Understanding “audieritis” in Psalm 94When did unsyncopated forms become archaic?When did the penult stress rule disappear?Do contracted perfects have long or short vowels?Comparison of Adjective to NounUnderstanding the stem(s) of 'struere'Understanding vowel quantity in fieriUnderstanding Lewis and Short: Why sūbĭcĭo and not subjĭcĭo?Literal translation of VulgateElevatis oculis?Understanding 'percepset' instead of 'percepisset'Understanding “jam nunc”Understanding the use of “regnavit”Understanding entries in Latin dictionary

Was there a Viking Exchange as well as a Columbian one?

Is it idiomatic to construct against `this`?

As an international instructor, should I openly talk about my accent?

Why does flipping a pencil across a table make it move like this?

What's the polite way to say "I need to urinate"?

TIKZ - changing one block into parallel multiple blocks

Question about かな and だろう

Does a semiconductor follow Ohm's law?

Symbolic Multivariate Distribution

Why is it that the natural deduction method can't test for invalidity?

Phrase for the opposite of "foolproof"

How exactly does Hawking radiation decrease the mass of black holes?

Will tsunami waves travel forever if there was no land?

Why other Westeros houses don't use wildfire?

Why was the Spitfire's elliptical wing almost uncopied by other aircraft of World War 2?

How to reduce LED flash rate (frequency)

How could Tony Stark make this in Endgame?

Interpret a multiple linear regression when Y is log transformed

Why did C use the -> operator instead of reusing the . operator?

"The cow" OR "a cow" OR "cows" in this context

Does Gita support doctrine of eternal cycle of birth and death for evil people?

What does "vanity" mean in "the creature was made subject to vanity", Romans 8:20?

a sore throat vs a strep throat vs strep throat

How to pronounce 'C++' in Spanish



Understanding “audieritis” in Psalm 94


When did unsyncopated forms become archaic?When did the penult stress rule disappear?Do contracted perfects have long or short vowels?Comparison of Adjective to NounUnderstanding the stem(s) of 'struere'Understanding vowel quantity in fieriUnderstanding Lewis and Short: Why sūbĭcĭo and not subjĭcĭo?Literal translation of VulgateElevatis oculis?Understanding 'percepset' instead of 'percepisset'Understanding “jam nunc”Understanding the use of “regnavit”Understanding entries in Latin dictionary













4















Consider the following excerpt from Psalm 94 in the Vulgate.




Hódie, si vocem eius audiéritis, nolíte obduráre corda vestra, sicut in exacerbatióne secúndum diem tentatiónis in desérto: ubi tentavérunt me patres vestri, probavérunt et vidérunt ópera mea.




I know that an English translation of the same Psalm reads, "If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts." At first glance, it looks to me like the present subjunctive should have been used and the translator should have written audiatis in place of audieritis.



I think audieritis is the future perfect (why isn't it audiveritis?), in which case a literal translation would be, "If today you will have heard his voice, refuse to harden your hearts." But this seems odd. Is there a certain Latin grammatical rule I'm missing? Why would the future perfect be used here? And why wouldn't it be written audiveritis?










share|improve this question
























  • The intervocalic v of perfect stems can often be lost (sometimes with contraction of the vowels to a single long vowel, sometimes without contraction). Here is a question asking about related contractions: When did unsyncopated forms become archaic?

    – sumelic
    Mar 26 at 23:06
















4















Consider the following excerpt from Psalm 94 in the Vulgate.




Hódie, si vocem eius audiéritis, nolíte obduráre corda vestra, sicut in exacerbatióne secúndum diem tentatiónis in desérto: ubi tentavérunt me patres vestri, probavérunt et vidérunt ópera mea.




I know that an English translation of the same Psalm reads, "If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts." At first glance, it looks to me like the present subjunctive should have been used and the translator should have written audiatis in place of audieritis.



I think audieritis is the future perfect (why isn't it audiveritis?), in which case a literal translation would be, "If today you will have heard his voice, refuse to harden your hearts." But this seems odd. Is there a certain Latin grammatical rule I'm missing? Why would the future perfect be used here? And why wouldn't it be written audiveritis?










share|improve this question
























  • The intervocalic v of perfect stems can often be lost (sometimes with contraction of the vowels to a single long vowel, sometimes without contraction). Here is a question asking about related contractions: When did unsyncopated forms become archaic?

    – sumelic
    Mar 26 at 23:06














4












4








4








Consider the following excerpt from Psalm 94 in the Vulgate.




