Is the sentence “I’m only going to ask you again once.” grammatically correct? Unicorn Meta Zoo #1: Why another podcast? Announcing the arrival of Valued Associate #679: Cesar ManaraShould I use the singular or plural verb in mathematical formulae (“Two and two make/makes four”)?is it correct “there'll be no trace that one was once two”?Comparisons: “so [adjective/adverb] as” or “as [adjective/adverb] as”Why Is “You did well.” Even Grammatically Correct (American English)?adverb phrases modifying each otherAcceptability of relative constructions that include relativized pronouns, e.g. “the man who I wasn't sure where he had gone”When is “Your” grammatically correct instead of “You are”Would the phrase “Would you have interest?” be grammatically correct?“Can you not do that?”What exactly is a flat adverb?

Contradiction proof for inequality of P and NP?

What *exactly* is electrical current, voltage, and resistance?

Bayes factor vs P value

Will I lose my paid in full property

How long after the last departure shall the airport stay open for an emergency return?

Expansion//Explosion and Siren Stormtamer

What to do with someone that cheated their way through university and a PhD program?

Reattaching fallen shelf to wall?

Are all CP/M-80 implementations binary compatible?

Has a Nobel Peace laureate ever been accused of war crimes?

Putting Ant-Man on house arrest

My bank got bought out, am I now going to have to start filing tax returns in a different state?

What is the best way to deal with NPC-NPC combat?

Is it acceptable to use working hours to read general interest books?

Married in secret, can marital status in passport be changed at a later date?

A strange hotel

How to get even lighting when using flash for group photos near wall?

Is accepting an invalid credit card number a security issue?

What ability score does a Hexblade's Pact Weapon use for attack and damage when wielded by another character?

Does Feeblemind produce an ongoing magical effect that can be dispelled?

Can we hide a text first in a picture and then hide that image again in one more image?

What's parked in Mil Moscow helicopter plant?

Is there any pythonic way to find average of specific tuple elements in array?

A faster way to compute the largest prime factor



Is the sentence “I’m only going to ask you again once.” grammatically correct?



Unicorn Meta Zoo #1: Why another podcast?
Announcing the arrival of Valued Associate #679: Cesar ManaraShould I use the singular or plural verb in mathematical formulae (“Two and two make/makes four”)?is it correct “there'll be no trace that one was once two”?Comparisons: “so [adjective/adverb] as” or “as [adjective/adverb] as”Why Is “You did well.” Even Grammatically Correct (American English)?adverb phrases modifying each otherAcceptability of relative constructions that include relativized pronouns, e.g. “the man who I wasn't sure where he had gone”When is “Your” grammatically correct instead of “You are”Would the phrase “Would you have interest?” be grammatically correct?“Can you not do that?”What exactly is a flat adverb?



.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty margin-bottom:0;








0















I was under the impression that you can't use two adverbs to modify the same verb. Namely when again modifies "ask", once cannot also modify ask. I've been told that once can modify "ask you again", but I wasn't sure if that was correct/possible.










share|improve this question

















  • 1





    I am going to ask you again twice.Did you do it? Did you do it? once, twice, three times etc.

    – Lambie
    Mar 26 at 23:38











  • Whether it is grammatically correct or not, it doesn't sound right and should read, 'I am only going to ask you one more time'.

    – GoodJuJu
    Mar 26 at 23:54






  • 2





    Quotation from 1776: "Then I ask you again once more, did not Carpenter ask you to drink?" (books.google.com/…)

    – MiCl
    Mar 27 at 0:00











  • "Once" modifies the entire phrase "ask you again". It's a bit shaky on semantic grounds but is legit syntax.

    – Hot Licks
    Mar 27 at 2:18

















0















I was under the impression that you can't use two adverbs to modify the same verb. Namely when again modifies "ask", once cannot also modify ask. I've been told that once can modify "ask you again", but I wasn't sure if that was correct/possible.










share|improve this question

















  • 1





    I am going to ask you again twice.Did you do it? Did you do it? once, twice, three times etc.

    – Lambie
    Mar 26 at 23:38











  • Whether it is grammatically correct or not, it doesn't sound right and should read, 'I am only going to ask you one more time'.

    – GoodJuJu
    Mar 26 at 23:54






  • 2





    Quotation from 1776: "Then I ask you again once more, did not Carpenter ask you to drink?" (books.google.com/…)

    – MiCl
    Mar 27 at 0:00











  • "Once" modifies the entire phrase "ask you again". It's a bit shaky on semantic grounds but is legit syntax.

