Confused about a passage in Harry Potter y la piedra filosofalWhy is subjunctive used when talking about a fact?Using “qué” or “quién” when talking about peopleSer vs estar in sentences about compositionSome questions about Spanish tenses and sentence structure“No es culpa mía (de) que …”Talking about headaches in SpanishUsing “lo que” or “que” as the relative pronounHow do you use Alguno and its other forms correctly?The proper use of le as the indirect pronounWhy is subjunctive used when talking about a fact?Speaking about body parts in Spanish

Is the claim "Employers won't employ people with no 'social media presence'" realistic?

Do I have to worry about players making “bad” choices on level up?

555 timer FM transmitter

How much cash can I safely carry into the USA and avoid civil forfeiture?

Interpret a multiple linear regression when Y is log transformed

Apply MapThread to all but one variable

Can i spend a night at Vancouver then take a flight to my college in Toronto as an international student?

How can Republicans who favour free markets, consistently express anger when they don't like the outcome of that choice?

Was there a shared-world project before "Thieves World"?

What's the polite way to say "I need to urinate"?

How to stop co-workers from teasing me because I know Russian?

Minor Revision with suggestion of an alternative proof by reviewer

Map of water taps to fill bottles

Why do games have consumables?

As an international instructor, should I openly talk about my accent?

Was there a Viking Exchange as well as a Columbian one?

If a planet has 3 moons, is it possible to have triple Full/New Moons at once?

Is there a way to get a compiler for the original B programming language?

What makes accurate emulation of old systems a difficult task?

To say I met a person for the first time

Pulling the rope with one hand is as heavy as with two hands?

How to have a sharp product image?

Why does processed meat contain preservatives, while canned fish needs not?

Is there really no use for MD5 anymore?



Confused about a passage in Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal


Why is subjunctive used when talking about a fact?Using “qué” or “quién” when talking about peopleSer vs estar in sentences about compositionSome questions about Spanish tenses and sentence structure“No es culpa mía (de) que …”Talking about headaches in SpanishUsing “lo que” or “que” as the relative pronounHow do you use Alguno and its other forms correctly?The proper use of le as the indirect pronounWhy is subjunctive used when talking about a fact?Speaking about body parts in Spanish













4















I'm reading Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal, and I'm a bit confused about how this passage works gramatically:




La profesora McGonagall los observó mientras convertían un raton en
una caja de rapé. Sumaba puntos la belleza de las cajas, pero los
restaba que tuvieran bigotes.




First, is Professor McGonagall the implied subject of sumaba? If so, how does la belleza de las cajas fit in? I would have though you'd need a preposition in there, something like sumaba puntos por la belleza de las cajas.



And finally, I'm confused about how que tuvieran bigotes works; I again would have thought you'd need a preposition, e.g. something like los restaba por las (cajas) que tuvieran bigotes.



Gracias!










share|improve this question


























    4















    I'm reading Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal, and I'm a bit confused about how this passage works gramatically:




    La profesora McGonagall los observó mientras convertían un raton en
    una caja de rapé. Sumaba puntos la belleza de las cajas, pero los
    restaba que tuvieran bigotes.




    First, is Professor McGonagall the implied subject of sumaba? If so, how does la belleza de las cajas fit in? I would have though you'd need a preposition in there, something like sumaba puntos por la belleza de las cajas.



    And finally, I'm confused about how que tuvieran bigotes works; I again would have thought you'd need a preposition, e.g. something like los restaba por las (cajas) que tuvieran bigotes.



    Gracias!










    share|improve this question
























      4












      4








      4








      I'm reading Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal, and I'm a bit confused about how this passage works gramatically:




      La profesora McGonagall los observó mientras convertían un raton en
      una caja de rapé. Sumaba puntos la belleza de las cajas, pero los
      restaba que tuvieran bigotes.




      First, is Professor McGonagall the implied subject of sumaba? If so, how does la belleza de las cajas fit in? I would have though you'd need a preposition in there, something like sumaba puntos por la belleza de las cajas.