Hódie, si vocem eius audiéritis, nolíte obduráre corda vestra, sicut in exacerbatióne secúndum diem tentatiónis in desérto: ubi tentavérunt me patres vestri, probavérunt et vidérunt ópera mea.




I know that an English translation of the same Psalm reads, "If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts." At first glance, it looks to me like the present subjunctive should have been used and the translator should have written audiatis in place of audieritis.



I think audieritis is the future perfect (why isn't it audiveritis?), in which case a literal translation would be, "If today you will have heard his voice, refuse to harden your hearts." But this seems odd. Is there a certain Latin grammatical rule I'm missing? Why would the future perfect be used here? And why wouldn't it be written audiveritis?










share|improve this question
















Consider the following excerpt from Psalm 94 in the Vulgate.




Hódie, si vocem eius audiéritis, nolíte obduráre corda vestra, sicut in exacerbatióne secúndum diem tentatiónis in desérto: ubi tentavérunt me patres vestri, probavérunt et vidérunt ópera mea.




I know that an English translation of the same Psalm reads, "If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts." At first glance, it looks to me like the present subjunctive should have been used and the translator should have written audiatis in place of audieritis.



I think audieritis is the future perfect (why isn't it audiveritis?), in which case a literal translation would be, "If today you will have heard his voice, refuse to harden your hearts." But this seems odd. Is there a certain Latin grammatical rule I'm missing? Why would the future perfect be used here? And why wouldn't it be written audiveritis?







classical-latin verbs vulgata syncopated-perfect






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited Mar 27 at 0:48









Draconis

19.2k22779




19.2k22779










asked Mar 26 at 23:00









Pascal's WagerPascal's Wager

3167




3167












  • The intervocalic v of perfect stems can often be lost (sometimes with contraction of the vowels to a single long vowel, sometimes without contraction). Here is a question asking about related contractions: When did unsyncopated forms become archaic?

    – sumelic
    Mar 26 at 23:06


















  • The intervocalic v of perfect stems can often be lost (sometimes with contraction of the vowels to a single long vowel, sometimes without contraction). Here is a question asking about related contractions: When did unsyncopated forms become archaic?

    – sumelic
    Mar 26 at 23:06

















The intervocalic v of perfect stems can often be lost (sometimes with contraction of the vowels to a single long vowel, sometimes without contraction). Here is a question asking about related contractions: When did unsyncopated forms become archaic?

– sumelic
Mar 26 at 23:06






The intervocalic v of perfect stems can often be lost (sometimes with contraction of the vowels to a single long vowel, sometimes without contraction). Here is a question asking about related contractions: When did unsyncopated forms become archaic?

– sumelic
Mar 26 at 23:06











1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes


















4














You might be surprised to learn that forms with -āv- and -īv- (amāvī, audīvī) are extremely rare in Classical Latin, considered archaic and pretentious by major grammarians! It certainly came as a surprise to me about a month ago, after eight years studying classics…



The upshot is, you should absolutely expect audīeritis instead of audīveritis. Contraction is more common than you've been taught!



As you've rightly surmised, this is a future perfect form. Literally, something like "you all will have heard". However, this "will have heard" phrasing is awkward in English. English uses the normal present instead, so in any context except a Latin class I would just say "if you hear".



As for why it's future perfect: Latin uses future tense for anything that hasn't happened yet. English doesn't always: consider something like "if you go to the store, make sure to get some eggs". If I'm saying this, you're clearly not going to the store yet. But English leaves off future marking after "if". In particular, Latin would use the future perfect, since it's describing something that hasn't happened yet, but has to happen before something else. The audience can't refuse to harden their hearts until they've heard him speaking.



As for why it's indicative: this is something the speaker actually thinks will happen. The listeners are going to go hear him. Subjunctive is used when it's not likely that the condition will actually come true (or, if you know it actually hasn't happened).






share|improve this answer


















  • 1





    I think that the i might be shortened in this context (I'd need to check to be sure). Leumann mentions a form "dormĭĕrunt", which seems analogous, although he also mentions "īerant" as a form of eo.

    – sumelic
    Mar 26 at 23:32












  • @sumelic Oh, interesting, I didn't know it was ever shortened! There's a lot I don't know about contractions it seems…

    – Draconis
    Mar 26 at 23:38











  • Also, I'm not sure, but based on Varro's answer here and the Reddit discussion here, it might be a bit anachronistic to talk about vowel length in the Vulgate.