    – Hot Licks
    Mar 27 at 2:18













0












0








0








I was under the impression that you can't use two adverbs to modify the same verb. Namely when again modifies "ask", once cannot also modify ask. I've been told that once can modify "ask you again", but I wasn't sure if that was correct/possible.










share|improve this question














I was under the impression that you can't use two adverbs to modify the same verb. Namely when again modifies "ask", once cannot also modify ask. I've been told that once can modify "ask you again", but I wasn't sure if that was correct/possible.







grammaticality






share|improve this question













share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked Mar 26 at 23:19









EzeugoEzeugo

1




1







  • 1





    I am going to ask you again twice.Did you do it? Did you do it? once, twice, three times etc.

    – Lambie
    Mar 26 at 23:38











  • Whether it is grammatically correct or not, it doesn't sound right and should read, 'I am only going to ask you one more time'.

    – GoodJuJu
    Mar 26 at 23:54






  • 2





    Quotation from 1776: "Then I ask you again once more, did not Carpenter ask you to drink?" (books.google.com/…)

    – MiCl
    Mar 27 at 0:00











  • "Once" modifies the entire phrase "ask you again". It's a bit shaky on semantic grounds but is legit syntax.

    – Hot Licks
    Mar 27 at 2:18












  • 1





    I am going to ask you again twice.Did you do it? Did you do it? once, twice, three times etc.

    – Lambie
    Mar 26 at 23:38











  • Whether it is grammatically correct or not, it doesn't sound right and should read, 'I am only going to ask you one more time'.

    – GoodJuJu
    Mar 26 at 23:54






  • 2





    Quotation from 1776: "Then I ask you again once more, did not Carpenter ask you to drink?" (books.google.com/…)

    – MiCl
    Mar 27 at 0:00











  • "Once" modifies the entire phrase "ask you again". It's a bit shaky on semantic grounds but is legit syntax.

    – Hot Licks
    Mar 27 at 2:18







1




1





I am going to ask you again twice.Did you do it? Did you do it? once, twice, three times etc.

– Lambie
Mar 26 at 23:38





I am going to ask you again twice.Did you do it? Did you do it? once, twice, three times etc.

– Lambie
Mar 26 at 23:38













Whether it is grammatically correct or not, it doesn't sound right and should read, 'I am only going to ask you one more time'.

– GoodJuJu
Mar 26 at 23:54





Whether it is grammatically correct or not, it doesn't sound right and should read, 'I am only going to ask you one more time'.

– GoodJuJu
Mar 26 at 23:54




2




2





Quotation from 1776: "Then I ask you again once more, did not Carpenter ask you to drink?" (books.google.com/…)

– MiCl
Mar 27 at 0:00





Quotation from 1776: "Then I ask you again once more, did not Carpenter ask you to drink?" (books.google.com/…)

– MiCl
Mar 27 at 0:00













"Once" modifies the entire phrase "ask you again". It's a bit shaky on semantic grounds but is legit syntax.

– Hot Licks
Mar 27 at 2:18





"Once" modifies the entire phrase "ask you again". It's a bit shaky on semantic grounds but is legit syntax.

– Hot Licks
Mar 27 at 2:18










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes


















0














It seems alright speaking the sentence, but the more correct form would probably be, "Ask you one more time."






share|improve this answer























    Your Answer








    StackExchange.ready(function()
    var channelOptions =
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "97"
    ;
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
    createEditor();
    );

    else
    createEditor();

    );

    function createEditor()
    StackExchange.prepareEditor(
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
    convertImagesToLinks: false,
    noModals: true,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: null,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    imageUploader:
    brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
    contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
    allowUrls: true
    ,
    noCode: true, onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    );



    );













    draft saved

    draft discarded


















    StackExchange.ready(
    function ()
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fenglish.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f491492%2fis-the-sentence-i-m-only-going-to-ask-you-again-once-grammatically-correct%23new-answer', 'question_page');

    );

    Post as a guest















    Required, but never shown

























    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes








    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes









    0














    It seems alright speaking the sentence, but the more correct form would probably be, "Ask you one more time."






    share|improve this answer



























      0














      It seems alright speaking the sentence, but the more correct form would probably be, "Ask you one more time."






      share|improve this answer

























        0












        0








        0







        It seems alright speaking the sentence, but the more correct form would probably be, "Ask you one more time."






        share|improve this answer













        It seems alright speaking the sentence, but the more correct form would probably be, "Ask you one more time."







        share|improve this answer












        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer










        answered Mar 27 at 5:23









        Bella SwanBella Swan

        4208




        4208



























            draft saved

            draft discarded
















































            Thanks for contributing an answer to English Language & Usage Stack Exchange!


            • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

            But avoid …


            • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

            • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

            To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




            draft saved


            draft discarded














            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fenglish.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f491492%2fis-the-sentence-i-m-only-going-to-ask-you-again-once-grammatically-correct%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest















            Required, but never shown





















































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown

































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown







            Popular posts from this blog

            Bruad Bilen | Luke uk diar | NawigatsjuunCommonskategorii: BruadCommonskategorii: RunstükenWikiquote: Bruad

            Modern approach to radio buttons

            A word for worn pool table felt