ritchie being too modest in this quote about C and Pascal?

Would reducing the reference voltage of an ADC have any effect on accuracy?

How to translate "red flag" into Spanish?

What was Apollo 13's "Little Jolt" after MECO?

Has a Nobel Peace laureate ever been accused of war crimes?

Why does the Cisco show run command not show the full version, while the show version command does?

Do I need to protect SFP ports and optics from dust/contaminants? If so, how?

What is this word supposed to be?



Conjunctions, coordinators



Unicorn Meta Zoo #1: Why another podcast?
Announcing the arrival of Valued Associate #679: Cesar Manara“How long have you [had/been having] this?” - Cont. or Simple?Does the English language have an official Academy?Use of verb 'to allow' - A levels testIs sentence patterns used everywhere?About fantasy species/ race namesBe mindful of using vs be mindful ofUse of “take” in “take the Lord's name in vain”Have or containMy Boyfriend and I's favorite song… How would you phrase this?Irrespective of any “singular nouns” vs “plural nouns”



.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty margin-bottom:0;








3















I really know that for the levels of studying English language, we had always said that "for" is a coordinator. However, I would like to know what for serves in this sentence




  1. For God so loved the world.

Is it still a coordinator or any word class?










share|improve this question






















  • I think it's pretty obsolete in Modern English. I always wondered why it was listed as coordinating in textbooks, and I think it's just tradition. I've never heard it used with intent to communicate; only in recitative.

    – John Lawler
    Mar 26 at 23:41











  • I would consider it mean exactly the same thing as because.

    – Jason Bassford
    Mar 27 at 3:00






  • 1





    It's a preposition in your example. The subordinator "for" only occurs with infinitival clauses, e.g. For Ed to say that is very unusual.

    – BillJ
    Mar 27 at 8:40

















3















I really know that for the levels of studying English language, we had always said that "for" is a coordinator. However, I would like to know what for serves in this sentence




  1. For God so loved the world.

Is it still a coordinator or any word class?










share|improve this question






















  • I think it's pretty obsolete in Modern English. I always wondered why it was listed as coordinating in textbooks, and I think it's just tradition. I've never heard it used with intent to communicate; only in recitative.

    – John Lawler
    Mar 26 at 23:41











  • I would consider it mean exactly the same thing as because.

    – Jason Bassford
    Mar 27 at 3:00






  • 1





    It's a preposition in your example. The subordinator "for" only occurs with infinitival clauses, e.g. For Ed to say that is very unusual.

    – BillJ
    Mar 27 at 8:40













3












3








3








I really know that for the levels of studying English language, we had always said that "for" is a coordinator. However, I would like to know what for serves in this sentence




  1. For God so loved the world.

Is it still a coordinator or any word class?










share|improve this question














I really know that for the levels of studying English language, we had always said that "for" is a coordinator. However, I would like to know what for serves in this sentence




  1. For God so loved the world.

Is it still a coordinator or any word class?







grammar descriptive-grammar






share|improve this question













share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked Mar 26 at 22:25









user341285user341285

745




745












  • I think it's pretty obsolete in Modern English. I always wondered why it was listed as coordinating in textbooks, and I think it's just tradition. I've never heard it used with intent to communicate; only in recitative.

    – John Lawler
    Mar 26 at 23:41











  • I would consider it mean exactly the same thing as because.

    – Jason Bassford
    Mar 27 at 3:00






  • 1





    It's a preposition in your example. The subordinator "for" only occurs with infinitival clauses, e.g. For Ed to say that is very unusual.

    – BillJ
    Mar 27 at 8:40

















  • I think it's pretty obsolete in Modern English. I always wondered why it was listed as coordinating in textbooks, and I think it's just tradition. I've never heard it used with intent to communicate; only in recitative.

    – John Lawler
    Mar 26 at 23:41











  • I would consider it mean exactly the same thing as because.

    – Jason Bassford
    Mar 27 at 3:00






  • 1





    It's a preposition in your example. The subordinator "for" only occurs with infinitival clauses, e.g. For Ed to say that is very unusual.

    – BillJ
    Mar 27 at 8:40
















I think it's pretty obsolete in Modern English. I always wondered why it was listed as coordinating in textbooks, and I think it's just tradition. I've never heard it used with intent to communicate; only in recitative.

– John Lawler
Mar 26 at 23:41





I think it's pretty obsolete in Modern English. I always wondered why it was listed as coordinating in textbooks, and I think it's just tradition. I've never heard it used with intent to communicate; only in recitative.

– John Lawler
Mar 26 at 23:41













I would consider it mean exactly the same thing as because.

– Jason Bassford
Mar 27 at 3:00





I would consider it mean exactly the same thing as because.