    – sumelic
    Mar 27 at 8:04












Your Answer








StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "644"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: false,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: null,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader:
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
,
noCode: true, onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













draft saved

draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2flatin.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f9350%2funderstanding-audieritis-in-psalm-94%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown

























1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes








1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes









4














You might be surprised to learn that forms with -āv- and -īv- (amāvī, audīvī) are extremely rare in Classical Latin, considered archaic and pretentious by major grammarians! It certainly came as a surprise to me about a month ago, after eight years studying classics…



The upshot is, you should absolutely expect audīeritis instead of audīveritis. Contraction is more common than you've been taught!



As you've rightly surmised, this is a future perfect form. Literally, something like "you all will have heard". However, this "will have heard" phrasing is awkward in English. English uses the normal present instead, so in any context except a Latin class I would just say "if you hear".



As for why it's future perfect: Latin uses future tense for anything that hasn't happened yet. English doesn't always: consider something like "if you go to the store, make sure to get some eggs". If I'm saying this, you're clearly not going to the store yet. But English leaves off future marking after "if". In particular, Latin would use the future perfect, since it's describing something that hasn't happened yet, but has to happen before something else. The audience can't refuse to harden their hearts until they've heard him speaking.



As for why it's indicative: this is something the speaker actually thinks will happen. The listeners are going to go hear him. Subjunctive is used when it's not likely that the condition will actually come true (or, if you know it actually hasn't happened).






share|improve this answer


















  • 1





    I think that the i might be shortened in this context (I'd need to check to be sure). Leumann mentions a form "dormĭĕrunt", which seems analogous, although he also mentions "īerant" as a form of eo.

    – sumelic
    Mar 26 at 23:32












  • @sumelic Oh, interesting, I didn't know it was ever shortened! There's a lot I don't know about contractions it seems…

    – Draconis
    Mar 26 at 23:38











  • Also, I'm not sure, but based on Varro's answer here and the Reddit discussion here, it might be a bit anachronistic to talk about vowel length in the Vulgate.

    – sumelic
    Mar 27 at 8:04
















4














You might be surprised to learn that forms with -āv- and -īv- (amāvī, audīvī) are extremely rare in Classical Latin, considered archaic and pretentious by major grammarians! It certainly came as a surprise to me about a month ago, after eight years studying classics…



The upshot is, you should absolutely expect audīeritis instead of audīveritis. Contraction is more common than you've been taught!



As you've rightly surmised, this is a future perfect form. Literally, something like "you all will have heard". However, this "will have heard" phrasing is awkward in English. English uses the normal present instead, so in any context except a Latin class I would just say "if you hear".



As for why it's future perfect: Latin uses future tense for anything that hasn't happened yet. English doesn't always: consider something like "if you go to the store, make sure to get some eggs". If I'm saying this, you're clearly not going to the store yet. But English leaves off future marking after "if". In particular, Latin would use the future perfect, since it's describing something that hasn't happened yet, but has to happen before something else. The audience can't refuse to harden their hearts until they've heard him speaking.



As for why it's indicative: this is something the speaker actually thinks will happen. The listeners are going to go hear him. Subjunctive is used when it's not likely that the condition will actually come true (or, if you know it actually hasn't happened).






share|improve this answer


















  • 1





    I think that the i might be shortened in this context (I'd need to check to be sure). Leumann mentions a form "dormĭĕrunt", which seems analogous, although he also mentions "īerant" as a form of eo.

    – sumelic
    Mar 26 at 23:32












  • @sumelic Oh, interesting, I didn't know it was ever shortened! There's a lot I don't know about contractions it seems…

    – Draconis
    Mar 26 at 23:38











  • Also, I'm not sure, but based on Varro's answer here and the Reddit discussion here, it might be a bit anachronistic to talk about vowel length in the Vulgate.

    – sumelic
    Mar 27 at 8:04














4












4








4







You might be surprised to learn that forms with -āv- and -īv- (amāvī, audīvī) are extremely rare in Classical Latin, considered archaic and pretentious by major grammarians! It certainly came as a surprise to me about a month ago, after eight years studying classics…



The upshot is, you should absolutely expect audīeritis instead of audīveritis. Contraction is more common than you've been taught!



As you've rightly surmised, this is a future perfect form. Literally, something like "you all will have heard". However, this "will have heard" phrasing is awkward in English. English uses the normal present instead, so in any context except a Latin class I would just say "if you hear".



As for why it's future perfect: Latin uses future tense for anything that hasn't happened yet. English doesn't always: consider something like "if you go to the store, make sure to get some eggs". If I'm saying this, you're clearly not going to the store yet. But English leaves off future marking after "if". In particular, Latin would use the future perfect, since it's describing something that hasn't happened yet, but has to happen before something else. The audience can't refuse to harden their hearts until they've heard him speaking.



