Word for two very particular phrases Unicorn Meta Zoo #1: Why another podcast? Announcing the arrival of Valued Associate #679: Cesar ManaraWhat is the word for two-part phrases where the second (or first) half drops off?Rules for hyphens in words and phrasesTwo-part phrases: official term?What is the difference between those two phrasesPhrases for filling stomachWhat is single word or phrase/idiom for “someone speaks alot but works very-very slow”Unsure about two phrases dealing with locationSpecific word for piecing two facts togetherPhrases for two methods that are different but both can solve the same task?

Does Mathematica have an implementation of the Poisson binomial distribution?

Is Bran literally the world's memory?

How do I check if a string is entirely made of the same substring?

c++ diamond problem - How to call base method only once

Will I lose my paid in full property

Which big number is bigger?

Why didn't the Space Shuttle bounce back into space as many times as possible so as to lose a lot of kinetic energy up there?

What is this word supposed to be?

Scheduling based problem

What *exactly* is electrical current, voltage, and resistance?

Is there any hidden 'W' sound after 'comment' in : Comment est-elle?

Can you stand up from being prone using Skirmisher outside of your turn?

What to do with someone that cheated their way through university and a PhD program?

Why doesn't the standard consider a template constructor as a copy constructor?

Are all CP/M-80 implementations binary compatible?

Is there any pythonic way to find average of specific tuple elements in array?

How do I proof this combinatorial identity

"My boss was furious with me and I have been fired" vs. "My boss was furious with me and I was fired"

Is accepting an invalid credit card number a security issue?

Contradiction proof for inequality of P and NP?

Could moose/elk survive in the Amazon forest?

Why do games have consumables?

How would this chord from "Rocket Man" be analyzed?

Expansion//Explosion and Siren Stormtamer



Word for two very particular phrases



Unicorn Meta Zoo #1: Why another podcast?
Announcing the arrival of Valued Associate #679: Cesar ManaraWhat is the word for two-part phrases where the second (or first) half drops off?Rules for hyphens in words and phrasesTwo-part phrases: official term?What is the difference between those two phrasesPhrases for filling stomachWhat is single word or phrase/idiom for “someone speaks alot but works very-very slow”Unsure about two phrases dealing with locationSpecific word for piecing two facts togetherPhrases for two methods that are different but both can solve the same task?



.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty margin-bottom:0;








0















So I remember seeing a really specific Wikipedia (I think) page describing an odd occurrence in English. It was used to describe two idioms that mean the same thing, but are phrased differently due to people misinterpreting the statement.



For example, 'All intents and purposes' and 'All intensive purposes'.



If anyone knows the phrase, or possibly even a similar phrase that could lead me to my answer, please share.



Thank you!










share|improve this question

















  • 2





    The transformed idioms could be classed as malapropisms, , I suppose, but I can't think of a name for the pairing of the original and corrupted forms.

    – Michael Harvey
    Mar 26 at 21:42


















0















So I remember seeing a really specific Wikipedia (I think) page describing an odd occurrence in English. It was used to describe two idioms that mean the same thing, but are phrased differently due to people misinterpreting the statement.



For example, 'All intents and purposes' and 'All intensive purposes'.



If anyone knows the phrase, or possibly even a similar phrase that could lead me to my answer, please share.



Thank you!










share|improve this question

















  • 2





    The transformed idioms could be classed as malapropisms, , I suppose, but I can't think of a name for the pairing of the original and corrupted forms.

    – Michael Harvey
    Mar 26 at 21:42














0












0








0








So I remember seeing a really specific Wikipedia (I think) page describing an odd occurrence in English. It was used to describe two idioms that mean the same thing, but are phrased differently due to people misinterpreting the statement.



For example, 'All intents and purposes' and 'All intensive purposes'.



If anyone knows the phrase, or possibly even a similar phrase that could lead me to my answer, please share.



Thank you!










share|improve this question














So I remember seeing a really specific Wikipedia (I think) page describing an odd occurrence in English. It was used to describe two idioms that mean the same thing, but are phrased differently due to people misinterpreting the statement.



For example, 'All intents and purposes' and 'All intensive purposes'.



If anyone knows the phrase, or possibly even a similar phrase that could lead me to my answer, please share.



Thank you!







phrases expression-requests






share|improve this question













share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked Mar 26 at 21:24









JohnJohn

1




1







  • 2





    The transformed idioms could be classed as malapropisms, , I suppose, but I can't think of a name for the pairing of the original and corrupted forms.

    – Michael Harvey
    Mar 26 at 21:42













  • 2





    The transformed idioms could be classed as malapropisms, , I suppose, but I can't think of a name for the pairing of the original and corrupted forms.