– Jason Bassford
Mar 27 at 3:00




1




1





It's a preposition in your example. The subordinator "for" only occurs with infinitival clauses, e.g. For Ed to say that is very unusual.

– BillJ
Mar 27 at 8:40





It's a preposition in your example. The subordinator "for" only occurs with infinitival clauses, e.g. For Ed to say that is very unusual.

– BillJ
Mar 27 at 8:40










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes


















0














In your case 'for' is a conjunction.



According to Oxford English English Dictionary
(https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/for):



FOR



CONJUNCTION



literary 



Because; since.



‘he felt guilty, for he knew that he bore a share of responsibility for Fanny's death’



As about the term 'coordinator' it's a synonym of 'conjunction'.



See in Oxford Living Dictionary:



Coordinator



2 Grammar 
A word used to connect clauses, sentences, or words of equal syntactic importance (e.g. and, or, for)



‘subordinate clauses can be connected with a coordinator’
(https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/coordinator)






share|improve this answer























    Your Answer








    StackExchange.ready(function()
    var channelOptions =
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "97"
    ;
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
    createEditor();
    );

    else
    createEditor();

    );

    function createEditor()
    StackExchange.prepareEditor(
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
    convertImagesToLinks: false,
    noModals: true,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: null,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    imageUploader:
    brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
    contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
    allowUrls: true
    ,
    noCode: true, onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    );



    );













    draft saved

    draft discarded


















    StackExchange.ready(
    function ()
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fenglish.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f491485%2fconjunctions-coordinators%23new-answer', 'question_page');

    );

    Post as a guest















    Required, but never shown

























    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes








    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes









    0














    In your case 'for' is a conjunction.



    According to Oxford English English Dictionary
    (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/for):



    FOR



    CONJUNCTION



    literary 



    Because; since.



    ‘he felt guilty, for he knew that he bore a share of responsibility for Fanny's death’



    As about the term 'coordinator' it's a synonym of 'conjunction'.



    See in Oxford Living Dictionary:



    Coordinator



    2 Grammar 
    A word used to connect clauses, sentences, or words of equal syntactic importance (e.g. and, or, for)



    ‘subordinate clauses can be connected with a coordinator’
    (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/coordinator)






    share|improve this answer



























      0














      In your case 'for' is a conjunction.



      According to Oxford English English Dictionary
      (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/for):



      FOR



      CONJUNCTION



      literary 



      Because; since.



      ‘he felt guilty, for he knew that he bore a share of responsibility for Fanny's death’



      As about the term 'coordinator' it's a synonym of 'conjunction'.



      See in Oxford Living Dictionary:



      Coordinator



      2 Grammar 
      A word used to connect clauses, sentences, or words of equal syntactic importance (e.g. and, or, for)



      ‘subordinate clauses can be connected with a coordinator’
      (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/coordinator)






      share|improve this answer

























        0












        0








        0







        In your case 'for' is a conjunction.



        According to Oxford English English Dictionary
        (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/for):



        FOR



        CONJUNCTION



        literary 



        Because; since.



        ‘he felt guilty, for he knew that he bore a share of responsibility for Fanny's death’



        As about the term 'coordinator' it's a synonym of 'conjunction'.



        See in Oxford Living Dictionary:



        Coordinator



        2 Grammar 
        A word used to connect clauses, sentences, or words of equal syntactic importance (e.g. and, or, for)



        ‘subordinate clauses can be connected with a coordinator’
        (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/coordinator)






        share|improve this answer













        In your case 'for' is a conjunction.



        According to Oxford English English Dictionary
        (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/for):



        FOR



        CONJUNCTION



        literary 



        Because; since.



        ‘he felt guilty, for he knew that he bore a share of responsibility for Fanny's death’



        As about the term 'coordinator' it's a synonym of 'conjunction'.



        See in Oxford Living Dictionary:



        Coordinator



        2 Grammar 
        A word used to connect clauses, sentences, or words of equal syntactic importance (e.g. and, or, for)



        ‘subordinate clauses can be connected with a coordinator’
        (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/coordinator)







        share|improve this answer












        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer










        answered Mar 27 at 4:25









        user307254user307254

        1




        1



























            draft saved

            draft discarded
















































            Thanks for contributing an answer to English Language & Usage Stack Exchange!


            • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

            But avoid …


            • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

            • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

            To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




            draft saved


            draft discarded














            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fenglish.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f491485%2fconjunctions-coordinators%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest















            Required, but never shown





















































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown

































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown







            Popular posts from this blog

            Bruad Bilen | Luke uk diar | NawigatsjuunCommonskategorii: BruadCommonskategorii: RunstükenWikiquote: Bruad

            Modern approach to radio buttons

            A word for worn pool table felt