As for why it's indicative: this is something the speaker actually thinks will happen. The listeners are going to go hear him. Subjunctive is used when it's not likely that the condition will actually come true (or, if you know it actually hasn't happened).






share|improve this answer













You might be surprised to learn that forms with -āv- and -īv- (amāvī, audīvī) are extremely rare in Classical Latin, considered archaic and pretentious by major grammarians! It certainly came as a surprise to me about a month ago, after eight years studying classics…



The upshot is, you should absolutely expect audīeritis instead of audīveritis. Contraction is more common than you've been taught!



As you've rightly surmised, this is a future perfect form. Literally, something like "you all will have heard". However, this "will have heard" phrasing is awkward in English. English uses the normal present instead, so in any context except a Latin class I would just say "if you hear".



As for why it's future perfect: Latin uses future tense for anything that hasn't happened yet. English doesn't always: consider something like "if you go to the store, make sure to get some eggs". If I'm saying this, you're clearly not going to the store yet. But English leaves off future marking after "if". In particular, Latin would use the future perfect, since it's describing something that hasn't happened yet, but has to happen before something else. The audience can't refuse to harden their hearts until they've heard him speaking.



As for why it's indicative: this is something the speaker actually thinks will happen. The listeners are going to go hear him. Subjunctive is used when it's not likely that the condition will actually come true (or, if you know it actually hasn't happened).







share|improve this answer












share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer










answered Mar 26 at 23:23









DraconisDraconis

19.2k22779




19.2k22779







  • 1





    I think that the i might be shortened in this context (I'd need to check to be sure). Leumann mentions a form "dormĭĕrunt", which seems analogous, although he also mentions "īerant" as a form of eo.

    – sumelic
    Mar 26 at 23:32












  • @sumelic Oh, interesting, I didn't know it was ever shortened! There's a lot I don't know about contractions it seems…

    – Draconis
    Mar 26 at 23:38











  • Also, I'm not sure, but based on Varro's answer here and the Reddit discussion here, it might be a bit anachronistic to talk about vowel length in the Vulgate.

    – sumelic
    Mar 27 at 8:04













  • 1





    I think that the i might be shortened in this context (I'd need to check to be sure). Leumann mentions a form "dormĭĕrunt", which seems analogous, although he also mentions "īerant" as a form of eo.

    – sumelic
    Mar 26 at 23:32












  • @sumelic Oh, interesting, I didn't know it was ever shortened! There's a lot I don't know about contractions it seems…

    – Draconis
    Mar 26 at 23:38











  • Also, I'm not sure, but based on Varro's answer here and the Reddit discussion here, it might be a bit anachronistic to talk about vowel length in the Vulgate.

    – sumelic
    Mar 27 at 8:04








1




1





I think that the i might be shortened in this context (I'd need to check to be sure). Leumann mentions a form "dormĭĕrunt", which seems analogous, although he also mentions "īerant" as a form of eo.

– sumelic
Mar 26 at 23:32






I think that the i might be shortened in this context (I'd need to check to be sure). Leumann mentions a form "dormĭĕrunt", which seems analogous, although he also mentions "īerant" as a form of eo.

– sumelic
Mar 26 at 23:32














@sumelic Oh, interesting, I didn't know it was ever shortened! There's a lot I don't know about contractions it seems…

– Draconis
Mar 26 at 23:38





@sumelic Oh, interesting, I didn't know it was ever shortened! There's a lot I don't know about contractions it seems…

– Draconis
Mar 26 at 23:38













Also, I'm not sure, but based on Varro's answer here and the Reddit discussion here, it might be a bit anachronistic to talk about vowel length in the Vulgate.

– sumelic
Mar 27 at 8:04






Also, I'm not sure, but based on Varro's answer here and the Reddit discussion here, it might be a bit anachronistic to talk about vowel length in the Vulgate.

– sumelic
Mar 27 at 8:04


















draft saved

draft discarded
















































Thanks for contributing an answer to Latin Language Stack Exchange!


  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid …


  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2flatin.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f9350%2funderstanding-audieritis-in-psalm-94%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown





















































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown

































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown







Popular posts from this blog

Bruad Bilen | Luke uk diar | NawigatsjuunCommonskategorii: BruadCommonskategorii: RunstükenWikiquote: Bruad

Modern approach to radio buttons

A word for worn pool table felt