      And finally, I'm confused about how que tuvieran bigotes works; I again would have thought you'd need a preposition, e.g. something like los restaba por las (cajas) que tuvieran bigotes.



      Gracias!










      share|improve this question














      I'm reading Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal, and I'm a bit confused about how this passage works gramatically:




      La profesora McGonagall los observó mientras convertían un raton en
      una caja de rapé. Sumaba puntos la belleza de las cajas, pero los
      restaba que tuvieran bigotes.




      First, is Professor McGonagall the implied subject of sumaba? If so, how does la belleza de las cajas fit in? I would have though you'd need a preposition in there, something like sumaba puntos por la belleza de las cajas.



      And finally, I'm confused about how que tuvieran bigotes works; I again would have thought you'd need a preposition, e.g. something like los restaba por las (cajas) que tuvieran bigotes.



      Gracias!







      gramática






      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question











      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question










      asked Mar 26 at 18:45









      Alan O'DonnellAlan O'Donnell

      2455




      2455




















          3 Answers
          3






          active

          oldest

          votes


















          10














          The sentence:




          Sumaba puntos la belleza de las cajas, pero los restaba que tuvieran bigotes.




          is perfect as is, and I wouldn’t go so far as to criticize the translation.



          The first part of the sentence is a case of subject/predicate inversion, and is to be understood as follows:




          La belleza de las cajas (subject) sumaba puntos (predicate).




          This inversion is very usual in Spanish.



          In the second part of the sentence, we find a nominal clause as subject, and in this case inversion is not mandatory but convenient:




          Que tuvieran bigotes (subject) los restaba (predicate).




          The sentence is fine as stated because reference is being made to the rules by which the students would be assessed, and by omitting “the teacher” the rules sound more impersonal and objective. This would be a literal translation:



          • The beauty of the boxes added points, but the fact that they had whiskers subtracted them.

          The original is in the passive form, which is in line with the idea that some impersonality was meant to be assigned to the sentence:



          Points were given for how pretty the snuffbox was, but taken away if it had whiskers.






          share|improve this answer




















          • 1





            Ah, very helpful, I hadn't realized you could use que like that in Spanish to use a nominal clause as a subject (although coming from French, it makes sense). For future reference, one of your other answers was related and helpful too: spanish.stackexchange.com/questions/25679/…

            – Alan O'Donnell
            Mar 26 at 22:42


















          7














          Based on the comment OP made in a different question ("I understand what the passage means, I'm just confused about how the Spanish grammar works"), I propose another way of analyzing the second sentence. To me it's clear that this is neither an impersonal sentence nor is the subject implicit.



          The sentence consists of two propositions coordinated by the conjunction pero:



          1. sumaba puntos la belleza de las cajas

          2. los restaba que tuvieran bigotes

          In (1) the subject is «la belleza de las cajas». It's after the verb instead of before, but that's not unusual in Spanish. What this proposition means is that "the beauty of the boxes added points", i.e. when there was beauty in the boxes, that beauty counted for more points. Puntos is the direct object of sumaba.



          In (2) we have a plural 3rd person pronoun, los, which stands for puntos and is the direct object of the verb restaba. The subject in this proposition is the subordinate phrase «que tuvieran bigotes». That is: "that they had whiskers (or "having whiskers") subtracted them (=points)".



          "Normalizing" and making everything explicit, this would be




          La belleza de las cajas sumaba puntos, pero que tuvieran bigotes los restaba.







          share|improve this answer






























            0














            Basically, it is saying the following:




            The professor awarded points to the students based on the beauty of their boxes
            and took off points if the boxes had whiskers (imagine a mouse's whiskers...)




            And for the following:




            los restaba que tuvieran bigotes




            First of all, "los" refers to the points and not the boxes, so using las is inappropriate in this case. It's already clear what he is taking the points off for (the boxes) so it is unnecessary to repeat it. No other prepositions are needed to clarify in Spanish, though from an English perspective, it is a different way of employing language.






            share|improve this answer




















            • 1





              Sorry, I should have been clearer—I understand what the passage means, I'm just confused about how the Spanish grammar works.