    – Michael Harvey
    Mar 26 at 21:42








2




2





The transformed idioms could be classed as malapropisms, , I suppose, but I can't think of a name for the pairing of the original and corrupted forms.

– Michael Harvey
Mar 26 at 21:42






The transformed idioms could be classed as malapropisms, , I suppose, but I can't think of a name for the pairing of the original and corrupted forms.

– Michael Harvey
Mar 26 at 21:42











1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes


















2














You say ...




...used to describe two idioms that mean the same thing ...



'All intents and purposes' and 'All intensive purposes'




However those don't 'mean the same thing'.




You might be thinking of mondegreens




A mondegreen /ˈmɒndɪɡriːn/ is a mishearing or misinterpretation of a
phrase as a result of near-homophony, in a way that gives it a new
meaning. Mondegreens are most often created by a person listening to a
poem or a song... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondegreen







share|improve this answer

























  • @Michael Harvey - You're right, I've amended my answer to remove 'necessarily'.

    – chasly from UK
    Mar 26 at 22:44











Your Answer








StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "97"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: false,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: null,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader:
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
,
noCode: true, onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













draft saved

draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fenglish.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f491480%2fword-for-two-very-particular-phrases%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown

























1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes








1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes









2














You say ...




...used to describe two idioms that mean the same thing ...



'All intents and purposes' and 'All intensive purposes'




However those don't 'mean the same thing'.




You might be thinking of mondegreens




A mondegreen /ˈmɒndɪɡriːn/ is a mishearing or misinterpretation of a
phrase as a result of near-homophony, in a way that gives it a new
meaning. Mondegreens are most often created by a person listening to a
poem or a song... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondegreen







share|improve this answer

























  • @Michael Harvey - You're right, I've amended my answer to remove 'necessarily'.

    – chasly from UK
    Mar 26 at 22:44















2














You say ...




...used to describe two idioms that mean the same thing ...



'All intents and purposes' and 'All intensive purposes'




However those don't 'mean the same thing'.




You might be thinking of mondegreens




A mondegreen /ˈmɒndɪɡriːn/ is a mishearing or misinterpretation of a
phrase as a result of near-homophony, in a way that gives it a new
meaning. Mondegreens are most often created by a person listening to a
poem or a song... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondegreen







share|improve this answer

























  • @Michael Harvey - You're right, I've amended my answer to remove 'necessarily'.

    – chasly from UK
    Mar 26 at 22:44













2












2








2







You say ...




...used to describe two idioms that mean the same thing ...



'All intents and purposes' and 'All intensive purposes'




However those don't 'mean the same thing'.




You might be thinking of mondegreens




A mondegreen /ˈmɒndɪɡriːn/ is a mishearing or misinterpretation of a
phrase as a result of near-homophony, in a way that gives it a new
meaning. Mondegreens are most often created by a person listening to a
poem or a song... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondegreen







share|improve this answer















You say ...




...used to describe two idioms that mean the same thing ...



'All intents and purposes' and 'All intensive purposes'




However those don't 'mean the same thing'.




You might be thinking of mondegreens




A mondegreen /ˈmɒndɪɡriːn/ is a mishearing or misinterpretation of a
phrase as a result of near-homophony, in a way that gives it a new
meaning. Mondegreens are most often created by a person listening to a
poem or a song... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondegreen








share|improve this answer














share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer








edited Mar 26 at 22:43

























answered Mar 26 at 22:07









chasly from UKchasly from UK

24.2k13275




24.2k13275












  • @Michael Harvey - You're right, I've amended my answer to remove 'necessarily'.

    – chasly from UK
    Mar 26 at 22:44

















  • @Michael Harvey - You're right, I've amended my answer to remove 'necessarily'.

    – chasly from UK
    Mar 26 at 22:44
















@Michael Harvey - You're right, I've amended my answer to remove 'necessarily'.

– chasly from UK
Mar 26 at 22:44





@Michael Harvey - You're right, I've amended my answer to remove 'necessarily'.

– chasly from UK
Mar 26 at 22:44

















draft saved

draft discarded
















































Thanks for contributing an answer to English Language & Usage Stack Exchange!


  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid …


  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fenglish.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f491480%2fword-for-two-very-particular-phrases%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown





















































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown

































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown







Popular posts from this blog

Bruad Bilen | Luke uk diar | NawigatsjuunCommonskategorii: BruadCommonskategorii: RunstükenWikiquote: Bruad

Modern approach to radio buttons

A word for worn pool table felt