Why use “finir par” instead of “finir de” before an infinitive?When would one use “à” after a noun and before an infinitive?Why “de + infinitive” instead of “à + -ant" in “finissez de mourir”?When to use “de” before a verb in infinitive form?When does one use “à” versus “de” before the infinitive of a verb?Why do we use “au” and “aux” before country names?“finir en” or “finir par”Is the locution « finir de » commonly used with the meaning of « finir par »?Understanding the use of “de” before “autre”Use this insteadHow do you say “Today is Tuesday” in French?

What are the spoon bit of a spoon and fork bit of a fork called?

Why debootstrap can only run as root?

My ID is expired, can I fly to the Bahamas with my passport

What is the word which sounds like "shtrass"?

Why is Arya visibly scared in the library in S8E3?

Can I use 1000v rectifier diodes instead of 600v rectifier diodes?

Transfer over $10k

How did Captain America use this power?

I’ve officially counted to infinity!

How did Arya manage to disguise herself?

How do you center multiple equations that have multiple steps?

How to assert on pagereference where the endpoint of pagereference is predefined

Does the Darkness spell dispel the Color Spray and Flaming Sphere spells?

Is lying to get "gardening leave" fraud?

If Melisandre foresaw another character closing blue eyes, why did she follow Stannis?

Attending a conference where my ex-supervisor and his collaborator are present, should I attend?

Why do money exchangers give different rates to different bills

How did Arya get back her dagger from Sansa?

Why do freehub and cassette have only one position that matches?

Field Length Validation for Desktop Application which has maximum 1000 characters

A Warm Riley Riddle

Stark VS Thanos

Pressure to defend the relevance of one's area of mathematics

Is thermodynamics only applicable to systems in equilibrium?



Why use “finir par” instead of “finir de” before an infinitive?


When would one use “à” after a noun and before an infinitive?Why “de + infinitive” instead of “à + -ant" in “finissez de mourir”?When to use “de” before a verb in infinitive form?When does one use “à” versus “de” before the infinitive of a verb?Why do we use “au” and “aux” before country names?“finir en” or “finir par”Is the locution « finir de » commonly used with the meaning of « finir par »?Understanding the use of “de” before “autre”Use this insteadHow do you say “Today is Tuesday” in French?













6















While inspecting some song lyrics, I noticed this sentence:




J'ai fini par te pardonner.



(Je te pardonne chanté par Maître Gims)




I'm confused to see the preposition par before an infinitive, because all I've seen in the past is à and de.



If I were to write that sentence, I would have written it as:




J'ai fini de te pardonner.




with the meaning "I have finally forgiven you".



I feel strongly that par is in fact correct, but I have no idea why it's right and why de is wrong. Also what is the usage of par here?










share|improve this question



















  • 2





    Both are correct. Finir par means to end up doing smth. So the first sentence means "I ended up forgiving you" or "After some time I finally forgave you"

    – Teleporting Goat
    Mar 28 at 9:06











  • about me de iBug aux erreurs: Je suis seulement un étudiant du français et je fais souvent des erreurs.

    – LPH
    Mar 28 at 9:58







  • 3





    Even better: je suis étudiant EN français. And even better than better: j'étudie le français

    – Greg
    Mar 28 at 10:15






  • 3





    Note: There are much better songwriters than Maître Gims if you want to learn French, or, for that matter, listen to good music. ;)

    – Eric Duminil
    Mar 28 at 15:47











  • @EricDuminil Learning French is real, music is only appetite. and I do have some more experience in other Romance languages that I suppose may help to some extents

    – iBug aux erreurs
    Mar 28 at 16:05
















6















While inspecting some song lyrics, I noticed this sentence:




J'ai fini par te pardonner.



(Je te pardonne chanté par Maître Gims)




I'm confused to see the preposition par before an infinitive, because all I've seen in the past is à and de.



If I were to write that sentence, I would have written it as:




J'ai fini de te pardonner.




with the meaning "I have finally forgiven you".