              – Alan O'Donnell
              Mar 26 at 19:27











            Your Answer








            StackExchange.ready(function()
            var channelOptions =
            tags: "".split(" "),
            id: "353"
            ;
            initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

            StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
            // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
            if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
            StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
            createEditor();
            );

            else
            createEditor();

            );

            function createEditor()
            StackExchange.prepareEditor(
            heartbeatType: 'answer',
            autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
            convertImagesToLinks: false,
            noModals: true,
            showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
            reputationToPostImages: null,
            bindNavPrevention: true,
            postfix: "",
            imageUploader:
            brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
            contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
            allowUrls: true
            ,
            noCode: true, onDemand: true,
            discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
            ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
            );



            );













            draft saved

            draft discarded


















            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fspanish.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f28961%2fconfused-about-a-passage-in-harry-potter-y-la-piedra-filosofal%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest















            Required, but never shown

























            3 Answers
            3






            active

            oldest

            votes








            3 Answers
            3






            active

            oldest

            votes









            active

            oldest

            votes






            active

            oldest

            votes









            10














            The sentence:




            Sumaba puntos la belleza de las cajas, pero los restaba que tuvieran bigotes.




            is perfect as is, and I wouldn’t go so far as to criticize the translation.



            The first part of the sentence is a case of subject/predicate inversion, and is to be understood as follows:




            La belleza de las cajas (subject) sumaba puntos (predicate).




            This inversion is very usual in Spanish.



            In the second part of the sentence, we find a nominal clause as subject, and in this case inversion is not mandatory but convenient:




            Que tuvieran bigotes (subject) los restaba (predicate).




            The sentence is fine as stated because reference is being made to the rules by which the students would be assessed, and by omitting “the teacher” the rules sound more impersonal and objective. This would be a literal translation:



            • The beauty of the boxes added points, but the fact that they had whiskers subtracted them.

            The original is in the passive form, which is in line with the idea that some impersonality was meant to be assigned to the sentence:



            Points were given for how pretty the snuffbox was, but taken away if it had whiskers.






            share|improve this answer




















            • 1





              Ah, very helpful, I hadn't realized you could use que like that in Spanish to use a nominal clause as a subject (although coming from French, it makes sense). For future reference, one of your other answers was related and helpful too: spanish.stackexchange.com/questions/25679/…

              – Alan O'Donnell
              Mar 26 at 22:42















            10














            The sentence:




            Sumaba puntos la belleza de las cajas, pero los restaba que tuvieran bigotes.




            is perfect as is, and I wouldn’t go so far as to criticize the translation.



            The first part of the sentence is a case of subject/predicate inversion, and is to be understood as follows:




            La belleza de las cajas (subject) sumaba puntos (predicate).




            This inversion is very usual in Spanish.



            In the second part of the sentence, we find a nominal clause as subject, and in this case inversion is not mandatory but convenient:




            Que tuvieran bigotes (subject) los restaba (predicate).




            The sentence is fine as stated because reference is being made to the rules by which the students would be assessed, and by omitting “the teacher” the rules sound more impersonal and objective. This would be a literal translation:



            • The beauty of the boxes added points, but the fact that they had whiskers subtracted them.

            The original is in the passive form, which is in line with the idea that some impersonality was meant to be assigned to the sentence:



            Points were given for how pretty the snuffbox was, but taken away if it had whiskers.






            share|improve this answer




















            • 1





              Ah, very helpful, I hadn't realized you could use que like that in Spanish to use a nominal clause as a subject (although coming from French, it makes sense). For future reference, one of your other answers was related and helpful too: spanish.stackexchange.com/questions/25679/…

              – Alan O'Donnell
              Mar 26 at 22:42













            10












            10








            10







            The sentence:




            Sumaba puntos la belleza de las cajas, pero los restaba que tuvieran bigotes.




            is perfect as is, and I wouldn’t go so far as to criticize the translation.



            The first part of the sentence is a case of subject/predicate inversion, and is to be understood as follows:




            La belleza de las cajas (subject) sumaba puntos (predicate).