I feel strongly that par is in fact correct, but I have no idea why it's right and why de is wrong. Also what is the usage of par here?










share|improve this question



















  • 2





    Both are correct. Finir par means to end up doing smth. So the first sentence means "I ended up forgiving you" or "After some time I finally forgave you"

    – Teleporting Goat
    Mar 28 at 9:06











  • about me de iBug aux erreurs: Je suis seulement un étudiant du français et je fais souvent des erreurs.

    – LPH
    Mar 28 at 9:58







  • 3





    Even better: je suis étudiant EN français. And even better than better: j'étudie le français

    – Greg
    Mar 28 at 10:15






  • 3





    Note: There are much better songwriters than Maître Gims if you want to learn French, or, for that matter, listen to good music. ;)

    – Eric Duminil
    Mar 28 at 15:47











  • @EricDuminil Learning French is real, music is only appetite. and I do have some more experience in other Romance languages that I suppose may help to some extents

    – iBug aux erreurs
    Mar 28 at 16:05














6












6








6








While inspecting some song lyrics, I noticed this sentence:




J'ai fini par te pardonner.



(Je te pardonne chanté par Maître Gims)




I'm confused to see the preposition par before an infinitive, because all I've seen in the past is à and de.



If I were to write that sentence, I would have written it as:




J'ai fini de te pardonner.




with the meaning "I have finally forgiven you".



I feel strongly that par is in fact correct, but I have no idea why it's right and why de is wrong. Also what is the usage of par here?










share|improve this question
















While inspecting some song lyrics, I noticed this sentence:




J'ai fini par te pardonner.



(Je te pardonne chanté par Maître Gims)




I'm confused to see the preposition par before an infinitive, because all I've seen in the past is à and de.



If I were to write that sentence, I would have written it as:




J'ai fini de te pardonner.




with the meaning "I have finally forgiven you".



I feel strongly that par is in fact correct, but I have no idea why it's right and why de is wrong. Also what is the usage of par here?







usage prépositions






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited Mar 28 at 9:25









LPH

10.9k1425




10.9k1425










asked Mar 28 at 8:32









iBug aux erreursiBug aux erreurs

2518




2518







  • 2





    Both are correct. Finir par means to end up doing smth. So the first sentence means "I ended up forgiving you" or "After some time I finally forgave you"

    – Teleporting Goat
    Mar 28 at 9:06











  • about me de iBug aux erreurs: Je suis seulement un étudiant du français et je fais souvent des erreurs.

    – LPH
    Mar 28 at 9:58







  • 3





    Even better: je suis étudiant EN français. And even better than better: j'étudie le français

    – Greg
    Mar 28 at 10:15






  • 3





    Note: There are much better songwriters than Maître Gims if you want to learn French, or, for that matter, listen to good music. ;)

    – Eric Duminil
    Mar 28 at 15:47











  • @EricDuminil Learning French is real, music is only appetite. and I do have some more experience in other Romance languages that I suppose may help to some extents

    – iBug aux erreurs
    Mar 28 at 16:05













  • 2





    Both are correct. Finir par means to end up doing smth. So the first sentence means "I ended up forgiving you" or "After some time I finally forgave you"

    – Teleporting Goat
    Mar 28 at 9:06











  • about me de iBug aux erreurs: Je suis seulement un étudiant du français et je fais souvent des erreurs.

    – LPH
    Mar 28 at 9:58







  • 3





    Even better: je suis étudiant EN français. And even better than better: j'étudie le français

    – Greg
    Mar 28 at 10:15






  • 3





    Note: There are much better songwriters than Maître Gims if you want to learn French, or, for that matter, listen to good music. ;)

    – Eric Duminil
    Mar 28 at 15:47











  • @EricDuminil Learning French is real, music is only appetite. and I do have some more experience in other Romance languages that I suppose may help to some extents

    – iBug aux erreurs
    Mar 28 at 16:05








2




2





Both are correct. Finir par means to end up doing smth. So the first sentence means "I ended up forgiving you" or "After some time I finally forgave you"

– Teleporting Goat
Mar 28 at 9:06





Both are correct. Finir par means to end up doing smth. So the first sentence means "I ended up forgiving you" or "After some time I finally forgave you"

– Teleporting Goat
Mar 28 at 9:06













about me de iBug aux erreurs: Je suis seulement un étudiant du français et je fais souvent des erreurs.