            This inversion is very usual in Spanish.



            In the second part of the sentence, we find a nominal clause as subject, and in this case inversion is not mandatory but convenient:




            Que tuvieran bigotes (subject) los restaba (predicate).




            The sentence is fine as stated because reference is being made to the rules by which the students would be assessed, and by omitting “the teacher” the rules sound more impersonal and objective. This would be a literal translation:



            • The beauty of the boxes added points, but the fact that they had whiskers subtracted them.

            The original is in the passive form, which is in line with the idea that some impersonality was meant to be assigned to the sentence:



            Points were given for how pretty the snuffbox was, but taken away if it had whiskers.






            share|improve this answer















            The sentence:




            Sumaba puntos la belleza de las cajas, pero los restaba que tuvieran bigotes.




            is perfect as is, and I wouldn’t go so far as to criticize the translation.



            The first part of the sentence is a case of subject/predicate inversion, and is to be understood as follows:




            La belleza de las cajas (subject) sumaba puntos (predicate).




            This inversion is very usual in Spanish.



            In the second part of the sentence, we find a nominal clause as subject, and in this case inversion is not mandatory but convenient:




            Que tuvieran bigotes (subject) los restaba (predicate).




            The sentence is fine as stated because reference is being made to the rules by which the students would be assessed, and by omitting “the teacher” the rules sound more impersonal and objective. This would be a literal translation:



            • The beauty of the boxes added points, but the fact that they had whiskers subtracted them.

            The original is in the passive form, which is in line with the idea that some impersonality was meant to be assigned to the sentence:



            Points were given for how pretty the snuffbox was, but taken away if it had whiskers.







            share|improve this answer














            share|improve this answer



            share|improve this answer








            edited Mar 26 at 20:12

























            answered Mar 26 at 20:01









            GustavsonGustavson

            9,4741829




            9,4741829







            • 1





              Ah, very helpful, I hadn't realized you could use que like that in Spanish to use a nominal clause as a subject (although coming from French, it makes sense). For future reference, one of your other answers was related and helpful too: spanish.stackexchange.com/questions/25679/…

              – Alan O'Donnell
              Mar 26 at 22:42












            • 1





              Ah, very helpful, I hadn't realized you could use que like that in Spanish to use a nominal clause as a subject (although coming from French, it makes sense). For future reference, one of your other answers was related and helpful too: spanish.stackexchange.com/questions/25679/…

              – Alan O'Donnell
              Mar 26 at 22:42







            1




            1





            Ah, very helpful, I hadn't realized you could use que like that in Spanish to use a nominal clause as a subject (although coming from French, it makes sense). For future reference, one of your other answers was related and helpful too: spanish.stackexchange.com/questions/25679/…

            – Alan O'Donnell
            Mar 26 at 22:42





            Ah, very helpful, I hadn't realized you could use que like that in Spanish to use a nominal clause as a subject (although coming from French, it makes sense). For future reference, one of your other answers was related and helpful too: spanish.stackexchange.com/questions/25679/…

            – Alan O'Donnell
            Mar 26 at 22:42











            7














            Based on the comment OP made in a different question ("I understand what the passage means, I'm just confused about how the Spanish grammar works"), I propose another way of analyzing the second sentence. To me it's clear that this is neither an impersonal sentence nor is the subject implicit.



            The sentence consists of two propositions coordinated by the conjunction pero:



            1. sumaba puntos la belleza de las cajas

            2. los restaba que tuvieran bigotes

            In (1) the subject is «la belleza de las cajas». It's after the verb instead of before, but that's not unusual in Spanish. What this proposition means is that "the beauty of the boxes added points", i.e. when there was beauty in the boxes, that beauty counted for more points. Puntos is the direct object of sumaba.



            In (2) we have a plural 3rd person pronoun, los, which stands for puntos and is the direct object of the verb restaba. The subject in this proposition is the subordinate phrase «que tuvieran bigotes». That is: "that they had whiskers (or "having whiskers") subtracted them (=points)".