– LPH
Mar 28 at 9:58






about me de iBug aux erreurs: Je suis seulement un étudiant du français et je fais souvent des erreurs.

– LPH
Mar 28 at 9:58





3




3





Even better: je suis étudiant EN français. And even better than better: j'étudie le français

– Greg
Mar 28 at 10:15





Even better: je suis étudiant EN français. And even better than better: j'étudie le français

– Greg
Mar 28 at 10:15




3




3





Note: There are much better songwriters than Maître Gims if you want to learn French, or, for that matter, listen to good music. ;)

– Eric Duminil
Mar 28 at 15:47





Note: There are much better songwriters than Maître Gims if you want to learn French, or, for that matter, listen to good music. ;)

– Eric Duminil
Mar 28 at 15:47













@EricDuminil Learning French is real, music is only appetite. and I do have some more experience in other Romance languages that I suppose may help to some extents

– iBug aux erreurs
Mar 28 at 16:05






@EricDuminil Learning French is real, music is only appetite. and I do have some more experience in other Romance languages that I suppose may help to some extents

– iBug aux erreurs
Mar 28 at 16:05











1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes


















12














The meanings are different:



Finir par means this is the last action you will take in a process of multiple actions you had to follow, or from multiple options that you had to choose from.



J'ai fini par te pardonner means "after coping with other feelings, in the end, I have forgiven you".



You could extend the explanation that way:




Au début, j'étais tellement fâché que je ne voulais plus te parler, mais j'ai fini par te pardonner.




Finir de means the action has been fully completed.
J'ai fini de te pardonner sounds a bit weird as pardonner is usually not something that you decide to start and that should take you a while to complete, so as to mean "I started forgiving you some time ago, and now I have finished this action and you are forgiven".



Another example with another verb:




J'ai fini de réparer ma voiture.




means you have completed the action of repairing your car




J'ai fini par réparer ma voiture.




means you had the option to have it repaired in a garage, or even to not repair it at all, but in the end you decided to repair it yourself.






share|improve this answer




















  • 1





    Does this equal "finish to" vs "finish with"?

    – henning
    Mar 28 at 14:18






  • 1





    J'ai fini de te pardonner sounds to me as "I'm tired of regularly having to forgive you, so I'll stop doing it".

    – Eric Duminil
    Mar 28 at 15:45






  • 1





    @henning Not really. Maybe a closer approach would be "Ended up" like I ended up forgiving you.

    – Aziris Morora
    Mar 28 at 16:03











  • @henning Just noticed the exact same sentence has been given in the OP's post comments. Sorry for the redundancy :)

    – Aziris Morora
    Mar 28 at 16:04






  • 1





    @AzirisMorora I didn't spot that, so it's welcome redundancy. :)

    – henning
    Mar 28 at 16:09











Your Answer








StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "299"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: false,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: null,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader:
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
,
noCode: true, onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













draft saved

draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2ffrench.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f34475%2fwhy-use-finir-par-instead-of-finir-de-before-an-infinitive%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown

























1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes








1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes









12














The meanings are different:



Finir par means this is the last action you will take in a process of multiple actions you had to follow, or from multiple options that you had to choose from.



J'ai fini par te pardonner means "after coping with other feelings, in the end, I have forgiven you".



You could extend the explanation that way:




Au début, j'étais tellement fâché que je ne voulais plus te parler, mais j'ai fini par te pardonner.




Finir de means the action has been fully completed.
J'ai fini de te pardonner sounds a bit weird as pardonner is usually not something that you decide to start and that should take you a while to complete, so as to mean "I started forgiving you some time ago, and now I have finished this action and you are forgiven".