            "Normalizing" and making everything explicit, this would be




            La belleza de las cajas sumaba puntos, pero que tuvieran bigotes los restaba.







            share|improve this answer



























              7














              Based on the comment OP made in a different question ("I understand what the passage means, I'm just confused about how the Spanish grammar works"), I propose another way of analyzing the second sentence. To me it's clear that this is neither an impersonal sentence nor is the subject implicit.



              The sentence consists of two propositions coordinated by the conjunction pero:



              1. sumaba puntos la belleza de las cajas

              2. los restaba que tuvieran bigotes

              In (1) the subject is «la belleza de las cajas». It's after the verb instead of before, but that's not unusual in Spanish. What this proposition means is that "the beauty of the boxes added points", i.e. when there was beauty in the boxes, that beauty counted for more points. Puntos is the direct object of sumaba.



              In (2) we have a plural 3rd person pronoun, los, which stands for puntos and is the direct object of the verb restaba. The subject in this proposition is the subordinate phrase «que tuvieran bigotes». That is: "that they had whiskers (or "having whiskers") subtracted them (=points)".



              "Normalizing" and making everything explicit, this would be




              La belleza de las cajas sumaba puntos, pero que tuvieran bigotes los restaba.







              share|improve this answer

























                7












                7








                7







                Based on the comment OP made in a different question ("I understand what the passage means, I'm just confused about how the Spanish grammar works"), I propose another way of analyzing the second sentence. To me it's clear that this is neither an impersonal sentence nor is the subject implicit.



                The sentence consists of two propositions coordinated by the conjunction pero:



                1. sumaba puntos la belleza de las cajas

                2. los restaba que tuvieran bigotes

                In (1) the subject is «la belleza de las cajas». It's after the verb instead of before, but that's not unusual in Spanish. What this proposition means is that "the beauty of the boxes added points", i.e. when there was beauty in the boxes, that beauty counted for more points. Puntos is the direct object of sumaba.



                In (2) we have a plural 3rd person pronoun, los, which stands for puntos and is the direct object of the verb restaba. The subject in this proposition is the subordinate phrase «que tuvieran bigotes». That is: "that they had whiskers (or "having whiskers") subtracted them (=points)".



                "Normalizing" and making everything explicit, this would be




                La belleza de las cajas sumaba puntos, pero que tuvieran bigotes los restaba.







                share|improve this answer













                Based on the comment OP made in a different question ("I understand what the passage means, I'm just confused about how the Spanish grammar works"), I propose another way of analyzing the second sentence. To me it's clear that this is neither an impersonal sentence nor is the subject implicit.



                The sentence consists of two propositions coordinated by the conjunction pero:



                1. sumaba puntos la belleza de las cajas

                2. los restaba que tuvieran bigotes

                In (1) the subject is «la belleza de las cajas». It's after the verb instead of before, but that's not unusual in Spanish. What this proposition means is that "the beauty of the boxes added points", i.e. when there was beauty in the boxes, that beauty counted for more points. Puntos is the direct object of sumaba.



                In (2) we have a plural 3rd person pronoun, los, which stands for puntos and is the direct object of the verb restaba. The subject in this proposition is the subordinate phrase «que tuvieran bigotes». That is: "that they had whiskers (or "having whiskers") subtracted them (=points)".



                "Normalizing" and making everything explicit, this would be




                La belleza de las cajas sumaba puntos, pero que tuvieran bigotes los restaba.








                share|improve this answer












                share|improve this answer



                share|improve this answer










                answered Mar 26 at 19:54









                pablodf76pablodf76

                23.2k11569




                23.2k11569





















                    0














                    Basically, it is saying the following:




                    The professor awarded points to the students based on the beauty of their boxes
                    and took off points if the boxes had whiskers (imagine a mouse's whiskers...)




                    And for the following:




                    los restaba que tuvieran bigotes




                    First of all, "los" refers to the points and not the boxes, so using las is inappropriate in this case. It's already clear what he is taking the points off for (the boxes) so it is unnecessary to repeat it. No other prepositions are needed to clarify in Spanish, though from an English perspective, it is a different way of employing language.






                    share|improve this answer




















                    • 1





                      Sorry, I should have been clearer—I understand what the passage means, I'm just confused about how the Spanish grammar works.