Another example with another verb:




J'ai fini de réparer ma voiture.




means you have completed the action of repairing your car




J'ai fini par réparer ma voiture.




means you had the option to have it repaired in a garage, or even to not repair it at all, but in the end you decided to repair it yourself.






share|improve this answer




















  • 1





    Does this equal "finish to" vs "finish with"?

    – henning
    Mar 28 at 14:18






  • 1





    J'ai fini de te pardonner sounds to me as "I'm tired of regularly having to forgive you, so I'll stop doing it".

    – Eric Duminil
    Mar 28 at 15:45






  • 1





    @henning Not really. Maybe a closer approach would be "Ended up" like I ended up forgiving you.

    – Aziris Morora
    Mar 28 at 16:03











  • @henning Just noticed the exact same sentence has been given in the OP's post comments. Sorry for the redundancy :)

    – Aziris Morora
    Mar 28 at 16:04






  • 1





    @AzirisMorora I didn't spot that, so it's welcome redundancy. :)

    – henning
    Mar 28 at 16:09















12














The meanings are different:



Finir par means this is the last action you will take in a process of multiple actions you had to follow, or from multiple options that you had to choose from.



J'ai fini par te pardonner means "after coping with other feelings, in the end, I have forgiven you".



You could extend the explanation that way:




Au début, j'étais tellement fâché que je ne voulais plus te parler, mais j'ai fini par te pardonner.




Finir de means the action has been fully completed.
J'ai fini de te pardonner sounds a bit weird as pardonner is usually not something that you decide to start and that should take you a while to complete, so as to mean "I started forgiving you some time ago, and now I have finished this action and you are forgiven".



Another example with another verb:




J'ai fini de réparer ma voiture.




means you have completed the action of repairing your car




J'ai fini par réparer ma voiture.




means you had the option to have it repaired in a garage, or even to not repair it at all, but in the end you decided to repair it yourself.






share|improve this answer




















  • 1





    Does this equal "finish to" vs "finish with"?

    – henning
    Mar 28 at 14:18






  • 1





    J'ai fini de te pardonner sounds to me as "I'm tired of regularly having to forgive you, so I'll stop doing it".

    – Eric Duminil
    Mar 28 at 15:45






  • 1





    @henning Not really. Maybe a closer approach would be "Ended up" like I ended up forgiving you.

    – Aziris Morora
    Mar 28 at 16:03











  • @henning Just noticed the exact same sentence has been given in the OP's post comments. Sorry for the redundancy :)

    – Aziris Morora
    Mar 28 at 16:04






  • 1





    @AzirisMorora I didn't spot that, so it's welcome redundancy. :)

    – henning
    Mar 28 at 16:09













12












12








12







The meanings are different:



Finir par means this is the last action you will take in a process of multiple actions you had to follow, or from multiple options that you had to choose from.



J'ai fini par te pardonner means "after coping with other feelings, in the end, I have forgiven you".



You could extend the explanation that way:




Au début, j'étais tellement fâché que je ne voulais plus te parler, mais j'ai fini par te pardonner.




Finir de means the action has been fully completed.
J'ai fini de te pardonner sounds a bit weird as pardonner is usually not something that you decide to start and that should take you a while to complete, so as to mean "I started forgiving you some time ago, and now I have finished this action and you are forgiven".



Another example with another verb:




J'ai fini de réparer ma voiture.




means you have completed the action of repairing your car




J'ai fini par réparer ma voiture.




means you had the option to have it repaired in a garage, or even to not repair it at all, but in the end you decided to repair it yourself.






share|improve this answer















The meanings are different:



Finir par means this is the last action you will take in a process of multiple actions you had to follow, or from multiple options that you had to choose from.



J'ai fini par te pardonner means "after coping with other feelings, in the end, I have forgiven you".



You could extend the explanation that way:




Au début, j'étais tellement fâché que je ne voulais plus te parler, mais j'ai fini par te pardonner.




Finir de means the action has been fully completed.
J'ai fini de te pardonner sounds a bit weird as pardonner is usually not something that you decide to start and that should take you a while to complete, so as to mean "I started forgiving you some time ago, and now I have finished this action and you are forgiven".



Another example with another verb:




J'ai fini de réparer ma voiture.




means you have completed the action of repairing your car




J'ai fini par réparer ma voiture.




means you had the option to have it repaired in a garage, or even to not repair it at all, but in the end you decided to repair it yourself.







share|improve this answer














share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer








edited Mar 28 at 9:39









LPH

10.9k1425




10.9k1425










answered Mar 28 at 8:52









GregGreg

7,6501125




7,6501125







  • 1





    Does this equal "finish to" vs "finish with"?

    – henning
    Mar 28 at 14:18






  • 1





    J'ai fini de te pardonner sounds to me as "I'm tired of regularly having to forgive you, so I'll stop doing it".

    – Eric Duminil
    Mar 28 at 15:45






  • 1





    @henning Not really. Maybe a closer approach would be "Ended up" like I ended up forgiving you.

    – Aziris Morora
    Mar 28 at 16:03











  • @henning Just noticed the exact same sentence has been given in the OP's post comments. Sorry for the redundancy :)

    – Aziris Morora
    Mar 28 at 16:04






  • 1





    @AzirisMorora I didn't spot that, so it's welcome redundancy. :)

    – henning
    Mar 28 at 16:09












  • 1





    Does this equal "finish to" vs "finish with"?

    – henning
    Mar 28 at 14:18






  • 1





    J'ai fini de te pardonner sounds to me as "I'm tired of regularly having to forgive you, so I'll stop doing it".

    – Eric Duminil
    Mar 28 at 15:45






  • 1





    @henning Not really. Maybe a closer approach would be "Ended up" like I ended up forgiving you.

    – Aziris Morora
    Mar 28 at 16:03











  • @henning Just noticed the exact same sentence has been given in the OP's post comments. Sorry for the redundancy :)

    – Aziris Morora
    Mar 28 at 16:04






  • 1





    @AzirisMorora I didn't spot that, so it's welcome redundancy. :)

    – henning
    Mar 28 at 16:09







1




1





Does this equal "finish to" vs "finish with"?

– henning
Mar 28 at 14:18





Does this equal "finish to" vs "finish with"?

– henning
Mar 28 at 14:18




1




1





J'ai fini de te pardonner sounds to me as "I'm tired of regularly having to forgive you, so I'll stop doing it".

– Eric Duminil
Mar 28 at 15:45





J'ai fini de te pardonner sounds to me as "I'm tired of regularly having to forgive you, so I'll stop doing it".

– Eric Duminil
Mar 28 at 15:45




1




1





@henning Not really. Maybe a closer approach would be "Ended up" like I ended up forgiving you.

– Aziris Morora
Mar 28 at 16:03





@henning Not really. Maybe a closer approach would be "Ended up" like I ended up forgiving you.

– Aziris Morora
Mar 28 at 16:03













@henning Just noticed the exact same sentence has been given in the OP's post comments. Sorry for the redundancy :)

– Aziris Morora
Mar 28 at 16:04





@henning Just noticed the exact same sentence has been given in the OP's post comments. Sorry for the redundancy :)

– Aziris Morora
Mar 28 at 16:04




1




1





@AzirisMorora I didn't spot that, so it's welcome redundancy. :)

– henning
Mar 28 at 16:09





@AzirisMorora I didn't spot that, so it's welcome redundancy. :)

– henning
Mar 28 at 16:09

















draft saved

draft discarded
















































Thanks for contributing an answer to French Language Stack Exchange!


  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid …


  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2ffrench.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f34475%2fwhy-use-finir-par-instead-of-finir-de-before-an-infinitive%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown





















































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown

































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown







Popular posts from this blog

Bruad Bilen | Luke uk diar | NawigatsjuunCommonskategorii: BruadCommonskategorii: RunstükenWikiquote: Bruad

Modern approach to radio buttons

A word for worn pool table felt