                      – Alan O'Donnell
                      Mar 26 at 19:27















                    0














                    Basically, it is saying the following:




                    The professor awarded points to the students based on the beauty of their boxes
                    and took off points if the boxes had whiskers (imagine a mouse's whiskers...)




                    And for the following:




                    los restaba que tuvieran bigotes




                    First of all, "los" refers to the points and not the boxes, so using las is inappropriate in this case. It's already clear what he is taking the points off for (the boxes) so it is unnecessary to repeat it. No other prepositions are needed to clarify in Spanish, though from an English perspective, it is a different way of employing language.






                    share|improve this answer




















                    • 1





                      Sorry, I should have been clearer—I understand what the passage means, I'm just confused about how the Spanish grammar works.

                      – Alan O'Donnell
                      Mar 26 at 19:27













                    0












                    0








                    0







                    Basically, it is saying the following:




                    The professor awarded points to the students based on the beauty of their boxes
                    and took off points if the boxes had whiskers (imagine a mouse's whiskers...)




                    And for the following:




                    los restaba que tuvieran bigotes




                    First of all, "los" refers to the points and not the boxes, so using las is inappropriate in this case. It's already clear what he is taking the points off for (the boxes) so it is unnecessary to repeat it. No other prepositions are needed to clarify in Spanish, though from an English perspective, it is a different way of employing language.






                    share|improve this answer















                    Basically, it is saying the following:




                    The professor awarded points to the students based on the beauty of their boxes
                    and took off points if the boxes had whiskers (imagine a mouse's whiskers...)




                    And for the following:




                    los restaba que tuvieran bigotes




                    First of all, "los" refers to the points and not the boxes, so using las is inappropriate in this case. It's already clear what he is taking the points off for (the boxes) so it is unnecessary to repeat it. No other prepositions are needed to clarify in Spanish, though from an English perspective, it is a different way of employing language.







                    share|improve this answer














                    share|improve this answer



                    share|improve this answer








                    edited Mar 26 at 19:32

























                    answered Mar 26 at 19:26









                    KarlomanioKarlomanio

                    46029




                    46029







                    • 1





                      Sorry, I should have been clearer—I understand what the passage means, I'm just confused about how the Spanish grammar works.

                      – Alan O'Donnell
                      Mar 26 at 19:27












                    • 1





                      Sorry, I should have been clearer—I understand what the passage means, I'm just confused about how the Spanish grammar works.

                      – Alan O'Donnell
                      Mar 26 at 19:27







                    1




                    1





                    Sorry, I should have been clearer—I understand what the passage means, I'm just confused about how the Spanish grammar works.

                    – Alan O'Donnell
                    Mar 26 at 19:27





                    Sorry, I should have been clearer—I understand what the passage means, I'm just confused about how the Spanish grammar works.

                    – Alan O'Donnell
                    Mar 26 at 19:27

















                    draft saved

                    draft discarded
















































                    Thanks for contributing an answer to Spanish Language Stack Exchange!


                    • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

                    But avoid …


                    • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

                    • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

                    To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




                    draft saved


                    draft discarded














                    StackExchange.ready(
                    function ()
                    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fspanish.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f28961%2fconfused-about-a-passage-in-harry-potter-y-la-piedra-filosofal%23new-answer', 'question_page');

                    );

                    Post as a guest















                    Required, but never shown





















































                    Required, but never shown














                    Required, but never shown












                    Required, but never shown







                    Required, but never shown

































                    Required, but never shown














                    Required, but never shown












                    Required, but never shown







                    Required, but never shown







                    Popular posts from this blog

                    Bruad Bilen | Luke uk diar | NawigatsjuunCommonskategorii: BruadCommonskategorii: RunstükenWikiquote: Bruad

                    Modern approach to radio buttons

                    A word for worn pool table felt